UF Class of 2009!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocean42

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just wanted to start a thread for all of us planning on attending UF starting fall 2005! I, for one, am really excited and can't wait to get more info and find an apartment, etc...so feel free to post anything and everything related to our class of 2009!
I don't really know all that much about it because I didn't go there for undergrad but if anyone else does...be my guest...
See you all August 16 in Gainesville!

Members don't see this ad.

ocean42 said:
Hey guys, I just wanted to start a thread for all of us planning on attending UF starting fall 2005! I, for one, am really excited and can't wait to get more info and find an apartment, etc...so feel free to post anything and everything related to our class of 2009!
I don't really know all that much about it because I didn't go there for undergrad but if anyone else does...be my guest...
See you all August 16 in Gainesville!

hey ocean. I'll be with you there on august 16th.
I also didn't go to UF undergrad, but everybody else in my faimly did, so I'm at least a little familiar with G'ville.
I interviewed on 12/10 and really liked what I saw. All the fellow interviewees seemed very bright and friendly. It makes me excited to meet all of our classmates.
From what I've seen of these class threads, asking questions sems to get them going, so I'll throw one out. Anybody know if there is any kind of computer reuirement or recommendation? Some schools seem to be wireless crazy and a laptop is at least highly recommended, if not required. Just wondering where UF falls in that spectrum. My old desktop gets me by now, but it wouldn't break my heart if I had to upgrade to a new toy.

All the links for computer requirements I could find didn't work, so it took me a while before I actually found the page...they may be planning on changing it and that is why the links don't work, but I'm not sure. Anyway here it is:
http://medinfo.ufl.edu/omi/docs/students/compreq.html

Basically they require you to have a comp and access to the internet but laptops and/or handhelds are not required as of yet. I already have a laptop that I love but I might end up getting a handheld...after I see what the second, third and fourth years have...

Is it just me or do you feel that they haven't given us much info? No sort of orientation packet or anything...I wonder if they are waiting till May when they have a full class. I guess I may be a little impatient, I'm an information junkie...

So, anyone have info on apartments or feasibilities of cars/parking??

Members don't see this ad :)
ocean42 said:
All the links for computer requirements I could find didn't work, so it took me a while before I actually found the page...they may be planning on changing it and that is why the links don't work, but I'm not sure. Anyway here it is:
http://medinfo.ufl.edu/omi/docs/students/compreq.html

Basically they require you to have a comp and access to the internet but laptops and/or handhelds are not required as of yet. I already have a laptop that I love but I might end up getting a handheld...after I see what the second, third and fourth years have...

Is it just me or do you feel that they haven't given us much info? No sort of orientation packet or anything...I wonder if they are waiting till May when they have a full class. I guess I may be a little impatient, I'm an information junkie...

So, anyone have info on apartments or feasibilities of cars/parking??

Thanks, Ocean.

I had noticed the broken links on our class page, as well. I just didn't do the detective work you did. Since I have the minimums required, I'll just wait and see about a laptop and/or PDA.

I also have been curious about the parking situation. My fiance and I have started looking for condos. We started the search within a few miles of school to facilitate biking, but now we are also considering options a little farther away.

Ben

Guys,

Just got back from their Revisit Weekend for Minorities, and let me tell you, I had a GREAT time.

The students there are really down to earth, friendly, and the fellow 2009ers for next year that I met were all unique and tons of fun.

The class of 2009 should be a real fun one.

MiaFLSurf said:
Guys,

Just got back from their Revisit Weekend for Minorities, and let me tell you, I had a GREAT time.

The students there are really down to earth, friendly, and the fellow 2009ers for next year that I met were all unique and tons of fun.

The class of 2009 should be a real fun one.

Good to hear.

Your post is somewhat mysterious as to where you are going. Made up your mind yet?

That's awesome MiaFLSurf! I wish I could take some time and fly down to Gainesville for a weekend but it just won't work out this semester...were the people there deciding if they wanted to go to UF or were sure about it? I am really looking forward to meeting the class. Hopefully we'll end up with nice fun people!
As far as apartments...I've been looking online but I have to wait till this summer before going on an in person hunt. What I'm really interested is an apartment swap list like the one they had on the class of 2008 website...first years can see if they want an outgoing fourth year's apartment.
Question: How feasible are cars? I mean as far as driving to class or should you just walk/bus it there? I plan on having a car to drive home, etc, but I hear parking can be a problem on the campus...

ocean42 said:
That's awesome MiaFLSurf! I wish I could take some time and fly down to Gainesville for a weekend but it just won't work out this semester...were the people there deciding if they wanted to go to UF or were sure about it? I am really looking forward to meeting the class. Hopefully we'll end up with nice fun people!
As far as apartments...I've been looking online but I have to wait till this summer before going on an in person hunt. What I'm really interested is an apartment swap list like the one they had on the class of 2008 website...first years can see if they want an outgoing fourth year's apartment.
Question: How feasible are cars? I mean as far as driving to class or should you just walk/bus it there? I plan on having a car to drive home, etc, but I hear parking can be a problem on the campus...

To answer both posts-
Firstly, Im undecided still, but I believe I was really the only one that was, most of the other invites had made up their mind to attend there next Fall. I will say - it is going to be VERY HARD for any other school's invite weekend to match the great time I had with the fellow 09ers and current first class students I met at UF.

Cars - we asked about that...having a car is really a good thing to get around in Gainseville, but most people live close enough to campus to walk to class or ride a bike. To go out at night, however, (thats one thing I loved, the students there still find time for fun), a car is pretty much required. Parking isnt a big problem, just get there a little early to get a good spot I heard.

MiaFLSurf said:
To answer both posts-
Firstly, Im undecided still, but I believe I was really the only one that was, most of the other invites had made up their mind to attend there next Fall. I will say - it is going to be VERY HARD for any other school's invite weekend to match the great time I had with the fellow 09ers and current first class students I met at UF.

Cars - we asked about that...having a car is really a good thing to get around in Gainseville, but most people live close enough to campus to walk to class or ride a bike. To go out at night, however, (thats one thing I loved, the students there still find time for fun), a car is pretty much required. Parking isnt a big problem, just get there a little early to get a good spot I heard.
Hi MiaFLSurf,
I was supposed to attend last weekend as well...but transportation fell through at the last minute. Can I ask if the faculty, admissions, current students presented any new academically related info. during the weekend that influenced your decision? I am also undecided as of now and will be going to another second look this weekend. The social scene is not as important to me as I'm a nontraditional student and will probably be home most of the time!
Thanks!

I have a question, are you guys getting mail about these second look weekends? Or did you call the admissions office about them? Because I didn't hear about them. The minority one would make sense because I'm not technically considered a minority in medical school...but anyway, just wondering...

ocean42 said:
I have a question, are you guys getting mail about these second look weekends? Or did you call the admissions office about them? Because I didn't hear about them. The minority one would make sense because I'm not technically considered a minority in medical school...but anyway, just wondering...
I received an email followed by a letter about the one for minority students. Other than that I haven't heard anything besides the email about Financial Aid.

ocean42 said:

Well, today I received a guide for incoming students from them. Has some interesting information, but none of the specifics that we have been discussing. It's mostly touchy-feely, "Don't Freak Out" type of stuff. At least it is some information, though.

Plus I learned a new word... Gubernaculum

I'm sure you'll get it in the next couple days.

Ben

Thanks for letting me know BeatArmy! I haven't gotten that yet but I'll look over it when I do! I guess we'll get specific stuff later? I got a lot of specific info from other schools I got into so that's probably why I was expecting more.

The weather here at Penn State has FINALLY warmed up! It reminds me of good old florida :)

Where are the rest of the people on SDN that are going to UF?? There has to be more then four of us!

Does anyone else know what speciality they want to do? I'm not sure yet, I've always know I wanted to be a doctor but I change my mind about specialities constantly...but I've been leaning heavily towards pediatrics for a while now...what about the rest of you guys?

Members don't see this ad :)
:D Oh yay!!! I haven't been over to the forums in forever and finally I see some fellow UFers.

I got the news waay back on Oct 15 that this would be my med school. My boyfriend is a current 1st year (so he'll be a 2nd year when we start) and he told me to study a lot during the summer for anatomy. He studies all the time and he says so do all of his classmates. To be honest the amount that he studies is frightening. :scared: :scared: :scared:

But I can't wait for all the cool stuff that goes with it. It'll be nice to have some inside info from my bf so I know what to do and what to expect. (Of course I'll share ;) )

I couldn't make the second look weekend because I was working but I have visited the med school tons. We are getting a new anatomy lab b/c the old anatomy lab wasn't large enough for our increased class size this year. They wanted to keep the number of students per body the same so they had to increase the number of tables, etc.

Maybe we can tell each other a bit about ourselves:

I'm 23... a Virgo (LOL)
I went to UMiami and I majored in Biomedical Engineering with a math minor.
I applied after I graduated in May of last year and this year I've been teaching MCAT (lame :rolleyes: )
I am into Synthpop / Electro / Industrial music (I don't want to say the g-th word )
I like science fiction
Right now I am interested in urogynecology but who knows...
and I look like... well my Avatar.

I'm going to be doing research in Gainesville this summer.

Hey AlterEgo, glad you found the thread! That is so cool that your boyfriend is going to be a year ahead of you through this process, I'm sure you will get lots of info! and do share! :)

I've been thinking about starting to study anatomy over the summer, but that seriously scares me...I want to enjoy one summer in my life where I'm not taking classes or fulltime volunteering someplace! :rolleyes:

Yay on the new anatomy lab!!

I second the motion to tell more about ourselves:
-I'm 21 (22 in july...so I'm a Cancer)
-I'm graduating from Penn State in May; major: Pre-med; minor: Health Policy Administration
-I'm a very outgoing and personable person, I have no problem initiating conversation and can pretty much get along with anyone (my friends also say I'm loud...hehe)
-I'm from Sebastian, its between Melbourne and Fort Pierce
-I love scifi too!! (AlterEgo, we have to talk about that!)
-My favorite types of movies are action/adventure, scifi, and romantic comedies
-I'm not a partier/drinker, my idea of fun is to hang out with my close friends and watch a movie and relax (I hope there are other people like that at UF!)
-and last but not least, I love to read

AlterEgo, I think I'll PM you about apartments!

By the way, I interviewed January 7...anyone else interview that day? I'd love to see some of the people I met that day in our class!

nice, our little thread is growing.

My specifics:

-I'll be 31 next month. I'm sure that doesn't make me the oldest person in our class, but older than most.
-Graduated from the US Naval Academy back in 1996. I was a Computer Science major.
-I have been in the Navy for the last 9 years. I am getting out this summer, just in time to start school in August.
-I am getting married this summer, also just prior to school. So my life will be in major upheaval when we all meet at orientation. I guess that applies to everyone starting med school.
-I grew up in Cocoa Beach and went to high school in the Ft Lauderdale area. I now live in Pensacola (for the next 3 months or so).
-I like to play golf, travel, and snowboard when I get the chance.

As for the specialty question, I don't plan on making up my mind anytime soon, but I am leaning toward something hands-on like surgery or emergency medicine.

Ben

Hi!! and Congrats!! Current first year here. DO NOT STUDY OVER THE SUMMER. Seriously...enjoy yourself!! I really don't know how you could even go about starting to study over the summer...they teach you everything you need to know once anatomy starts and and trust me...you will have plenty of time to study anatomy in the fall!! I'm trying to come up with who the first year boyfriend in the thread is who studies so much....but I would say only about half of the class studies a lot...and the rest is pretty chill. I know tons of people who only study the week before the test right now and are doing fine...and we have tests every 3 weeks...so its totally not as bad as you would think!! Anyway, feel free to PM me with any questions...and if you're interested...the football season ticket lottery starts monday, the 11th...go to www.gatorzone.com/tickets if you want more info...congrats again!!!

Lhickz22 said:
Hi!! and Congrats!! Current first year here. DO NOT STUDY OVER THE SUMMER. Seriously...enjoy yourself!! I really don't know how you could even go about starting to study over the summer...they teach you everything you need to know once anatomy starts and and trust me...you will have plenty of time to study anatomy in the fall!! I'm trying to come up with who the first year boyfriend in the thread is who studies so much....but I would say only about half of the class studies a lot...and the rest is pretty chill. I know tons of people who only study the week before the test right now and are doing fine...and we have tests every 3 weeks...so its totally not as bad as you would think!! Anyway, feel free to PM me with any questions...and if you're interested...the football season ticket lottery starts monday, the 11th...go to www.gatorzone.com/tickets if you want more info...congrats again!!!

Since you mentioned the lottery...
I noticed that it is based on number of semester hours you have at UF. So are those of us who are coming from different schools pretty much SOL?

Yeah, it is...but they still have a certain amount that they set aside for the group of incoming students (both freshman and graduate). You still have a pretty good chance of getting them though....so definately sign up if you're at all interested!!

:D Thanks for reminding us about the football lottery, I'm definately signing up for that...Penn State has completely converted me to college football! And the tickets are less than half the cost here! I was pleasently surprised, although here every student can get tickets b/c the stadium is huge!

Thanks lhickz22 for saying we don't need to worry about studying...its a relief! I want to know what books we need b/c I want to buy them online as cheap as possible but I certainly don't want to start studying until we get there!

Ben, congrats on getting married! Good luck with all the changes, I'm sure it will be wonderful :)

k, now i have to go live in the library for the rest of the day until my friday night biochem exam! friday night?!...its just wrong....

Saba (my real name! also, I'm a girl, if you hadn't already figured that out! :D )

Hey everyone,

I'm a little late in the conversation, but I'll try to catch up. I thought I heard that they weren't doing a football lottery this year because they were switching back to the phone method. This means that you call over and over again for a few days in a row until you finally get through and order tickets (lots of fun). Does anyone else know this for sure? Also, as far as parking goes, as long as you're there early enough, you can get a spot in the commuter lot without a problem. I'd say that having access to a car in gainesville (whether yours or a friend's) makes life a whole lot nicer.

Good to see that there are some UF people around here. See you in August!

Hey congrats on getting into UF. I have heard really good things about their medical school.

I am graduating medical school next month and will be at UF next year doing a year of research. I was interested in sharing an apartment with a couple people, if interested - I know of some really nice places nearby the medical school and hospital

A little about me:

I'm 23 (I am also a Cancer)
-graduate from a six year BA/MD program in Missouri
-originally from St. Louis
-love any kind of movie out there
-love working out
-watch a lot of Indian movies
-big sports fan
-I am one of the quieter people at the parties, do not drink (do not mind a roommate who drinks socially), but get along well with many people

Email me at [email protected] if anyone is interested.

Too bad there aren't too many of us gathered to chat yet. I wish they would set up an email list but then again I guess most people haven't decided where they are going yet.

I managed to get through 4 years at UM without attending a football game (and it is totally free to all students) so I don't think I will be going to any Gator games. Blech, football.

I'm pretty quiet until you get to know me. Then I am a bit cheeky and vulgar. LOL Not a drinker (but not really by choice) but I do like to have fun. That means clubs every so often but mostly I like to hang out and talk and watch movies like a normal person. Harold and Kumar Go to WhiteCastle would be one of my favs ;)

I'm a girl... I hope this was glaringly obvious otherwise I gotta get a new avatar.

I like going by the bulletin board in the admissions office and seeing who else will be joining us next year. So far no one I know but several people from my high school are in the 1st year class right now. The BF wants to go into a hypercompetitive specialty so that may explain the constant studying.

I have two rats as pets - Snoochie and Muffin J.

This was like the most horrible decision as far as pets go because I totally adore them and every research project is all about wounding and dismembering my pets! (I swear one of them has that obese gene leptin mutation - she is such a porker.)

Who did you all interview with ? I had Gold and Shultz (a ph.d in the ob/gyn dept).

WalterSobchakk said:
Hey everyone,

I'm a little late in the conversation, but I'll try to catch up. I thought I heard that they weren't doing a football lottery this year because they were switching back to the phone method. This means that you call over and over again for a few days in a row until you finally get through and order tickets (lots of fun). Does anyone else know this for sure? Also, as far as parking goes, as long as you're there early enough, you can get a spot in the commuter lot without a problem. I'd say that having access to a car in gainesville (whether yours or a friend's) makes life a whole lot nicer.

Good to see that there are some UF people around here. See you in August!

The gatorzone website says they are definitely doing the lottery. And signup for it starts tomorrow.

Hey guys! i'll also be joining you guys in august...i really liked UF when I interviewed there, but i dont know much about Gainesville. Where are the best places to live?? What's the rent like? Any help would be appreciated!

Hey all...just wanted to add my two cents by saying I thought the gubernaculum that they sent to us last week...I had to have my dad mail it to me because it went to my permanent address...anyway I liked the details they gave, it makes me much less apprehensive, it was the not knowing that was killing me! Most of my family went to med school but I had no real clue as to UF.

I think I'm definately doing the Equal Access Clinic...is anyone else? I also liked the spring break trips, but I liked the AMSA the most...my minor was health policy administration and I love politics so I think it would be right up my alley...

AlterEgo, how do you deal with rats as your pets? I mean they are cute but you're right about rats always being lab experiments...I have been a physiology lab TA for two years and I have to do tons of labs with rats alive and then autopsy them...I don't know if I could handle them as pets...or frogs for that matter...You are a stronger person than me!!

Oh and my interviewers were: Dr. Paul Gulig and Dr. Sidney Cassin! Dr. Gulig was really nice and we totally hit it off; Dr. Cassin was really nice too but I wasn't sure what he thought of me until I got the congrats email from Dr. Gulig a week later! :D

Also, am I the only one that fluctuates between being ecstatic beacause "I'm gonna be a doctor!!" and being scared to death of the studying/eventual responsibilities!?!

Last years Gubernaculum was a joke. The articles were all half missing - it was like someone who formatted it or the printer really messed up. It was totally incoherent.

The Gubernaculum this year looks very well done. It makes me feel sick to my stomach when I read it though.

I no longer am in the excited phase.... dread and anxiety are all I can think about when I think about starting school. I hear every complaint and sucky detail about med school from someone who is essential doing the exact same things I will be doing in a year. It makes me very nervous. I get the general idea that medical school is somewhat miserable. I also visited the anatomy lab and I can tell you that it affected my appetite tremendously adversely. I always like cutting when dissecting but the smell... plus the cadaver muscle looks unsettlingly like chicken.

I've never done animal research! I don't want to do rat research. I need to find a project that doesn't involve animal research or doesn't use rats. Mice maybe... they would be ok, they aren't as smart and cute as rats.

I'm glad our Gubernaculum was well done, I might have been worried about my decision of UF if it had been like what you described last year's was! and I agree reading it is so scary, esp the way they describe block one...anatomy and histology and the eight hour exams?! hell on earth...I don't mind either subject but everything all together is going to be stressful I imagine! But I'm gonna try not to stress out too much...we'll see about that though!

As far as research, did you read that research experience that one girl had during the summer when she did clinical research and took histories, etc...that's the type of research I would like to do! no more lab research for me...

Continuing our talking about our personalities...I'm extremely outgoing like I said and can talk about movies, tv, and books endlessly...I don't think I can give them up entirely during med school, I guess I'll just have to scale back...

I'll throw out a question...what are your favorite tv shows and movies??

My bf said that block exams have their pluses - not all of the classes are graded on the A,B+,B,C+,C.... scale a few classes like radiology are Pass/Fail so you can concentrate on studying for anatomy and histology which are letter graded. Also it gives you a nice party weekend afterwards. The first block exam will be really stressful he says b/c you don't know what to expect but after that things get better.

There are also makeup exams for people who fail the tests. Gee saying this stuff is making me feel a little more relaxed.

Clinical research sounds great but the problem is you can't do it until after 1st year because before then no one would trust you to take a proper history I would think. Are you thinking of doing the research track? I am considering it. I'll see how my research this summer goes and take it from there. The last time I did research was 5 years ago and it was agricultural research so I don't have much experience in the area.

I very, very rarely watch TV. Lately I have been watching Grey's Anatomy (am I the only person that never got into Scrubs?). I used to love the X-Files and Sex in the City, but like I said I don't watch much TV.

My taste in movies is really diverse. I like independent films, foreign films, stoner comedies, or even a good action or horror flick. Some of my favorite movies are: "Harold and Kumar Go to WhiteCastle", "Saved!", "Fire", "Chasing Amy", "Garden State", and "Super Troopers". What about you?

Ok so everyone else lurking in the thread that is going to UF here is a poll for you:

1) Describe your personality.
2) How old are you going to be when school starts and what is your sign (or b-day if you dont mind sharing)?
3) Where are you from?
4) Where did you go to undergrad, what was your major?
5) What is your biggest fear going into med school?
6) What are you most excited about?
7) Describe your clinical or research interests. What fields are you currently interested in?
8) What are you favorite TV shows?
9) What are you favorite movies?
10) What do you do for fun?
11) Do you know anyone else at UF med?
12) Describe your most valuable experience in which you feel you touched a person's life. (JUST KIDDING LOL)

Damn why is this thread so dead. I keep trying to resucitate it to no avail. :(

Anyway did anyone else get that email with the password thingy that lets you access the housing message board?

I don't need housing but just curious if those of you who were asking about it had gotten it too.

BTW that password works to access a lot of stuff around the medinfo.ufl.edu website including the directories in case you want to see who are in the classes above us.

Oh god AlterEgo, I don't know...I try to post as often as I can without actually constantly replying to my own posts!

Where are the rest of you guys going to UF in August?!?!

Anywaz, I got that email but I didn't know you could use that password on the other sites that require a password! Thanks!! I checked it out but I really want to get my own place so I haven't found anything I want from the list.

I love Sex and the City too! Also: Buffy, Alias (not after the third season though), Dark Angel, West Wing (seasons 1-4), Desperate Housewives, Friends, and Star Trek:TNG...just to name a few...and I have to admit my guilty pleasure is watching MTV... :rolleyes:

Movies: I really like Super Troopers and Saved too! A short list of some of my favorite movies would include: Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Independence Day, The Rock, Boondock Saints, Mission Impossible, Matrix, Coyote Ugly, Italian Job, Save the Last Dance, and Hitch...just to name a few...

Yah I like movies and tv just a bit too much...plus I'm an AVID reader...favorite authors include: Agatha Christie, John Grisham, Isaac Asimov, Jane Austen, Laurie King...

This was a long post I know...but maybe it will cause some conversation...we can only hope AlterEgo!!

Hey Guys,
I'll also be joining you in the fall. I'm very very excited! I'm graduating from Cornell this May. I'm a Comparative Literature major. I'm from Spring Hil, Florida (little town north of Tampa). I'm getting married in July so it'll be interesting to go through med school being non-traditional in the sense that I'm married but not in the sense that I'm not older. My fiancé is a Computer Science major and will be working for Lockheed Martin in Orlando. We're going to live in Ocala so I'm nervous about how difficult the commute will be.
As for my interests: I enjoy normal things like reading, movies, hanging out. I'm not much of a drinker (like many of you have said in this post). I've recently become interested in photography and am trying to teach myself. I'm very excited to meet all of you in person in the fall! It should be an interesting journey. I think that this post is so great and hope that it keeps going.
-Dhipthi

Hi Dhipthi, nice to meet you :)

I'm sure you'll overcome the commute just fine. There are lots of nice places to relax and nap on campus since you'll probably be stuck in Gainesville all day.

I always thought that Ocala was closer to G-ville than to Orlando (am I right or totally geographically incompetant?) so the poor hubby will have the bad commute.

When do you all plan on moving to Ocala? After the July wedding? (Congrats by the way.)

Seeing all of these nice married couples better give my boyfriend some ideas. LOL

You're right, Ocala is closer to Gainesville than it is to Orlando. I think that it's about 40 minutes to Gainesville and an hour and ten minutes to Orlando. I agreed to let him have the nicer car to make up for it. :)

We're moving to Ocala right after graduation (May 29) and getting settled and doing last minute wedding things. It'll be nice to know explore Ocala and know where things are before starting school.

BTW, I also NEVER got into Scrubs so you're not the only person! Hehe.

guys......everyone who is stressing about the prospect of UF med needs to chill out. im a first year at UF and can't say enough about how much I enjoy it. yes, it's med school and requires quite a bit of work, but please don't start studying this summer. relax, travel, do whatever you want, but study. not to come off as a party animal, but i probably avg. 3 nights out a week and do just fine....just so you realize how it's possible to balance school and a social life. 1st semester is more difficult than 2nd, but it's still not the horror that some people make it out to be. if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or something. look forward to meeting some of you later.

PS: i wanted to comment on the "competitiveness" that seems to come out about UF. i think most students want to do well obviously, but i cant think of one person in my class who wouldn't help me if i asked them for it.....some of my classmates might study a lot, but they're still good to have around....the environment UF fosters is great for learning

Medicated has returned from a year without posting to bestow this advice. ;)

Do whatever you all want with your summers but I want to start looking over the material. I was looking at what had to be memorized for the first test and started having an anxiety attack right then. Though, I think what motivates me even more than the amount of material is that I have been out of school for a year and I really kind of miss it. That is so sad...

First off: Hi Dhipthi! Nice to see another person on the thread! Congrats on the wedding and good luck with that and moving/transitions! That was nice of you to let your husband have the nicer car! :p

Continuing on the Scrubs vein, I never got into the show either, I've seen a few episodes but it tries too hard to be funny for me...I like Grey's Anatomy more, although the main character Dr. Grey is really annoying...the other characters and the overall theme are pretty good...I don't really like ER all that much either, I watch it on occasion but...

Thanks for saying we shouldn't be stressing Medicated, but I think thats to be expected...and probably a little stress is healthy so we don't get all complacent and overconfident...but I'm sure it wont be anything we can't handle, at least I keep telling myself that! haha

AlterEgo, you want to study!?! please don't say that! I can't wait for my first stressfree summer in I can't remember how long...I'm gonna try real hard not too look at anything medical...although in my family that is literally impossible! oh well!

ocean42 said:
Continuing on the Scrubs vein, I never got into the show either, I've seen a few episodes but it tries too hard to be funny for me...I like Grey's Anatomy more, although the main character Dr. Grey is really annoying...the other characters and the overall theme are pretty good...I don't really like ER all that much either, I watch it on occasion but...

AlterEgo, you want to study!?! please don't say that! I can't wait for my first stressfree summer in I can't remember how long...I'm gonna try real hard not too look at anything medical...although in my family that is literally impossible! oh well!

I've been out of school for a year - I'm bored. I did absolutely nothing from graduation last May until October - then I got a job (part time) with the princeton review teaching. Now I'm done teaching I've moved to Gainesville (to be with the bf) and I need something to do! Sitting around is only fun for a certain period of time. I have been able to do whatever I want for a YEAR. So I'm not really a dork.

Do you have a lot of other MDs in the family ocean? No one in my family has ever been in the medical profession, but I do come from a long line of hypochondriacs. :laugh:

I find a lot of things weird and unrealistic when watching Gray's anatomy but overall it is a fun show. The lead character isn't my favorite. I happen to like looking at the attending she is sleeping with :love: . I liked ER better though.

AlterEgo said:
I've been out of school for a year - I'm bored. I did absolutely nothing from graduation last May until October - then I got a job (part time) with the princeton review teaching. Now I'm done teaching I've moved to Gainesville (to be with the bf) and I need something to do! Sitting around is only fun for a certain period of time. I have been able to do whatever I want for a YEAR. So I'm not really a dork.

Do you have a lot of other MDs in the family ocean? No one in my family has ever been in the medical profession, but I do come from a long line of hypochondriacs. :laugh:

I find a lot of things weird and unrealistic when watching Gray's anatomy but overall it is a fun show. The lead character isn't my favorite. I happen to like looking at the attending she is sleeping with :love: . I liked ER better though.

Oh that makes more sense now, I would go insane without anything to do too!! Even when I'm home on vacation, I'm still incessantly busy doing stuff for my parents/family and I always help out in my dad's office. To answer your question about physicians in my family, the right question would be literally who isnt an MD? my parents, my brothers, my sister in laws, etc...but its a fun thing cuz they actually like what they do and I know what to expect from life as a physician more or less...so thats probably why I try to escape from it as much as possible in tv and movies...I ussually don't watch or read med related stuff...like I really want to be a doctor, but I don't need to be surrounded by it 24/7...I think its really important to have a real life too :)

Also, once you become a doctor...you're automatically a hypochondriac! Believe me I know, my mom FREAKS out about the littlest things...and only in my family would a dizzy spell require a MRI...before anything else...haha...I could go on and on with the hilarities that ensue in my family from the smallest symptoms :D

Oh, about Grey's Anatomy...yah isnt Grey annoying!? I dont know why but her voice and face bug me...but of course the attending, patrick dempsey :D I like Sandra Oh and most of the other ones too. And yah its completely unrealistic...surgery residencies are much more stressful than that! u dont have time to just sit there and talk! and they would certainly not see the sun as much as they do...u get there at 4 and dont leave till like 9 or 10...generally speaking, i know its different in different places, but still!

Speaking of things to do...you could volunteer at fun places...maybe I'm a complete and utter dork but I love libraries and my library at home has a fun summer program for kids of different age groups that I always used to help out with in high school...its called FLYP, Florida Library Youth Program...but if u don't like kids or something, that wouldn't work! just a suggestion :) or you could be a camp councelor at a day camp...hmm i think most of my suggestions have to do with kids, cuz i love them! haha..k, gotta go actually study some!

I'm talking to the director of the research program about doing research this summer and possibly getting a stipend too :)

I hate random stupid volunteering... and children... and especially combinations of the two. I am glad I don't have to do any of that crap anymore.

Now on to the next round of flaming hoops.

I'm feeling cynical today... Ocean you are so freaking perky and outgoing. I'm more like a little black rain cloud. I envy those with a natural overabundance of happy neurotransmitters. I spent today and yesterday counseling students about their MCAT and LSAT practice test scores - that's pretty depressing.

That's awesome that you can do something you like this summer and get paid for it...I guess it's a personality thing, I can't stand lab research anymore, I would much rather be around people, clinical research wouldn't be bad. What are u doing research in?

Yah, about my being outgoing...I'm naturally a happy/energetic person but when I was writing that last post I was having a particularly good day, lots of great things had happened to me so that's why it was inundated with the smily faces...now I look back on it and cringe! haha...but I can just as easily direct my hyperness to ranting about someone/something I hate, which happened constantly during this whole ridiculous jumping through hoops that was applying to/stressing about med school...I'm sick of it...I just want to freakin revel in not stressing for a bit! hence the good mood.

Questions for everyone in general: What are you doing this summer? When do you plan on moving to Gainesville if you don't already live there?

I have no contribution to this thread other than to say my sister will also be joining you guys this fall at UF COM.

Congratulations on your acceptances :)

P.S. For whoever said they want to study over summer: do NOT do that. Just enjoy the time. I guarantee there's no way to prepare for the flood of details you'll be covering in anatomy in just two months over summer. You don't need prior exposure to the subject either - people still do fine.

Hey future classmates!!! Just wanted to say a quick hello....I'm so excited about this fall! I graduated from UF last May (2004) and have been doing research at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, MD (its like, 10 minutes from downtown D.C.) for the past year. I've been in a program designed for students in transition between college and med school....we are all engaged in biomedical research aimed at understanding/eliminating health disparities. Its been quite a year....some fabulous experience both research and clinically based. Living in the DC area has been so much fun but I can't wait to move back to Gainesville....get back to my Florida roots (particularly the SUN!)....and start this year off right. Gainesville is a great place to live with lots of fun people and obviously UFCOM is awesome or we wouldn't all be going there.

Really looking forward to meeting all of you!

Oh, and has anyone had any luck with the football lottery??? I REALLY want tickets! :D

Anyone from previous years classes that know about how many people are taken from the waitlist, i.e. how many people in your class were waitlisted>?

tinanina said:
Hey future classmates!!! Just wanted to say a quick hello....I'm so excited about this fall! I graduated from UF last May (2004) and have been doing research at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, MD (its like, 10 minutes from downtown D.C.) for the past year. I've been in a program designed for students in transition between college and med school....we are all engaged in biomedical research aimed at understanding/eliminating health disparities. Its been quite a year....some fabulous experience both research and clinically based. Living in the DC area has been so much fun but I can't wait to move back to Gainesville....get back to my Florida roots (particularly the SUN!)....and start this year off right. Gainesville is a great place to live with lots of fun people and obviously UFCOM is awesome or we wouldn't all be going there.

Really looking forward to meeting all of you!

Oh, and has anyone had any luck with the football lottery??? I REALLY want tickets! :D

Welcome to the thread.

As for the lottery, you should be in better shape than me since you went to UF. You should be in the highest category. I assume you have registered.

For any other classmates reading, April 29th is the last day to register for the footbal ticket lottery. All the info you need can be found on the Gatorzone website.

Ben

Chlost said:
Anyone from previous years classes that know about how many people are taken from the waitlist, i.e. how many people in your class were waitlisted>?

I know they were taking people from the waitlist last year into June... I don't know if that is any help. May 15th will get things moving for those of you waiting to get in. Good luck :)

Bump. Anybody else out there?

Last edited:
Hey All

I was just wondering, for those of you who have been accepted into UF MED, what was your:

1) Overall GPA
2) BCPM GPA
3) MCAT SCORE

Thanks