Udm vs lecom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njamal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been accepted to Lecom, and potentially at UDM. I was wondering which school would have the better credentials since LECOM had just opened and all. Can someone give me pros and cons of the schools, and maybe an overview; comparing and contrasting the schools cirriculums? I know a lot of about LECOM but almost clueless about UDM.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hands down detroit mercy. don't go to the new schools unless you have to. IMO it takes 4-5 yrs to see what a new school was saying to entice students is actually true.

Members don't see this ad :)
Potentially = waiting list?

Then for now you're stuck with LECOM.

Take the first jet out of LECOM if you're accepted somewhere else.

You don't want to be a guinea pig for a new school's curriculum unless you have no choice.

If quality is the issue, UDM all the way.

I live in Michigan, and have put some time into looking at this school. UDM is decent didactically, but really shines with its clinical training. It's location (with lots of lower income neighborhoods sprinkled with middle/upper-middle class neighborhoods) provides a very large patient base, even for an urban school. The fact the school seems to have a clinical focus probably builds on this. It also has a relatively new, well equipped facility, but most of the schools I visited had this.

I have heard that the range of procedures at UDM is more limited than some schools, but given LECOM's model, their range of procedures will also be limited.

LECOM has no current class at any level (D1-D4), may or may not be able to provide access to federal student loans to cover tuition, and has little more than plans for a clinic. They also informed me, when questioned, that the PBL for the first year will focus significantly more heavily on clinical cases relevant to the medical students' whose classes you will take. This may change for subsequent classes, as they will have their own building. Lastly, I can't imagine that this school would be a good launching pad for entering a specialty.

That being said, because their clinical focus will be on the types of procedures typically included in the treatment plans of medicaid patients, should you want to enter high-volume medicaid clinics, or practice in low-income areas, LECOM might be a good pick.

So, if you live close to LECOM and want to stay near family, go there. If not, go to UDM. Price might also play a role, but I remember the tuition for those schools being similar, maybe with a slight edge to UDM?

If quality is the issue, UDM all the way.

I live in Michigan, and have put some time into looking at this school. UDM is decent didactically, but really shines with its clinical training. It's location (with lots of lower income neighborhoods sprinkled with middle/upper-middle class neighborhoods) provides a very large patient base, even for an urban school. The fact the school seems to have a clinical focus probably builds on this. It also has a relatively new, well equipped facility, but most of the schools I visited had this.

I have heard that the range of procedures at UDM is more limited than some schools, but given LECOM's model, their range of procedures will also be limited.

LECOM has no current class at any level (D1-D4), may or may not be able to provide access to federal student loans to cover tuition, and has little more than plans for a clinic. They also informed me, when questioned, that the PBL for the first year will focus significantly more heavily on clinical cases relevant to the medical students' whose classes you will take. This may change for subsequent classes, as they will have their own building. Lastly, I can't imagine that this school would be a good launching pad for entering a specialty.

That being said, because their clinical focus will be on the types of procedures typically included in the treatment plans of medicaid patients, should you want to enter high-volume medicaid clinics, or practice in low-income areas, LECOM might be a good pick.

So, if you live close to LECOM and want to stay near family, go there. If not, go to UDM. Price might also play a role, but I remember the tuition for those schools being similar, maybe with a slight edge to UDM?

+1 :thumbup:

UDM is a pretty sweet school for these reasons. UDM graduates are supposedly very clinically strong - for recent grads - and therefore more capable right out of the gate. And don't worry about the neighborhood. There are nice places to live ~20 minutes away.

The weather would be nicer at lecom though. And I would think some surf, sun, and bikinis would make for a great weekend stress reliever.

Deciding between UDM and Lecom is like deciding between a Mercedes and a Kia.

Deciding between UDM and Lecom is like deciding between a Mercedes and a Kia.

i don't know that i would call UDM the Mercedes of dental schools, but it would be the easy pick in this decision.

i don't know that i would call UDM the Mercedes of dental schools, but it would be the easy pick in this decision.

Your right, I wouldn't call it a Mercedes either. Its clinical program is more like a Ferrari.

Your right, I wouldn't call it a Mercedes either. Its clinical program is more like a Ferrari.

Thank you hifive!,

After seeing the new school three times, I think the cost is absolutely worth it. I've seen an absolutely one of kind super nice endo microscope/chair and I can't wait to see what else they have.:laugh: