UCSF vs. UPenn (Full Tuition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cousingregory

Reaction score
Faced with a tough decision and am seeking the guidance of SDN's hivemind. I appreciate any thoughts!

For context, I am open to exploring specialties. I am a CA resident and hoping to stay on the west coast/CA for residency. I probably would not qualify for much need-based aid from UCSF.

UCSF
Pros
  • True pass/fail, no AOA
  • Family is important to me and I get to stay close to family in CA
  • Work life balance: UCSF students are given 3 half days a week during preclinical
  • Much more excited about living in SF than Philly

Cons
  • Student loans to cover cost of attendance (~$330k, financial aid package still TBD). On interview day, I was told that there are no merit-based scholarships at UCSF
  • Less “name brand” outside of medicine, in the slight chance that I decide to pursue business instead of residency

Perelman SOM (Penn)
Pros
  • Full tuition merit scholarship
  • Potentially interested for dual MD/MBA program with Wharton (would need to apply for program as 2nd year medical student)

Cons
  • Only pass/fail for pre-clinical years
  • I loved my time at Penn as an undergrad, but I am less excited about the idea of spending 4 more years on the same campus. I was looking forward to living in a new city for medical school.

Summary: UCSF is close to family in CA, true pass/fail, and SF >>> Philly; however, COA is ~330k (financial aid package TBD, no merit aid).
UPenn will cover full tuition and interested in MD/MBA program at Wharton; however, less exciting to spend 4 more years on same campus as undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For that cost differential alone and no prestige difference I would go to UPENN. You will be able to match back to cali if you want to be close to family during residency. I am making a similar decision between UCSF and UTSW (full tuition) but this decision seems more cut and dry than mine in terms of financials, prestige, and Philly is still a decent city to spend another 4 years in. Also if you want to do an MBA there really isn't much better places to do one than Wharton.

P/F clinicals is nice but 230 K in your pocket is probably nicer lol

Reactions: 1 users
This is a fairly straightforward decision based on all the factors unless you absolutely cannot tolerate another 4 years in Philadelphia to the point where you think it will cause you to suffer in your schoolwork

Last edited: