UCSF vs City of Hope vs UCLA for Hemepath

Started by heme2012
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

heme2012

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,
I am wondering if anyone has some idea/opinion about Hemepath fellowship in UCSF, City of Hope or UCLA. Any idea which one you prefer over the other and why

Thanks
 
Hi All,
I am wondering if anyone has some idea/opinion about Hemepath fellowship in UCSF, City of Hope or UCLA. Any idea which one you prefer over the other and why

Thanks

All I know about City of Hope is their hot shot pathologist Larry Weiss took a gig at Clarient in Orange County. I am sure it is still a great program as isn't it a huge bone marrow transplant/cancer place? But he was the only big name that I ever heard of in hemepathology from there. So it might have affected referral material. STC.
 
Thanks Pathstudent. I heard about it too and wondering how much of an impact his leaving has on the quality of the program and now how it compares with UCSF and UCLA
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Larry Weiss WAS really the CoH training program. Just as Battifora was before him and before him was some famous Jewish guy whos name Im blanking on....

What happened at CoH was INSANE (basically entire staff was fired/kicked off medical staff and then given the option of coming back on as lower compensated ACO type employee).
 
Are you guys saying that with Larry Weiss's departure City of Hope doesn't match up to either UCSF or UCLA?
 
Nathwani is at Cedars?!

That would leave Stanford as the only stable good Hemepath training program out here then...of course Im big fan of just teaching yourself as long as you have the material.