UF Gainesville (4-Year OMFS) – Current Resident/Recent Extern Perspectives?

Started by deleted1236152
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1236152

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in learning more about the 4-year UF Gainesville OMFS program (not the Jacksonville 6-year program). Haven't seen anything on here or reddit so I thought I'd just make a new post.

For any current residents, alumni, or recent externs:
  • How is the resident culture and overall happiness?
  • How much operative autonomy do residents get?
  • What are the orthognathic, implant, and trauma experiences like?
  • Does having only 1 resident per year feel like an advantage or disadvantage?
  • How well does the program prepare graduates for private practice?
  • If you were applying again, would it be a spot deserving an externship and ranking high?
Thanks in advance, I appreciate any insight!
 
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in learning more about the 4-year UF Gainesville OMFS program (not the Jacksonville 6-year program). Haven't seen anything on here or reddit so I thought I'd just make a new post.

For any current residents, alumni, or recent externs:
  • How is the resident culture and overall happiness?
  • How much operative autonomy do residents get?
  • What are the orthognathic, implant, and trauma experiences like?
  • Does having only 1 resident per year feel like an advantage or disadvantage?
  • How well does the program prepare graduates for private practice?
  • If you were applying again, would it be a spot deserving an externship and ranking high?
Thanks in advance, I appreciate any insight!
Just extern th
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in learning more about the 4-year UF Gainesville OMFS program (not the Jacksonville 6-year program). Haven't seen anything on here or reddit so I thought I'd just make a new post.

For any current residents, alumni, or recent externs:
  • How is the resident culture and overall happiness?
  • How much operative autonomy do residents get?
  • What are the orthognathic, implant, and trauma experiences like?
  • Does having only 1 resident per year feel like an advantage or disadvantage?
  • How well does the program prepare graduates for private practice?
  • If you were applying again, would it be a spot deserving an externship and ranking high?
Thanks in advance, I appreciate any insight!
looking at your post history, I’m guessing your a d2. Don’t worry about this right now, you’re asking questions that you’ll be answering yourself in a year from now. If you’re curious about a program extern there. Things you hear from people vary widely and are often biased. Just take the cbse and get to know your schools omfs faculty the rest will fall into place.
 
Just extern th

looking at your post history, I’m guessing your a d2. Don’t worry about this right now, you’re asking questions that you’ll be answering yourself in a year from now. If you’re curious about a program extern there. Things you hear from people vary widely and are often biased. Just take the cbse and get to know your schools omfs faculty the rest will fall into place.
At my school we have a pretty tight schedule and I only have enough time for a few externships. I'm trying to learn about whether or not Florida is enticing enough to lock in one of those weeks for me. I just don't have enough time to extern at every program I'm curious about. I know other D2s who already have externships scheduled, so I don't feel it's that early to find out more about programs. Can you share your experience?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gainesville is a great program. They do a lot of core omfs stuff from what I’ve heard. But the only way to truly know a program is to extern there. It’s a personal thing, depends on what you want to do. This will change greatly as you extern and get a real taste of what omfs has to offer. If a program catches your eye, try to find info via existing threads. If it’s not there extern there. I heard tons of different things about programs I externed at, I frequently came out with a widely different opinion than what I saw on these threads.
 
At my school we have a pretty tight schedule and I only have enough time for a few externships. I'm trying to learn about whether or not Florida is enticing enough to lock in one of those weeks for me. I just don't have enough time to extern at every program I'm curious about. I know other D2s who already have externships scheduled, so I don't feel it's that early to find out more about programs. Can you share your experience?
Reach out before committing to the externship and see if you can talk to a current resident. Every place from my experience has been more than happy to answer any questions. Externships are nice to see programs you may be interested in because a pretty good chunk of people end up matching where they extern at. Nobody cares where you extern at besides that they might get to know you more. Externing is like checking a box that you saw what omfs actually does and that you were a decent person to be around during it. Every program will prepare you well for private practice if you mean wizzys, implants, etc. Its the other experience that varies such as head and neck cancer experience, orthognathic volume, trauma volume, etc.
 
Reach out before committing to the externship and see if you can talk to a current resident. Every place from my experience has been more than happy to answer any questions. Externships are nice to see programs you may be interested in because a pretty good chunk of people end up matching where they extern at. Nobody cares where you extern at besides that they might get to know you more. Externing is like checking a box that you saw what omfs actually does and that you were a decent person to be around during it. Every program will prepare you well for private practice if you mean wizzys, implants, etc. Its the other experience that varies such as head and neck cancer experience, orthognathic volume, trauma volume, etc.
Also what I recommend is finding programs that have vastly different focuses to find out what you want to do in OMFS. Find out if you love trauma, orthognathic, head and neck, etc. because it's like the different dental specialties... you don't know unless you've experienced it. Most programs will do everything but may not do certain things to a larger volume. It's kinda like going to a dental school and thinking all they do is fillings and crowns.