SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UF-distance campuses: Student Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by volleychica, Apr 28, 2007.

1. volleychica

volleychica 7+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2006
    I will be attending UF - St. Pete Campus in the Fall as a 1PD. I am trying to find the best options for student health insurance. I was hoping some of you who are current students at UF - distance campuses could help me out. Did you go with the health insurance recommended by UF (Scarins) or did you find another provider? My concern is that if I go with UF, I will have to travel to the student health center at USF in Tampa for health care. Since I live in St. Pete, I don't really want to drive to Tampa if I'm sick. If any of you could help me out with information on what you did, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

I'm married, so I'm on my husband's policy. A good chunk of my classmates at St Pete are married, too. As far as I know, the single people chose the UF health plan. It's not that far to USF, and you most likely will not need to see a doctor very often. If you're really sick, just go to a walk-in clinic nearby and pay cash for the visit. The health insurance is mainly to cover catastrophic conditions.

4. Trancelucent1

Trancelucent1 Gator Girl :) 7+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    You can also choose private insurance, I chose one from Golden Rule which costs about $150 every three months so it's not too bad. You can go and look at other options online if you don't want to drive.

5. jimmyc

jimmyc

Mar 1, 2007
    I chose to go with a private insurance policy like Trancelucent1 mentioned in an earlier post. I got coverage on almost everything and the cost really wasn't too bad.
    Good luck!:thumbup: