UF COM c/o 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
atyourservice said:
Hey Vinyl,
I'm new to Gainesville too, so it would be cool to get a chance to see the town before classes start. I'm moving in some time next week, so I'll be free for the following week and a half. I'd also like to go by the gym too :thumbup: Anyone else in?

I'm in!! I will be there on the third and would also like to check out the gym. I have been out in G'ville before and it's a BLAST! Hope to see everyone soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if someone knows a good place, next friday (11th) would me a good time to hang out. I know nothing about Gainesville so I can't really suggest anything. Any ideas?

Well, I live in G'ville, but I am not much help. I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old, so I don't get to go out alot. I went to undergrad here, but everything has changed since those days. I moved back here 1 month before my first child was born...

That being said, it really depends on what you are looking for. There is a little beer place downtown called Stubbies. They have a bunch of microbrews and imports, most of the beer is bottled, not many on tap, but that is G'ville for you. You can hold a conversation there though. There is the Swamp which is right across from campus. It is a restaurant/bar, you can sit outside, live music on the weekends. Those are probably the better "getting to know eachother" type of places, then of course there are dance clubs, but it depends on what kind of music you like and what night it is. It will probably be pretty dead the weekend of the 11th because most of the undergrads will be gone.

Here are a couple of websites to checkout:

http://www.myhappyhour.com/Local_Drink_Specials/cID1/Gainesville_local_drink_specials.htm

http://www.virtualgainesville.com/index.php

http://gainesville.clubplanet.com/clubsearch/

I'm up for getting a couple of beers.

Also, any other non-trads with families want to get the kids together? Or am I just talking to myself :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
That place Stubbies sounds cool. I'll go ahead and say 9:00pm, this friday, at Stubbies. I'll PM my cell to whoever wants to hang out on friday night, I'll check back in by tomorrow (wednesday) night to see if anyone is coming. By the way, did everyone get the email about Saturday night 'pirate fun'??? Is that a joke?

Aye Matey, they sounded painfully serious, Arr.

Unfortunately, I am not giong to be able to make it on Friday. I had a death in the family and am heading to South Florida.

See you on Tuesday.

Well, I guess I won't be there either then. Sorry for the loss. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

I hadn't kept up with the message boards for a few days as I moved in, so I missed the discussion about going Friday--but I went there Friday night by chance. It's a fun place, small, with lots of beers--we'll have to go sometime soon. 1 more day till orientation! How do you think it will go??

I'm a 4th year at UF, dont let them scare you too much this week. If you have any questions/concerns you can find me on facebook (Dan Friedmann). And yea, stubbies is awesome.

-dan