UCSF vs. Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes another abc vs. xyz thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, there are tons of things that factor in to your decision. Cost, area, curriculum to name a few. Both schools would be great choices in your case due to your interest in research, but you would obviously save some serious $$ staying at home.

If I were in your situation, I would be asking myself if the difference in cost outweighs all the pros of attending SF. A lot of people on the forums will tell you to stay home because in the end you'll be a dentist either way, but there's also the crowd that says to go with where you'll be happiest regardless of cost.

Not really sure if that helped at all, but just some thoughts. Good luck! :thumbup:

now that's a tough choice...since u're from michigan, i'd go to michigan. if u were from another state, probably ucsf.

michigan also has bball + football games, a plus for me a least haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
study at michigan if u plan on practicing there. like patients know where ucsf is if you practice in michigan. they would probably prefer U o M than UCSF.

i have the same kind of problem OP. i've narrowed my choice down to UCSF and a school that is significantly (25k/yr) cheaper. but i've always wanted to live in california and SF was an awesome city. basically, you have to ask yourself if the price difference is worth the location and what comes with it, because that's all it boils down to. the extra money will be an extra 500-1000$/month when paying back your loans over 10 years.

i still haven't decided - it's NOT an easy decision. but the nice thing is, there's no wrong answer.

All signs point to go to Michigan....unless

You plan to live in CA and/or you just really need to get away.

You are right about the P/F system. It frig'n rules. I would wager you will have a better and tighter friendship with your entire class @ UCSF based on this alone. It takes all that cut-throat competitiveness out of the picture. Is that worth the extra money? Prob not....go to Michigan! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As a former Wolverine undergrad, I absolutely love Ann Arbor. I came from Nashville, TN to Michigan for undergrad and wouldn't change my decision for the world. That said, I say take a chance on UCSF. It's obviously a fantastic program and you might never have a chance/reason to move somewhere as cool as San Fran again.

Wherever you choose, I hope you do well. Good luck.

Where do you want to live after school? Both are great programs and seem very similar. Do you want to practice in california or michigan?

Hi, Im facing the same decision, but its more of a threesome with Columbia in the mix also. The UCSF vs UMich question is an interesting comparison because imho the schools facilities, research prowess, and reputation in the dental world are just about equal. I recently asked a michigan dental prof where I should go to school and out of my list of 9 acceptances he picked out UMich and UCSF as my best options. Its gotta come down to whether you want to live in SF for 4 years or spend another 4 in AA. I think the price tag difference not counting room and board will be about $40,000 at the end of 4 years if you go to UCSF... that might be worth living in that area. Although if plan on practicing in the midwest or on the east coast just about nobody there knows anything of UCSF.

Youd be best off going to school someplace that you can envision living and perhaps opening a practice. Its too early to know if you want to specialize but say you did, there are only a few schools that have a nationwide name that someone from anywhere in the contry will recognize the school. Easier to get into a specialty somewhere close to your school than someplace halfway accross he country.

where do you see yourself in the future?

Michigan or SF? pick the school were you will see your self practicing once you become a dentist

if its michigan, or even anywhere on the east coast, go to u of m and save some money

I'm in the same situation. Does anyone have input on P/F vs traditional grading? P/F sounds too good to be true, and would make dental school much less stressful.

Which school do you think has more national respect from dentists and non-dentists? (This really doesn't matter just curious, I would guess UMICH)

I'm in the same situation. Does anyone have input on P/F vs traditional grading? P/F sounds too good to be true, and would make dental school much less stressful.

Which school do you think has more national respect from dentists and non-dentists? (This really doesn't matter just curious, I would guess UMICH)

1) P/NP system rules!! End of story. It makes your dental learning experience so much better. Much, much, much less stressful. That's why they went to P/NP in the first place.

2) Non-dentists?? They have no idea what school is better! So, forget about that. They are clueless.

3) Dentists? This may be a biased opinion but I would say UCSF slightly edges out UMich on rep. Not by much tho so basically equal.

Both schools are great

Thanks, Pdizzle!

Can any SF people comment about rent. How much a month will I be spending, a range would be nice. I don't mind roommates at all, so I would definitely get a roommate to save some money? How about the student housing the mentiones, Mission Bay?

Thanks, Pdizzle!

Can any SF people comment about rent. How much a month will I be spending, a range would be nice. I don't mind roommates at all, so I would definitely get a roommate to save some money? How about the student housing the mentiones, Mission Bay?

Mission Bay with a roomate is quite affordable but still pretty far from the school. You gotta take shuttles back and forth and depending on what one you get they take about 25-45min. Mission Bay is nice tho. Great gym and little stores near buy. The Stadium is two blocks away.

I live in the Psi Omega Frat house. Room, utilities and food is just $550/mo. It's bout 5 min walk to campus. That's a lot of extra beer $ for you! The longer you stay there, the better room you get.

Apartments next to the school, for a studio, will run you well over $1,000(up to $1,500 for some,...but they are soooo nice).

A studio @ Mission Bay is about $1,100.

Look at the UCSF website and search housing and you can get a lot more info.

http://www.campuslifeservices.ucsf.edu/housing/

Mission Bay with a roomate is quite affordable but still pretty far from the school. You gotta take shuttles back and forth and depending on what one you get they take about 25-45min. Mission Bay is nice tho. Great gym and little stores near buy. The Stadium is two blocks away.

I live in the Psi Omega Frat house. Room, utilities and food is just $550/mo. It's bout 5 min walk to campus. That's a lot of extra beer $ for you! The longer you stay there, the better room you get.

Apartments next to the school, for a studio, will run you well over $1,000(up to $1,500 for some,...but they are soooo nice).

A studio @ Mission Bay is about $1,100.

Look at the UCSF website and search housing and you can get a lot more info.

http://www.campuslifeservices.ucsf.edu/housing/

Hey Pdizzle, I'll most likely be at ucsf next fall and am just starting to consider the housing options.

Can you provide some more info/details about the Psi Omega Frat house and your living arrangements. What's the atmosphere like? Is it similar to frat houses in undergrad (ie. UC Berkeley)? What are the pros vs cons?

Thanks Buddy

Hey Pdizzle, I'll most likely be at ucsf next fall and am just starting to consider the housing options.

Can you provide some more info/details about the Psi Omega Frat house and your living arrangements. What's the atmosphere like? Is it similar to frat houses in undergrad (ie. UC Berkeley)? What are the pros vs cons?

Thanks Buddy

I saw some people living in the basement of Psi Omega. But they had a big ole TV. Gotta love that! Yay for the essentials.

You don't get the option of frat houses til you join them once you're in school. Even then, upper classmen get them first. Get campus housing on Parnassus. It's a bliss waking up 10 min before classes start. Apply now. Move in early.