UCSF vs. Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrthisDrthat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

first of all thank you sdn for the support all along.
I have been accepted to couple schools and am deciding between UCSF and Colorado. Where would you go and for what reason?
This should help me decide a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

first of all thank you sdn for the support all along.
I have been accepted to couple schools and am deciding between UCSF and Colorado. Where would you go and for what reason?
This should help me decide a bit.

If Colorado is your state school then go to Colorado! SF is very expensive city!

Yea...I am CO resident.
but at the same time I feel like getting into UCSF is really hard and now that I have been accepted, it would be stupid of me to deny it!! see what Im saying?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea...I am CO resident.
but at the same time I feel like getting into UCSF is really hard and now that I have been accepted, it would be stupid of me to deny it!! see what Im saying?!

I think you should go to the cheaper school! At the end of the day we all become dentist regardless of which school we attend! You are from colorado and I think you can save plenty of money instead of renting and spending money in SF which is not very cheap especially for non-residents.

Yea, SF isn't really all that expensive. What boosts the overall cost of living in SF is the real estate, so if you want to buy a house, fork up half a mil.

There're local farmer's market-like grocery shops around here that you can get produce from. If you cook, meals will cost about a dollar or two. If you buy food, it'll cost 5-8 for basic stores. 9-15 for dine out restaurants. Live on student housing and it's 700-800 per month, and that includes electricity, cable, water, and ultra high speed internet. Live off campus, and it's more like 1200/mn and that includes nothing.

You can go to either school and get what you want. UCSF'll just make learning much easier. I am amazed at how ******edly easy dental school is and all the free time I have. At this time in the year, finals are coming up. I have more than enough time to prepare for them and go out to the numerous Xmas parties I've been invited to. It only gets easier 2nd year.

Last edited:
yeah, you've got a point.
the only reason why I would choose to go to UCSF would be because of its reputation. I think U of Colorado will be a chiller environment to study in (just based on its student-body culture), but I dont want to look back 4 years from now and wish I had gone to UCSF.

That's a really tough decision. Both are excellent schools. UCSF is a really tough school to be admitted to, especially since you're OOS..so I definitely feel you there.

Based off what I've seen though, people tend to choose their state schools because of the cheaper tuition among various other reasons. If I were you, I would do some hardcore research about the pros and cons of attending each school, ask professors/dentists/etc. that may be able to shed some insight, and most importantly ask yourself where you feel most comfortable.

Good luck! This is definitely a win-win situation, whichever way you look at it. :thumbup:

im in the same boat as you drthis. i loved UCSF and the city when i was there, but it is about 3 times more expensive (!!!) than my state school and another school i got a scholarship to.

lots of my friends and my dentist neighbor tell me to not worry at all about money. they tell me to just go wherever i liked the best and i'll have no problem paying the money back in the end. besides, they say, i'm not becoming a dentist for the money, so who cares?

and then there are those that say just go to the cheapest school (and don't get me wrong, i liked both cheap schools a lot, just not as much as UCSF!). so i don't know what to do! i guess i'll have to decide eventually...

Yea, SF isn't really all that expensive. What boosts the overall cost of living in SF is the real estate, so if you want to buy a house, fork up half a mil.

There're local farmer's market-like grocery shops around here that you can get produce from. If you cook, meals will cost about a dollar or two. If you buy food, it'll cost 5-8 for basic stores. 9-15 for dine out restaurants. Live on student housing and it's 700-800 per month, and that includes electricity, cable, water, and ultra high speed internet. Live off campus, and it's more like 1200/mn and that includes nothing.

You can go to either school and get what you want. UCSF'll just make learning much easier. I am amazed at how ******edly easy dental school is and all the free time I have. At this time in the year, finals are coming up. I have more than enough time to prepare for them and go out to the numerous Xmas parties I've been invited to. It only gets easier 2nd year.

Just hung out with a friend from UCSF last night (De la Hoya/Pacquiao) and costs came up. He said UCSF (including everything) cost him $60-68,000 per year depending on the year, and he's a California resident. The tuition for an in-state student at Colorado is $20,000 per year. Throw in a reasonable living expense (And yes, living in Denver is cheaper than living in the city with the SECOND HIGHEST COST OF LIVING INDEX IN THE US) and you're talking about a difference of half the debt going to Colorado.

To the OP: You'd be crazy NOT to go to your state school. Colorado is well regarded in the dental community, has (from what I've heard) and excellent dental program and has a very nice campus. You'll be getting this at one of the biggest bargains in the nation. Will the number of people you impress with the knowledge that you went to UCSF dental (You'll be able to count them on one hand) be worth paying back $300,000 (30 year pay back of the $120,000 difference)

Last edited:
At the end of the day you get your DDS degree, and I think if I were you, I was choosing my state school which is way cheaper than UCSF. When you graduate in 4 years you appreciate the fact that you pay less monthly fees to pay back your student loans. You can use that money to build your own practice. Anyway, it is your choice and good luck on your decision.

UCSF is an amazing school. Very Competitive to get into great name recognition, I have not visited the school but I have heard great things. Living in San Francisco would be more expensive but I think much more fun and entertaining of a city. Personally I would go to UCSF over Colorado. I say go to the school that you liked the most more than anything else including cost.

Just hung out with a friend from UCSF last night (De la Hoya/Pacquiao) and costs came up. He said UCSF (including everything) cost him $60-68,000 per year depending on the year, and he's a California resident. The tuition for an in-state student at Colorado is $20,000 per year. Throw in a reasonable living expense (And yes, living in Denver is cheaper than living in the city with the SECOND HIGHEST COST OF LIVING INDEX IN THE US) and you're talking about a difference of half the debt going to Colorado.

To the OP: You'd be crazy NOT to go to your state school. Colorado is well regarded in the dental community, has (from what I've heard) and excellent dental program and has a very nice campus. You'll be getting this at one of the biggest bargains in the nation. Will the number of people you impress with the knowledge that you went to UCSF dental (You'll be able to count them on one hand) be worth paying back $300,000 (30 year pay back of the $120,000 difference)

Is he living in a penthouse? He's spending at least 12k/yr more per year than Financial Aid allots for an in-state resident. Yes, I have friends that prefer to live alone in a $1700/mn + utilities apt. He absolutely refuses to live in a house with roommates, which is costing me about 700/mn including utilities.

SF has a rep of being one of the most expensive cities in the country (2nd-most, next to Manhattan), but that rep comes from real estate cost. That in turn drives up rent cost and some grocery costs. However, SF also has a rep for people living comfortably on bare minimum. (ie, the hippies and whatnot).

It comes down to small choices. Do you buy groceries at Andronico's/Trader Joe's or do you buy them at a farmer's market 2 blocks from UCSF? There's even a 2nd Chinatown in the Sunset where you can buy complete meals for $3 and groceries for relatively cheap.

This is relatively different from UoP, because Pac Heights is one of the most expensive regions of SF. I completely didn't see cheaper things when I was there.

Bottomline: SF can be a very expensive city, but that increased cost is virtually all absorbed by UCSF in terms of student housing. $700-800/mn including everything is a major steal, becuase the cost of living in SF is now largely equal to any other major city in the country. On top of that, we have time to enjoy the city.

Last edited:
Is he living in a penthouse? He's spending at least 12k/yr more per year than Financial Aid allots for an in-state resident. Yes, I have friends that prefer to live alone in a $1700/mn + utilities apt. He absolutely refuses to live in a house with roommates, which is costing me about 700/mn including utilities.

SF has a rep of being one of the most expensive cities in the country (2nd-most, next to Manhattan), but that rep comes from real estate cost. That in turn drives up rent cost and some grocery costs. However, SF also has a rep for people living comfortably on bare minimum. (ie, the hippies and whatnot).

It comes down to small choices. Do you buy groceries at Andronico's/Trader Joe's or do you buy them at a farmer's market 2 blocks from UCSF? There's even a 2nd Chinatown in the Sunset where you can buy complete meals for $3 and groceries for relatively cheap.

This is relatively different from UoP, because Pac Heights is one of the most expensive regions of SF. I completely didn't see cheaper things when I was there.

Bottomline: SF can be a very expensive city, but that increased cost is virtually all absorbed by UCSF in terms of student housing. $700-800/mn including everything is a major steal, becuase the cost of living in SF is now largely equal to any other major city in the country. On top of that, we have time to enjoy the city.

Even if he is living beyond what's budgeted, which I doubt is true (He has 2 roommates), there's no way you can compare the cost of attending UCSF as an out-of-state student with that of attending Colorado as an in-state student.

As far as the sunset/Pac Heights comparison, I pay as much as you do for my 2br/1ba with a roommate and it's 1 block from school. There's a Filllmore farmers market every weekend and a Safeway/Trader Joe's a few blocks away. You didn't see anything cheap because you weren't looking for it.

If I could be at a school half as cheap than the one I'm at, I'd be there regardless of how great I may think my school is, and CU is a great school anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you go to UCSF when you could go to your state school. At the end of the 4 years, you are a dentist regardless where you go. I wouldnt go to a school because it has reputation that is UBER expensive to stay at. Wouldnt you rather savve that 100k for a nice benz or beemer when you get out? Get my point? You would save airfare too.

The idea of living in Denver would have me quivering with excitement, but I am out of state so they said no. Go where ever you are happy. In the end you monthly payments will only be slightly increased by going to UCSF. Both schools will make you a competent dentist, just at which one do you personally fit into better and which one will you enjoy most for four years. Almost all your patients won't have a clue what school is on that degree, all they care is that you perform your work well.

Even if he is living beyond what's budgeted, which I doubt is true (He has 2 roommates), there's no way you can compare the cost of attending UCSF as an out-of-state student with that of attending Colorado as an in-state student.

As far as the sunset/Pac Heights comparison, I pay as much as you do for my 2br/1ba with a roommate and it's 1 block from school. There's a Filllmore farmers market every weekend and a Safeway/Trader Joe's a few blocks away. You didn't see anything cheap because you weren't looking for it.

If I could be at a school half as cheap than the one I'm at, I'd be there regardless of how great I may think my school is, and CU is a great school anyway.

Budget's 54k. He's spending 60-68k.

I'm in no way suggesting anyone come to UCSF. I too am drawn to a low cost school. I'm only saying that SF isn't costing as much as people carp about. It's a good city to spend your youth in.

OP this is something that could affect your decision. At the UCSF interview I was told you could become a California resident easily after one year and then get in-state tuition. Btw can anyone confirm that there is truth to this?

Something I think you should also consider (besides cost and other things mentioned above) is your support system. Are you comfortable being a long way from home by yourself? Or, do you have people you can count on near UCSF like you do at CU? Do you make friends easily or will you likely become lonely where you don't have your core group? I know it sounds trivial but I know several of my out of state classmates who are struggling being so far from home.

Something I think you should also consider (besides cost and other things mentioned above) is your support system. Are you comfortable being a long way from home by yourself? Or, do you have people you can count on near UCSF like you do at CU? Do you make friends easily or will you likely become lonely where you don't have your core group? I know it sounds trivial but I know several of my out of state classmates who are struggling being so far from home.

On the flip side of this I went to a whole new place for my master's degree and it was a welcome relief to make new friends who were like minded and goal oriented and also to leave all the old drama behind me. Really depends on your personality, I kind of like fresh beginnings.

I think that's a great point. :thumbup:

Keep us posted on your decision!

CO is one of my top choices.... COlorado all the wayy!!....greatgreat snowboarding resorts.!!
there's nowhere better than home sweet-home.!!!!!!!..

home is the best place to be. nothing better to practice at home when you get out.

OP this is something that could affect your decision. At the UCSF interview I was told you could become a California resident easily after one year and then get in-state tuition. Btw can anyone confirm that there is truth to this?

Correct. I hear it's actually really easy after one year

Guys,

you all brought up very valid points; thank you.
the move is not relly an issue, I have family in northern CA as well. But, aside from the financial aspects, I feel like i'll have a better time at cu, despite the fact that SF might be a more fun city to live in. the main reason being that, CU is a nicer, more advanced school; considering that we will spend most of our time at the school and not outside in the city, I think the school grounds and buildings play an important role.
I kinda equate UCSF to Harvard, and I just cant let myself reject their offer.
I am leaning more towards CU, however.
I will keep you all posted on my final decision.

thanks again

its a tough one :\ i've started leaning away from UCSF strictly for the cost... it's a shame, though.

good luck with your decision!

Guys,

you all brought up very valid points; thank you.
the move is not relly an issue, I have family in northern CA as well. But, aside from the financial aspects, I feel like i'll have a better time at cu, despite the fact that SF might be a more fun city to live in. the main reason being that, CU is a nicer, more advanced school; considering that we will spend most of our time at the school and not outside in the city, I think the school grounds and buildings play an important role.
I kinda equate UCSF to Harvard, and I just cant let myself reject their offer.
I am leaning more towards CU, however.
I will keep you all posted on my final decision.

thanks again

I feel your pain. I've been accepted to Harvard and I did like it, but there were 2 other schools I think I would enjoy more. So, the more I think about it the more I realize this decision is not solely academic, but how happy will I be for the 4 years I am there? That said, I am considering Harvard less and less. DON'T GO TO A SCHOOL JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE AFRAID TO TURN DOWN THEIR OFFER! If you're leaning away from UCSF despite it's name and great city and everything, then deep down you want to be at Colorado. Go to Colorado and you'll be very happy about it as you pay back a smaller loan amount.

Colorado it is.
good luck everyone. wherever you are.

Colorado it is.
good luck everyone. wherever you are.

that is the responsible decision imo. I am a D1 at Colorado and the whole campus is first class and brand new! Plus at in-state tuition it is a great deal for the facilities you get. I have wonderful classmates and we have a ton of fun even though we work hard. oh ya and congratulations.