UDM students: HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chewy7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I will be going to UDM this fall and I was wondering if there is any upper year student from Canada here who I can talk to about getting loans, finding places to live, etc. OR, if you know a UDM student from Canada, could you help me get in touch with him/her? I got a tour by a 2nd year Canadian student (her name was Lisa) when I went down for an interview. Does anyone here know her?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am not canadian and I am relatively certain that none of my classmates read these boards. I will see what I can do for you though.

I think that the person who gave you your interview was Litsa since we were the second years when you came and there is no one in my class named Lisa. I do know that she lives in Canada and commutes but if you post or PM your name and email address I'll ask her to contact you.

As far as places to live I might be able to help there. Generally you want to stay north of 9 or 10 mile and south of 14 mile since you don't want to get too far from school. You'll want to stay close to highways. Some nice areas that are close to school are downtown Royal Oak, in Southfield near the junction of 696 and Telegraph Rd and Farmington / Farmington Hills near Grand River Dr.

Hey Dan,

I have been looking intensely on the Internet at apartments. I notice that the areas of Southfield and Royal Oak are a bit expensive compared to surrounding areas. One area I was interested in is West lands. Ideally I wish to avoid traffic in icy conditions! I am assuming Southfield and Royal Oak are very busy areas based on the number of motels listed in my tourist map. I did stay in Farmingtion Hill for my interview. At first impression it was a very nice area. I notice that there was almost no traffic on Grand river road an only took me 20 min to commute. Is this always the case?

Also, I want to tow my two wheel rear drive truck to Detroit. Is is possible to drive in snow with a 2x rear drive vehicle? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I am unfamiliar with snow, and want too know if this piece of $hit is worth the money I am spending to fix its problems such as the heater core.

Thank again for all your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, I don't know anything at all about the Westland area and I don't know much about apartment prices in area. I would think that if you're looking anywhere for places directly on a main road that it would be rather expensive. I also know that the Farmington Hills area is generally more expensive than other areas. Royal Oak and Southfield are rather busy but the traffic usually keeps flowing well. I have some friends who live near the downtown area of Royal Oak and they can get to school in 20 min or less because they're close to the highways. I've also heard that living off of Grand River Dr is a decent place to be but I haven't heard about traffic.

A rear wheel drive truck is certainly driveable but it would be harder to learn to drive in the snow than a front or all wheel drive vehicle.

Hi Dan. I PM'd you a couple of days ago. Did you get it? It was my first time using it so I'm not sure if I did it properly.

Thanks

Yep, I passed on your address on friday I think. If you don't hear anything in the next few days PM me again and I'll see what I can do for you.

Thanks a lot Dan.