1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

UF-distance campuses: Student Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by volleychica, Apr 28, 2007.

1. volleychica

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I will be attending UF - St. Pete Campus in the Fall as a 1PD. I am trying to find the best options for student health insurance. I was hoping some of you who are current students at UF - distance campuses could help me out. Did you go with the health insurance recommended by UF (Scarins) or did you find another provider? My concern is that if I go with UF, I will have to travel to the student health center at USF in Tampa for health care. Since I live in St. Pete, I don't really want to drive to Tampa if I'm sick. If any of you could help me out with information on what you did, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm married, so I'm on my husband's policy. A good chunk of my classmates at St Pete are married, too. As far as I know, the single people chose the UF health plan. It's not that far to USF, and you most likely will not need to see a doctor very often. If you're really sick, just go to a walk-in clinic nearby and pay cash for the visit. The health insurance is mainly to cover catastrophic conditions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Trancelucent1

Trancelucent1 Gator Girl :)
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You can also choose private insurance, I chose one from Golden Rule which costs about $150 every three months so it's not too bad. You can go and look at other options online if you don't want to drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jimmyc

Academic Administration
    I chose to go with a private insurance policy like Trancelucent1 mentioned in an earlier post. I got coverage on almost everything and the cost really wasn't too bad.
    Good luck!:thumbup: