1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

UF COM c/o 2010 Thread

Discussion in 'Allopathic Class Threads' started by QofQuimica, Nov 12, 2005.

1. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Any future Gators out there?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. unfrozencaveman

unfrozencaveman not a dude
    7+ Year Member

I'll hang out here... It's just like Gainesville- where all the people?

4. QofQuimica

Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Thanks, caveman, and you're right. It's MIIIIIIIIGHTY lonely in here right now. :( BTW, nice job w/ the Miami thread. Maybe I could come visit you in there on weekends or something. :laugh:

5. unfrozencaveman

7+ Year Member

We should maybe post a UM vs UF forum where everyone can duke it out...

6. QofQuimica

What would people like you do? You'd have to duke it out with yourself. :laugh: I kinda like the idea though, but we should include USF and FSU too. Florida allopathic school RUUUUUUMBLE!!!

7. unfrozencaveman

7+ Year Member

Indeed. The Rumble shouldn't discriminate.

8. medgator

medgator Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Nice thread :cool: I'll try and answer any questions you guys have about UF COM... I just graduated from there this past May.

9. QofQuimica

medgator, do you know when the second look weekend will be? (Does UF have an official second look weekend?)

10. medgator

medgator Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry Q... I didn't get in through the regular admissions process so I really can't say.

11. rtmcad2319

rtmcad2319 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I think I'll be here!!! Go gators!!

12. QofQuimica

We interviewed together at Miami and USF. I'm pretty sure I know who you were. :p

13. medgator

medgator Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Excellent choice.... You'll love UF! :D

14. medgator

medgator Senior Member

Attending Physician
    UF has an amazing match list. Last year, we placed 5 people into neurosurgery, 4 people in Radiation Oncology, 2 Derm, 4 radiology, 3 ortho, 1 integrated Plastics, a lot into Anesthesia, and 2 into ENT. People in peds and medicine ended up at some awesome programs as well including CHOP (peds) and Hopkins/Duke (IM). Keep in mind that the total 2005 class size was 105. As far as residency placement goes, UF is top notch.

If you're a FL resident, I would highly consider given the relative cost compared with a private/higher-ranked school. Shands Medical center is in top third of all hospital nationally according to US News. For the price and quality of the education, you can't beat it.

15. JabsterL

JabsterL Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How did you all decide to go with UF vs. USF and Miami? Does the college town thing not bother you or even appeal to you, does the prestige factor of UF win out, is the curriculum and opportunities better at UF, etc? Any advice in deciding would be greatly appreciated - right now I'm really torn between USF and UF...

16. QofQuimica

I sent you a PM to answer yours, but I think you are right that UF is not as socially non-trad friendly as the other FL schools are. That being said, it is definitely an excellent school, and I didn't feel unwelcome there as an older student. It's just that USF and Miami have SO many older students that I was much more aware of how young the class is at UF in comparison. Here are the pros and cons IMO:

Pros:
    -state tuition; Miami is significantly more expensive than UF or USF unless you get a scholarship there
    -best research school in FL IMO, although Miami just got a huge donation and is also a pretty good research school, and there are also research opportunities at USF if you want them
    -Stan, the robotic dummy (although USF has a nice new simulator center now)
    -low COL (Miami comes out worst of the three schools)
    -the Gainesville area is really pretty, with a lot of outdoor activities available year-round, but hey, pretty much anywhere in FL is gorgeous, right???

Cons:
    -Gainesville: I wasn't into the whole college town thing at age 18, and I'm not at age 30 either. :p Of the three cities, I like Tampa the best. Miami is too big and crowded, Gainesville is too small, but Tampa is juuuuuuust right.
    -Having to probably do some rotations in Jax
    -The youth of the class compared to the other FL schools

17. medgator

medgator Senior Member

Attending Physician
    It's kinda funny you say that Q, because I always thought the class at UM had the lowest median age (thanks to the now de-funct 6-year HPME, and 7-year HPME/MSP students) -- there were so many people there I knew who were starting med school at the ripe old age of 19 and 20.

18. deb1212

deb1212 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student

The average age of the UF 1st year class is always young. One of my interviewers actually asked me if that would be a problem for me, and mentioned that a couple of students from last years class transferred out of UF because of that. I'm a non-trad (26yo), and am slightly concerned, but it won't stop me from going there. It's a great school overall.

19. QofQuimica

I guess I should have been clearer about what I meant. It's true that Miami has several college-age students coming from those accelerated programs. However, their age spread is larger than UF's; they also have several older students (and I'm defining "older" as "being above age 30" here, since that's what I am ;) ). So most UF students are close to the mean age, while a sizeable number of Miami's students are outliers on either end. I don't care about going to school with some 20-year-olds, but at the same time, I don't want to be the one and only student in my 30s. That being said, I agree with deb that the age of the UF students wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me necessarily either. It IS something that I see as a disadvantage of the school, but each of the other FL schools has its disadvantages also, as I tried to point out. Hope this clarifies.

20. medgator

medgator Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I guess I don't know what qualifies as an appropriate number of non-trad students in a class. There were certainly at least 10-12 (out of 115) people I could think of in my class (people I really knew) who started at the age of 27 or greater, representing about 10% of the class (at least from my perspective). The age ranged up to 44. In the class below mine, one person started at the age of around 48 or so.

21. medgator

medgator Senior Member

Attending Physician
  22. QofQuimica

There isn't any appropriate number. :laugh: But non-trads are definitely a larger minority at certain schools versus others, and some schools even go as far as to explicitly invite them to apply. I think that a lot of why UF is not as geared toward older people is because it's in a college town. But the school is definitely not hostile toward older students, so I hope that no one gets that impression from what I've said. There just happens to be fewer non-trads there in comparison to USF or Miami. The people of all ages that I know who are students there seem to be happy, and that's really what matters.

23. rtmcad2319

rtmcad2319 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
  24. JabsterL

JabsterL Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey guys, i've interviewed at a bunches of places and have been accepted to one, but i really wanna come join the med school boot camp at UF... do you guys think a letter of intent to the ad com would be helpful to gain admissions?...i'm kinda holdin out for baylor but i'm not a TX resident so i'm not sure...please let me know what you'll think? thanks :)

25. ocean42

ocean42 Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey all,
    Congrats on getting into UF for all those C/O 2010 people out there! I'll be seeing you all in August, I'm a MS1 at UF right now. I haven't been on student doctor in forever...it brings back college senior year memories :) Anyway, if you have any specific questions, I can help answer them, but my posts might not be super fast...med school has a way of making you a bit busy!

26. JabsterL

JabsterL Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

thanks so much! anyone know of good condos?

27. QofQuimica

OMG, is there anything else even IN Gainesville besides housing and the university??? :p My student host was staying in a small house with another student near the campus. It was pretty nice, and apparently pretty cheap. I don't remember what the neighborhood was called though.

28. rtmcad2319

rtmcad2319 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    UF NATIONAL CHAMPS!!!!!!

Also, on a serious note, I will be purchasing a home in Gainesville and will need two-three roommates!!!! Anyone interested PLEASE PM me.

Thanx!

29. medgator

medgator Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Heck yeah... GO GATORS!!!!!!!!! :D

30. medgator

medgator Senior Member

Attending Physician
    If you are looking for places right near Shands, Sommerset might be a place you want to check out. I know the availability is tight because of the location (walk to the hospital in ~5-8 mins).

31. JabsterL

JabsterL Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    anyone who was told they'd hear back btwn mid-april and the end of april hear back yet? i'm sure a letter's coming soon, but obviously i'm too impatient... :clap:

32. Kleintje

Kleintje Why not?
    5+ Year Member

If anyone is looking for a place to live, my parents own a house on 2nd ave across from the track and tennis courts (close to the law school) and have two, maybe 3 rooms available. It is a ten min walk to the stadium. If you want details PM me or email me at [email protected]. :)

33. db1

db1 Member
    10+ Year Member

I'll be adding to the median age at UF this fall :) I am 33. I really didn't think of age as being a factor. UF is a great school, tuition is relatively cheap, cost of living is low, and I already live and own a house in g'ville, so it was a pretty easy decision for me.

Anyway, I am counting down the days. It will be nice to be out of the lab for a change.

34. JabsterL

JabsterL Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey y'all, I want to get a 1 (probably) or 2 (maybe) bedroom condo near the school...any suggestions?

35. isotope1979

isotope1979 NSU 2010
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    1.8 miles from UF campus, 1 mile from downtown and from Shands AGH in a quiet neighborhood, great for studying.
    A beautiful bike ride to campus.
    3 bedrooms, 1 bath with a large TV room (or 4th bedroom), kitchen, covered car port, large backyard, front room and porch. Includes full size washer, dryer and fridge.
    Contact me for more information. This offer will not last long!
    [email protected]
    352-870-0968

36. JabsterL

JabsterL Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey y'all, i gotta choose between miami-boca campus or UF, and i was hoping you could provide me some suggestions/opinions/advice about what you'd do and why? right now, i'm thinkin UF even though the location of miami and boca and medical experience would be much better IMHO but the price thing is kinda bothering me and, even though it's not definitive, UF's matchlist and step 1 score history (and thus prestige and academic preparation) seem much better...plus, UF has the McKnight Brain Institute and right now i'm planning on pursuing neurorads and will conduct research...so does UF seem like the obvious/better choice to you?

thanks!

37. 1SwtWrld

1SwtWrld Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

yes

38. JabsterL

JabsterL Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    how bout UF vs. Baylor??? which would you'll choose and why???

39. db1

db1 Member
    10+ Year Member

I would choose UF over Miami, especially since you have an interest in neuro research. McKnight is a great resourse, I don't know what kind of research opportunities you have at the Boca campus. Plus at UF you have the research track where you can graduate with honors in research, you also get a pretty good stipend for diong research during the summer between 1st and 2nd year. I have been a postdoc at UF for almost 3 years and have worked with several medical students over the last couple of summers. They were all very happy here. Also, on SDN, you get the idea that UF students are arrogant and ultra competetive. From the students I have worked with, I do not get that impression at all.

Miami is a good school and you will probably see some things at Jackson that you might not see at Shands, but will seeing a few obscure tropical diseases during med school matter in the long run? Shands is an excellent tertiary care facility and level one trauma center, plus you can do rotation in Jax, so I think the clinical exposure is not an issue. Miami is much more expensive and the cost of living is very high. It does have great beaches, nightlife, restaurants, cultural events, etc. that Gainesville doesn't have. It depends on what is important to you.

I went to grad school at Baylor, and it is a great school. Out of state tuition is the same as UF in state tuition. If you can get Texas residency it is dirt cheap. I really liked Houston as well, cost of living is low, great restaurants, tons to do. The medical center is amazing and will provide great research and clinical opportunities. It is a top 10 medical school for research. I would probably have gone there over UF, if there weren't other factors keeping me in Florida.

40. JabsterL

JabsterL Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks man, that's really helfpul and great advice!...i'm waiting to see if i get off the waitlist at baylor between late may and june, but for now i'm plannin on UF cuz of all the reasons u mentioned above, plus preparin students to ace step 1 and get a fantastic residency!

41. medgator

medgator Senior Member

Attending Physician
    UF is excellent for neurology/neuroscience, especially with the dedicated brain institute. Also, they have an excellent Neurosurgery department--- people match into neurosurg every year from UF. Either way, I think it'll be a good place for you. If you end up being interested in radiology, they also have an excellent rads dept.

42. isotope1979

isotope1979 NSU 2010
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    We have decided to sell our beautiful house! You are the first to hear about it!

$135,000.00

3 bedroom/ 1 bath
    Wood floors
    Large TV room, living room and kitchen/ dining area
    New roof in 2005
    brand new, full size fridge, washer and dryer
    Central air and heat
    Concrete block house
    ~1,143 sqft with large backyard and covered car port and covered back porch
    Great neighbors, very quiet area, family friendly
    1 mile from down town and 1.8 miles from UF campus
    Ride your bike to school through the duckpond area
    E-mail me for more informaion and for pictures: [email protected]

43. James Moriarty

James Moriarty The Napoleon of Crime
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  44. atyourservice

atyourservice Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi everyone--I was just accepted today from the waitlist!! I really couldn't believe it :D I'm interested in visiting Gainesville and UFCOM in the next couple of weeks, does anyone know about unofficial 2nd looks and that sort of thing?

45. atyourservice

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I didn't waste any time after getting accepted fromt the waitlist last week--I went up to Gainesville yesterday for a 2nd look. It was amazing!!!!!

I went on the tour with 2 awesome students. They were the best and told me a bunch about the school I wasn't aware of--like the pro's of a subject based curriculum. Everything I heard made me see that the students are a part of a huge team and that the professors are great, with a strong teaching focus. My overall feeling was that it's an amazing place to spend 4 years of medical school.

Anyone one else psyched?

46. JabsterL

JabsterL Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'm psyched...what were the pros they listed - i'm guessin it's awesome step 1 prep, as reflected by the fantastic step 1 scores for UF students, but what else did u learn about the school (pros and cons) from current students?

47. JabsterL

JabsterL Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    basically, u can call and schedule to make a 2nd visit anytime...i just moved in to my new condo yesterday, and i'll be goin back in a week...pretty excited to get this last schoolin over with...

48. atyourservice

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yep--the Step 1 scores reflect the benefits of a subject based curriculum. It's very traditional from what I hear, and it just works. When I was up in Gainesville on Friday, the 3rd year guy who took me on the tour felt very prepared for Step 1 (he just took it) because each subject like antomy, histo., path., etc. reviews difficult topics again and again--building recall ability. Being really prepared for step 1 sounds like a HUGE positive to me!

49. laneyj34

laneyj34 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey yall, I am a Sr at FSU this fall and would really like to go to UF in a year. I am wondering if the people who have just gotten into UF COM can give me any tips/advice for things that UF likes on your app and during the interview. Just any pointers. I have a 3.55 and a 35 on MCAT.

50. VinylFever

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just wondering if anyone here would be interested in hanging out a couple of nights before orientation... I'm not from Gainesville so I wouldn't know a good spot. Anyone interested? Any suggestions?

51. atyourservice

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey Vinyl,
    I'm new to Gainesville too, so it would be cool to get a chance to see the town before classes start. I'm moving in some time next week, so I'll be free for the following week and a half. I'd also like to go by the gym too :thumbup: Anyone else in?

52. rtmcad2319

rtmcad2319 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student

I'm in!! I will be there on the third and would also like to check out the gym. I have been out in G'ville before and it's a BLAST! Hope to see everyone soon.