UF Class of 2009!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey All!
I'm so supremely happy right now because my finals are FINALLY over, sorry I haven't posted in a while...I was somewhat preoccupied the last few weeks...it feels great to know that there will be no more studying (for three months at least!) and have graduation in a week! How goes everyone else's senior year? Except of course for you AlterEgo, you've had all of last year off from school!
Welcome tinanina! Nice to see more of us on this thread :) Research at the NIH sounds awesome and it must have been a nice change of pace from studying at college...and I'm really excited about UF too but now I can wait a while before studying all that studying again, my brain needed way too long to recover from the insanity of the last month!

Members don't see this ad.

Well ocean, it turns out I will be researching on rats this summer LOL. But I was there for the procedure and it wasn't bad. Rat surgery yay!!! I just hope I'm not elected the person to gas them at the end of the experiments. I also must resist any urges to attempt adoption of rats. My boyfriend threatened to let them go if I got more. :D

I'm really impressed with UF's research program. It is very well organized and Dr. Sumners who runs it is super nice (and from what my boyfriend has told me he is one of the best teachers too).

To doctormo - check out mdapplicants. My profile is linked below.

Did anyone get their financial aid package? Mine came in the mail today.

Our budget for the year is $34,798 - which estimates a 10% increase in tuition. Actual tuition has not been decided yet.

Keep this award letter handy when you guys are signing a lease for an apt. Most if not all require you prove you are going to have the money to pay for the apt. They usually take a fin. aid letter as good enough proof.

Just curious did anyone get a COM scholarship - for how much? I am just curious what the average grant money they give out is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey AlterEgo, thats really funny that you ended up doing research on rats this summer...hopefully you won't get too attached! Plus any kinda surgery is awesome so should be interesting! I really want to start doing research early on too...I guess I'll look into it in the fall.

I didn't get my financial aid package yet but I was a day late (AGH!!!) in getting my stuff in so I might not get it for a while...wonder when we'll find out exact tuition...but at least our 34 grand is including more than tution, there are tons of schools out there where that is just the tuition!

Well back to relaxing during our senior week before graduation!

Bump. Has anybody else decided on UF? I thought we'd get some more people since it is so close to May 15.

Hey guys!

Does anyone know what happened to the housing website, i can't seem to access it anymore?

Gainesville Place, Hawaiin Village, Lexington Crossings,
Hidden Lakes(I recommend for med and grad students), Uptown Village(real nice),
it usually starts out $450/month renting a room in 4/4
high end is $500-600/month renting a room in a 2/2

i dont recommend renting a house, because landlords should be more aptly named slum lords....

Haile plantation is far/ a little pricey but definately worth it if you can find a roomate...

Del

Sunflower128 said:
Hey guys! i'll also be joining you guys in august...i really liked UF when I interviewed there, but i dont know much about Gainesville. Where are the best places to live?? What's the rent like? Any help would be appreciated!

DelAGator said:
Gainesville Place, Hawaiin Village, Lexington Crossings,
Hidden Lakes(I recommend for med and grad students), Uptown Village(real nice),
it usually starts out $450/month renting a room in 4/4
high end is $500-600/month renting a room in a 2/2

i dont recommend renting a house, because landlords should be more aptly named slum lords....

Haile plantation is far/ a little pricey but definately worth it if you can find a roomate...

Del

Don't stalk me but I'm living in BrandyWine. It isn't advertised in apartment guides but it is really, really close to the hospital and rent is $600 for a 2/2 1200 sq. ft. apartment. That is for the *whole* apartment not just a room. Unless you are getting major parental help the other apartments mentioned above are way too pricey for our budget.

I just moved in and loooove it. Granted, we got a really nice unit that was previously owned by the people that work the front office. The management seems really nice to work with too. I "interviewed" a few random residents when I was researching the place (basically I just walked up to anyone who seemed to live there) and everyone seemed to think the office was really receptive to fixing things and such - which is *really* important.

Have they desposited your deposit check yet?

I hand delievered my deposit at the beginning of May and they haven't deposited the check. I'm starting to get worried that there is a problem.

And as for football tickets I found out like two months ago that I got tickets in an email. Sorry, hope I didn't just totally bum anyone out. Although, I did go here for undergrad and registered when everyone else did so maybe there's still hope.

I assumed they cashed it but I never checked. It was back in October. Why don't you call the office and ask what is up. They are really nice, especially to accepted students.

Hey all!
AlterEgo, Brandywine sounds really nice online and I had called them a week ago but they didn't have any studios or one bedrooms...I'm really leaning towards having my own place so I'm looking for one bedrooms or studios. I've called a bunch of places already but if anyone has any recomendations please let me know!
Has anyone heard anything else from UF? Wonder when we're gonna get an orientation packet or forms or something...or at least a class email list...the class should probably be set now right?

ocean42 said:
Hey all!
AlterEgo, Brandywine sounds really nice online and I had called them a week ago but they didn't have any studios or one bedrooms...I'm really leaning towards having my own place so I'm looking for one bedrooms or studios. I've called a bunch of places already but if anyone has any recomendations please let me know!
Has anyone heard anything else from UF? Wonder when we're gonna get an orientation packet or forms or something...or at least a class email list...the class should probably be set now right?

I got an immunization form. Nothing else though. The first years just finished this Friday so we are the new first years!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump... needs to be moved to the class of forum.

Hey everybody! Alterego, sorry I haven't posted in forever...I've been so busy. How about u, how goes the research? Has anyone else gotten their books yet, I got mine off of half.com and amazon and they just started coming in. I'm so not looking forward to studying again...but at least they weren't as expensive as I thought they were going to be...thank god for used books!
Thanks for the link for our schedule, Alterego...it all seems much more real now. I'm looking forward to actually getting started.
Does anyone know what else is going to happen in orientation besides writing the class code of ethics and id pictures, and more than likely an introduction to the classes we'll be taking?
And anyone else out there, come on, don't be shy, introduce yourselves!

Sorry for the quick short post earlier without introduction, I was stressed and worried. Probably soon to be my way of life :rolleyes:

Now for facts about me:
Age 22
Undergrad: UF
Sex: female
hometown: G'ville, FL
major: chemistry
interests: gator football :D, drawing, singing, intramural sports, and that's all I'm gonna put for now before I start sounding like I'm filling out an application again.

I do drink but only on weekends and only when I feel like it :)

Have a great summer! See you August 16!

oh yea and they did eventuallly deposit my check, just in case anyone was wondering

Hey everyone... I'm in Gainesville and mostly bored.

My research requires me to go in to work everyday so I can't get away from G-Ville to visit my friends back home. If anybody is going to be in town, let me know. I expect people should be moving in at the beginning of next month.

Looking forward to meeting you all :)

Tamara

Hey all!
Congrats on getting in NewYorkaise! I sent you a PM with the password...hope you end up getting instate tuition because out of state is so much more expensive!
I really like the Big Sib/Little Sib thing, my big sib is really cool and said not to stress but the first semester is supposed to be insanely stressful. But that's what we all signed up for right?! Oh well, we're going to go through a baptism by fire I guess...
As far as moving in to Gainesville, I wish I was there already but it works out that I can't be fully moved in until the weekend before orientation. Speaking of orientation, the schedule they sent us makes it seem like its going to be really busy but I think it will definately help us get to know each other. It will be so wierd being with such a small group of people compared to college but it should be fun. See you all in three weeks, I can't wait! (Except for the studying part, that I can definately wait for, or better yet let's just get rid of that all together!)

If anyone doesn't already know about it, there is a really good link on the UF student affairs website that's called Orientation for First Year Students. http://www.med.ufl.edu/oea/osa/first_year.shtml
It has all the information we were mailed including the book list NewYorkaise! But I found it by accident so I wanted to pass it on. See ya!

Everyone working hard on your code of ethics? Don't forget they are due Aug. 1. :p

Crud. I forgot about that stupid code of ethics. I guess I'm a few days late (oops) hehe I'll just turn something in tonight.

Hi guys!! I am an M2 at UF COM and I was just wondering if they had sent you any instructions to sign up for your class listserve yet? I remember we did it during the summer last year, and I was just wondering if they had told you guys how to do it yet?? (I need to send a message to your class for something!) Anyway...if someone could reply or PM me and let me know...that'd be great...hope all is going well and enjoy your last few weeks of summer!!!!!

Orientation starts on Tuesday! Anyone else extremely scared and yet excited...can't believe medical school is actually starting...
See you all Tuesday!

hey! does anyone know where and at what time we are meeting for Orientation tomorrow??

Registration begins at 7:30 AM in room C1-15 of the Communicore. And it's business attire because our class picture is going to be taken, plus our ID pics. See you all way too early tomorrow morning!