Uf dvm/mph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bipolarbear123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know much about this joint degree program? I'm interested in applying for it, but nothing on the website tells me exactly how competitive it is. From what I understand, you have to be accepted into the CVM and the CPH separately. I think I have good standing on admission to the CVM, but I don't really know how I stand on gaining admission to the CPH (there are no average class statistics, or at least I couldn't find them). Also, I was interested in doing one of the CVM's certificate programs. Is this possible (time wise) to do if I'm doing DVM/MPH? Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know much about this joint degree program? I'm interested in applying for it, but nothing on the website tells me exactly how competitive it is. From what I understand, you have to be accepted into the CVM and the CPH separately. I think I have good standing on admission to the CVM, but I don't really know how I stand on gaining admission to the CPH (there are no average class statistics, or at least I couldn't find them). Also, I was interested in doing one of the CVM's certificate programs. Is this possible (time wise) to do if I'm doing DVM/MPH? Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this!

I'm in the DVM/MPH program and doing the shelter med certificate program at UF. I may also do the international certificate program, we'll see. If you get into the CVM you'll get into the MPH no problem. You can easily do a certificate program too. Send me a PM with which one you're interested in and I'll give you more details. Feel free to send me any other questions regarding the MPH or certificate programs too :)

I'm in the DVM/MPH program and doing the shelter med certificate program at UF. I may also do the international certificate program, we'll see. If you get into the CVM you'll get into the MPH no problem. You can easily do a certificate program too. Send me a PM with which one you're interested in and I'll give you more details. Feel free to send me any other questions regarding the MPH or certificate programs too :)

ooo I'm glad you mentioned this... I wanted to get the food animal AND the aquatic certificate and wasn't sure if it was possible to get both.... so you're saying it is?

Members don't see this ad :)
ooo I'm glad you mentioned this... I wanted to get the food animal AND the aquatic certificate and wasn't sure if it was possible to get both.... so you're saying it is?

I can't speak for sure about those 2 because I'm not doing either of them. I think food animal is pretty easy to do. I know you have to go to a certain # of wet labs throughout your time at UF. The aquatic animal certificate program is a bit more work (I think). I know that you have to maintain a 3.0 GPA to get into it which the other certificates don't require. Make sure to go to food animal club meetings and they'll give you the info on the food animal certificate at the beginning of the year. The aquatic animal certificate application was due last month for us so you'll have a semester and a half at UF before you need to worry about that one. I would say that most likely though, yes, you can do both of them.

I can't speak for sure about those 2 because I'm not doing either of them. I think food animal is pretty easy to do. I know you have to go to a certain # of wet labs throughout your time at UF. The aquatic animal certificate program is a bit more work (I think). I know that you have to maintain a 3.0 GPA to get into it which the other certificates don't require. Make sure to go to food animal club meetings and they'll give you the info on the food animal certificate at the beginning of the year. The aquatic animal certificate application was due last month for us so you'll have a semester and a half at UF before you need to worry about that one. I would say that most likely though, yes, you can do both of them.

Ok great. You are always so helpful, thanks :)

thanks! do you know, roughly, how many students apply/how many are accepted?

thanks! do you know, roughly, how many students apply/how many are accepted?

For the MPH program? All who apply are accepted unless there are some crazy circumstances. If you're good enough for the DVM program, you're good enough for the MPH program.

For the MPH program? All who apply are accepted unless there are some crazy circumstances. If you're good enough for the DVM program, you're good enough for the MPH program.

Do you find it tough to manage them both?

I think the applications were due in March weren't they?

Do you find it tough to manage them both?

I think the applications were due in March weren't they?

The MPH program is set up so it essentially never interferes with classes. You take 7 classes online between the summer before you begin vet school and the summer after your 1st year (so 4 one summer and 3 the other). You have 2 classes that are taken during the school year but they are during junior/senior year when you're out of clinics so you have plenty of time to handle those courses. Then you have to do a 5 week internship the summer between 3rd and 4th year. Everyone has this summer free for externships which is about 12 weeks long. So you still have 7 weeks open to do externships that summer. You also have to do a 1 credit seminars course which is offered every other summer right before the fall semester begins.

So basically, I took some courses last summer and haven't looked at anything related to MPH since then. I take 3 more classes this summer + the seminars course and then I don't have to do anything MPH related for another 1.5 years until I'm out of clinics again (spring semester of junior year). Some of the DVM courses count towards your MPH degree which is how you're able to finish it in the same amount of time (classes like parasitology and epidemiology).

The deadline last year was in March, I'm assuming it's the same this year. Bipolarbear is applying this summer for vet school so he/she has plenty of time. Emiloo, if you're interested in applying though the deadline passed you could contact the DVM/MPH adviser and she may be willing to let you apply late (obviously no promises there though!).

The MPH program is set up so it essentially never interferes with classes. You take 7 classes online between the summer before you begin vet school and the summer after your 1st year (so 4 one summer and 3 the other). You have 2 classes that are taken during the school year but they are during junior/senior year when you're out of clinics so you have plenty of time to handle those courses. Then you have to do a 5 week internship the summer between 3rd and 4th year. Everyone has this summer free for externships which is about 12 weeks long. So you still have 7 weeks open to do externships that summer. You also have to do a 1 credit seminars course which is offered every other summer right before the fall semester begins.

So basically, I took some courses last summer and haven't looked at anything related to MPH since then. I take 3 more classes this summer + the seminars course and then I don't have to do anything MPH related for another 1.5 years until I'm out of clinics again (spring semester of junior year). Some of the DVM courses count towards your MPH degree which is how you're able to finish it in the same amount of time (classes like parasitology and epidemiology).

The deadline last year was in March, I'm assuming it's the same this year. Bipolarbear is applying this summer for vet school so he/she has plenty of time. Emiloo, if you're interested in applying though the deadline passed you could contact the DVM/MPH adviser and she may be willing to let you apply late (obviously no promises there though!).

OK great, thanks again! :D