UCSF vs. Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westwardbound

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for yet another advice thread, but would love any perspective. Currently trying to decide between UCSF and Stanford to rank 1.

The way I see it:

UCSF:
+
Arguably the best clinical training
Got a slightly better vibe from residents and PD
City is more exciting

-
Less financial support
"Isolated" in the term that no undergrad/other programs for collaboration
Less moonlighting
Harder residency (although possibly this is a positive, might restrict research ops)

------- --------- --------- ----------
Stanford:
+
More unstructured time allowing for research (easier clinically - could also be a negative)
More tech heavy
Supported by a huge institution with undergrad / other programs
More financial support (salary higher, more benefits etc)

-
Palo alto not as exciting
Not as strong clinically with less breadth of cases
While more overall prestige, lower prestige in medical world

I'm currently going back and forth between them-- I'm sure either would be great but it's still very stressful to pick.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
I am a resident at one of the two listed programs. You will not go wrong with either. Both programs will get you the job you want (academic or private), there will be no big difference in career advancement from one place over the other and you will likely have similar research opportunities at both places. Moonlighting is great and the Bay Area is super expensive but financially I think you will come out close to the same from both places. My biggest advice would be to go to where you feel the most comfortable with the faculty and residents. The day to day interactions with your coresidents and attendings and how well you guys get alonge will be the biggest factor in your happiness.
Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,
I am a resident at one of the two listed programs. You will not go wrong with either. Both programs will get you the job you want (academic or private), there will be no big difference in career advancement from one place over the other and you will likely have similar research opportunities at both places. Moonlighting is great and the Bay Area is super expensive but financially I think you will come out close to the same from both places. My biggest advice would be to go to where you feel the most comfortable with the faculty and residents. The day to day interactions with your coresidents and attendings and how well you guys get alonge will be the biggest factor in your happiness.
Cheers!

Thank you!

Since you are a resident, quick question - is the housing stipend taxed like normal income? Running the numbers the difference in salary seems significant between the two places (70k vs 77k PGY2, up to 77k vs 90k PGY4). This probably should not be a deciding factor in the grand scheme of things, but confounded by the fact that UCSF seems to have little moonlighting the difference might get even more magnified...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just googling if housing stipends are taxed, it looks like they are not. But, I agree with you money is not an insignificant thing and should definitely be considered. In the same thread through, look at the entire compensation package; vacation, healthcare, retirement plans, 401k matching, etc.

In a similar situation -- what is moonlighting?
How were you able to get a chance to talk to residents, and what are PDs?
Where are the salaries for residents listed?

Thank you for any insight!

what is moonlighting?

Moonlighting is working as a physician (usually at an outside facility) to supplement a meager resident's salary while in a residency program. The pay seems amazing compared to part time work you are able to do as a med student. Some residency programs are OK with the practice, others forbid it, so it must be kept quiet. Once a physician is licensed, there is work at urgent care clinics, or through an agency that finds emergency department physicians, etc. Since this is a discussion about the relative merits of two radiology residency programs, I'm guessing these guys are discussing cushy nighttime teleradiology moonlighting gigs rather than ER work...

In a similar situation -- what is moonlighting?
How were you able to get a chance to talk to residents, and what are PDs?
Where are the salaries for residents listed?

Thank you for any insight!
You're looking for the pre-allo forum. This thread is about residencies.