UF-distance campuses: Student Health Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

volleychica

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be attending UF - St. Pete Campus in the Fall as a 1PD. I am trying to find the best options for student health insurance. I was hoping some of you who are current students at UF - distance campuses could help me out. Did you go with the health insurance recommended by UF (Scarins) or did you find another provider? My concern is that if I go with UF, I will have to travel to the student health center at USF in Tampa for health care. Since I live in St. Pete, I don't really want to drive to Tampa if I'm sick. If any of you could help me out with information on what you did, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
 
I will be attending UF - St. Pete Campus in the Fall as a 1PD. I am trying to find the best options for student health insurance. I was hoping some of you who are current students at UF - distance campuses could help me out. Did you go with the health insurance recommended by UF (Scarins) or did you find another provider? My concern is that if I go with UF, I will have to travel to the student health center at USF in Tampa for health care. Since I live in St. Pete, I don't really want to drive to Tampa if I'm sick. If any of you could help me out with information on what you did, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I'm married, so I'm on my husband's policy. A good chunk of my classmates at St Pete are married, too. As far as I know, the single people chose the UF health plan. It's not that far to USF, and you most likely will not need to see a doctor very often. If you're really sick, just go to a walk-in clinic nearby and pay cash for the visit. The health insurance is mainly to cover catastrophic conditions.
 
You can also choose private insurance, I chose one from Golden Rule which costs about $150 every three months so it's not too bad. You can go and look at other options online if you don't want to drive.
 
I chose to go with a private insurance policy like Trancelucent1 mentioned in an earlier post. I got coverage on almost everything and the cost really wasn't too bad.
Good luck!👍