UCSF vs UCSD ($)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muzic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to start another one of these... I'm wrestling a bit with this decision. Obviously, both are great schools with great opportunities. For me, though, there are a couple of differences.

UCSF -- my family lives in the bay area, and that's a big plus for me. Another great thing is that it seems like almost half of UCSF grads match at UCSF or Stanford (although probably a lot of self-selection there). If I were to guess where I wanted to live after med school, I would say the bay area. On the other hand, I'm hesitant about living in SF just b/c it is a big city and you get the big city vibe. That can stress me out.

Questions I have about UCSF -- is the step 1 time adequate (4-ish weeks total off)? I heard from a student that the school really doesn't emphasize step 1, but they obviously still match well, so I don't know how much that matters. Also, does anyone know how many hours of required lectures there are per week?

UCSD -- I received a merit scholarship that will make the COA about 50k less than UCSF, which gives me pause. Also, I liked the students and atmosphere a bit better (not a huge difference) at UCSD. The area around it is more to my liking, as well, just in that it's not smack dab in the middle of a city. The only thing I'm wondering about UCSD is how much harder it would be to match in the bay area than it would be from UCSF.

Thanks for reading and for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on great acceptances.

with that said, i did my undergrad at ucsd with family in the bay area. worth it. SWA flights were $39 and simple. if i could live in la jolla forever i would've.

i also had a UCSF vs. other school + $$$ situation.

I chose other school with $$ over UCSF.

i just had the feeling that ucsf is more...broke...than ucsd was. and the students at my ucsd interview were cooler, as were the applicants.

i;d say ucsd+ $$$, but you're not gonna go wrong either way though.

I interviewed and am waitlisted at both. I'd choose sd for personal reasons, but I loved UCSF. It's obviously elite. I thought the students were really nice and all had cool stories. Some of the UCSD kids seemed a bit stressed out to me on my interview day, but I liked them a lot too.

Sounds like having your family close by is important, and could be worth more than 50k difference in cost.

I obviously don't have too much new to tell you, but I think (as cheesy as this sounds) you should go with your heart. Great options, you probably won't regret either decision.

Congrats and best of luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
50K is worth the significant boost in residency placements that UCSF offers. While both are highly ranked, the match lists are generally better at UCSF. I would personally take UCSF.

Hey muzic!

Don't let any perceived differences between the match lists fool you. Both are absolutely top-notch schools in CA. I don't think you'd have any problem matching back into a program in the Bay Area. I mean, you get to rank your choices for residency. You could rank the Bay Area programs as your top choices regardless of whether you went to UCSF or UCSD. Sure UCSF might give you the opportunity to get to know some of the UCSF faculty in your department of interest, but then again, that's what away rotations are for if you're at another school!

Go with your gut and choose the school where you would be happiest for the next 4 years. In reading your post, it sounds like you're leaning towards UCSD! I'm not even factoring money into my post. That only sweetens the deal!

Nonetheless, congrats on the awesome acceptances. Good luck with your decision, and definitely let us know what you decide! :)

I would go to SF in your situation.

If in the future you want to go into academic medicine or have administrative positions, I would definitely pick UCSF since it's a more prestigious school.

I think UCSF because you want to stay/come back to the bay area. Yes, you can do away rotations and make the connections you need but it just seems a lot easier when you have that opportunity to work with bay area faculty at any time. Plus it's UCSF.

I can definitely see how that would be a tough choice, but I'd go for UCSD. Both are fantastic schools that will get you where you want to go, so if one of them is $50K cheaper than the other, why not take it? It also seems like you like UCSD better anyway, and with such a big price difference, SD just makes more sense all around.

Good luck in making your decision!

Living in the inner sunset isn't like living in the heart of the city (in case that decreases your big city anxiety).

Status
Not open for further replies.