UCSF Waiting Game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drjacob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So its now been a few days past 8 weeks since my app at UCSF was completed.

On their website it says that they would notify you around 8 weeks. Anyone else been waiting a while to hear from them? Is no news necessarily good news...i.e. they are considering my app for longer?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, they have been sitting on mine for about 2 months now (since August 20th) and I haven't gotten a secondary yet. I know a few others are in the same position too. I think their site says you will hear "within 10 weeks", so I would just sit tight for a little longer. Just remember, UCSF is worth the wait. ;)

mine has been complete since july and still no secondary! anyone know if they really send out secondaries in November and later?

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't want to rain on anyone's UCSF parade, but they sat on mine for about 2 months and i just got my rejection today. i cannot speak for all cases, but in mine, the long wait meant rejection.
stats because everyone always asks as a follow up:
3.6, 36, and pretty good but perhaps too typical ECs

are you from california?

great mcat score! mine is nothing like that, so i'm sure my rejection will be coming right along!

i wish i could say i was from cali so i go to a UC school and so i wouldnt have to say in shame "i am from indiana"

I'd like to think that UCSF looks beyond the numbers. My file was complete 10/4 and I received an MSTP interview invite on 10/18. Albeit I went to Duke, my gpa is only 3.5 with 34Q. And I did not open an clinic in a foreign country, though I was born and grew up in Taiwan. Good luck everyone.

Z.

I was just going to start a thread like this today. I haven't been waiting too long, only about a month, but it's still frustrating nonetheless. My file was complete 9/24 (secondary + letters) and every day I log it to see the same message.

drjacob, if you're brave, you might want to call them/email them a nice message asking what's up? maybe they'll say "we're typing up your interview request right now"

Best of luck, everyone!

BananaSplit

I actually did call them today and they told me that they notify people of interviews by email and of rejections by snail mail.

Of my file she said that if I dont have either I just needed to wait for one of those to come along. She didn't seem too thrilled to speak with me but whatever......

UCSF definately looks beyond numbers. There are a number of people in my class who are interesting and very intelligent, but were only offered one acceptance, and that's because UCSF was willing to look beyond a bad year in school or an low MCAT section score to the whole person.

There is a lot of value placed on your personal statement and diversity of experience. And, they are very slow. Unfortunately for applicants, the time quoted is the earliest they will get back to you, not the time they actually will, so sit tight. If you need to call because they are a month later than they said they would be and the website looks wrong, okay, call. But not if they are a few weeks late.

There is one wonderful admissions secr'y, and if you call, you take up her time, and then you slow the process down for everyone, including yourself. So try to balance your need to know (or be told, no news yet) with the amount that you slow the whole office down.

Even though it seems like it will take forever (I got in >2 weeks before the school I was otherwise going to attend started) they do get everything done by the end of the summer.

Hope restored! Thank you, Paean! :cool:

I'm starting to get worried as well.

First, I submitted my AMCAS application on July 2. It wasn't given to UCSF until sometime in August, which made me REALLY mad.

Then, I check the AMCAS application, and it says that it has not been "transmitted" to UCSF, but has been to my other schools.

I check UCSF's status page, and they've gotten my AMCAS app, but said wait 10 weeks until I get word on a secondary. I know that time hasn't come, but I'm still worried.

Do you guys think that something's up with my application, or are we all just waiting for secondaries?

Dumb questions probably, since you're from the Golden State:

Did you submit the UC app for UCSF? It has to be an individual one for each UC, I believe. My instructions arrived on a pink post card, for what it's worth. Submitted mine in August. Waiting, waiting, waiting for response.

The UC application is the same for all the UCs. All you do is change where you mark the 'X' on the application to signify which school you applied to. :D

The UC application is the same for all the UCs. All you do is change where you mark the 'X' on the application to signify which school you applied to. :D

Just got the rejection letter today, i guess those are on their way now. i had heard that UCSF looks beyond the numbers, but now I think that is only if you apply as disadvantaged. For the rest they are strictly looking at the numbers.

X

Um, I think you need to define disadvantaged. If you are talking about ethnicity, it doesn't hold true of the 06 class. If you are talking about people with lower GPAs/MCATs because they were doing extraordinary things with their time and had a lot less study time than the average applicant, then yeah, maybe disadvantaged.

Personal statement and having incredible LORs are huge players in the application process, making it something of a issue of luck (was the reader having a bad day, etc.) and how well your recommender writes.

I'm sorry you got rejected, I know that's hard. But don't say its all about numbers. Best of luck with the other schools.

Bumpity Bump

Did anybody get any new news? Any interview invites? WAAH! Some news please.

BananaSplit