UCSF vs. UPitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DougMan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to both UCSF and UPitt. I liked both schools a lot when I interviewed but I'm having a really tough time deciding between the two.

I'm a California resident, but after crunching the numbers with lower cost of living in Pittsburgh it seems that UPitt would be cheaper. If I got PA residency after the first year it could lower UPitt price even further, possibly 50-60k less than UCSF over 4 years.

I plan to look into specializing in something like OMFS heavily while in dental school, but could also see my self ending up just deciding to just do general dentistry.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't get to change to PA residency.

Last edited:
You don't get to change to PA residency.

I was doing some research and was under the impression that it could be possible, although I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. Even including OOS tuition at UPitt, it still seems the high cost of living in San Francisco would make UPitt slightly cheaper. I did also receive a small scholarship from UPitt. Is saving around $40k over 4 years worth choosing UPitt over UCSF? I've been told they are both good schools if you want to specialize. Or is UCSF's reputation worth the extra money?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ucsf COL is definitely higher than Pitt.

And they don't let you switch your residency at Pitt like ucsf.

Check the sheets they give you, add them up and then compare.

Go to UCSF literally just for Roger Mraz.

Reactions: 4 users
UCSF so you can learn how to blow a 3-1 lead.

Reactions: 4 users
I worked as a dental assistant for about 10 different doctors. I worked with a couple that both graduated from UCSF and they were far better dentists than any of the others. One was actually from Pittsburgh and was accepted, but chose UCSF. They both really enjoyed their experiences there as well.

I worked as a dental assistant for about 10 different doctors. I worked with a couple that both graduated from UCSF and they were far better dentists than any of the others. One was actually from Pittsburgh and was accepted, but chose UCSF. They both really enjoyed their experiences there as well.

Did they happen to mention their rationale for choosing UCSF over UPitt?

I've been accepted to both UCSF and UPitt. I liked both schools a lot when I interviewed but I'm having a really tough time deciding between the two.

I'm a California resident, but after crunching the numbers with lower cost of living in Pittsburgh it seems that UPitt would be cheaper. If I got PA residency after the first year it could lower UPitt price even further, possibly 50-60k less than UCSF over 4 years.

I plan to look into specializing in something like OMFS heavily while in dental school, but could also see my self ending up just deciding to just do general dentistry.

I received a $17,000 grant each year I attended UCSF (currently a D4). I did not find this out until Fin Aid awards were released each year around August. I also live in a fraternity house and pay $750 a month in rent. There are ways to make UCSF and your lifestyle in SF cheaper.

I received a $17,000 grant each year I attended UCSF (currently a D4). I did not find this out until Fin Aid awards were released each year around August. I also live in a fraternity house and pay $750 a month in rent. There are ways to make UCSF and your lifestyle in SF cheaper.

How likely or common is it to receive grants like this from UCSF? And do you know a lot of students stuck with an expensive monthly rent if they don't find a nice situation like yours?

Hey, I'm a student at Pitt. Feel free to msg if you had any questions.

I am in this same position right now and would appreciate any inputs.

Also in-state for UCSF, I am still looking at saving $24k if I attend Pitt due to their scholarship.

Is paying extra $24k worth it for Pass/Fail and better weather and other intangibles? Both cities are great with their pluses and minuses, I see weather being their main difference.

Specialization is not a high priority for me, I am open to it if I have talent but being a general dentist is fine. What I value is having the least stress, because I am not a gunner and learn best in collaborative environment.

I just don't know what value to put on having P/F vs. letter grades and maintain 3.25 GPA in my case. If you have any experience to share, I would appreciate it.