UF/Miami acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applyingnotfun

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at UF and Miami around the 10th of this month, and I thought I would have heard from UF by now. Has anyone that interviewed this month at either of these schools heard back from them? If not, how long do these schools typically take to give decisions post-interview? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

uf is pretty quick - i believe the committee meets at least weekly, or at least bi-weekly. not sure about miami... they can kiss my butt since they never even offered me a bloody interview.

I'm out of state and miami still hasn't said anything to me post secondary. god they work slow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DEMO12345
I'm out of state and miami still hasn't said anything to me post secondary. god they work slow.

I am instate and they didn't say anything to me post-secondary either...

As for UF, they meet on a weekly basis, generally on Monday evenings the week after your interview and decide then on the stauts of the applications. Early on in the process, the majority of those in your interview group were put on "hold" while 1 or 2 were accepted and 3-5 were rejected outright. That's what they told us. I interviewed back in Novemeber though. Those put on hold would then get their decisions sometime in later janurary or early feburary. It's very possible that they're working through all the "holds" and are now just giving acceptences more freely than before and therefore giving out less holds so it could be that your application has been caught up in that. Just wait it out until mid-feb. i'd say.

I interviewed at Miami last week, and Dr. Hinkley told us that a decision could be made on Feb. 4 or Feb. 18. I'm guessing the adcom meets on these dates, so you may hear back then.

I interviewed at Miami in December and they took about 6 weeks to let us know.

I also interviewed at Miami in December, and Dr. Hinkley was very straightforward - he told us our applications would be reviewed yesterday and that we would hear either yesterday or today (I actually just found out this morning that I was accepted, and that's where I'll be going!). I take it from your post that they might have stopped doing that, but it was about 6 weeks. Hope that helps, and good luck!

I interviewed at both UF and UMiami in mid Oct. UF got back to me in exactly one week. Miami took about 3-4 weeks. I got put on hold for both schools, which kinda sucks. But if what Facted says is true, I should be hearing from UF any day now. Good luck to you!

I interviewed at UM on Dec. 18 and got accepted this morning! Hope that helps, and good luck!

I got accepted to Miami this morning!!!!!! Woo hoo

Congratulations also go out to chopin and glj79!

Off to go celebrate now...

lex

PS- I interviewed early December. Dr Hinkley said today was the earliest they'd let us know because of the holiday break in between.

For those of you who interviewed at Miami, what was your impression of the school? What draws you to the program there? I myself am seriously considering attending Miami...

Sachin

SachinG - It's an easy decision for me to attend Miami because I live here already and want to stay near my boyfriend. But I was really impressed with the current students at the interview - the one thing they all raved about was the clinical experiences, and the Jackson campus was really impressive. The students also seemed outgoing, and they went out and had fun. I'm sure there are partiers and stay-at-home-and-studiers at every school, but I seemed to meet more relaxed people at Miami than at other schools. I also really like the organ-systems based organization for the first two years. The weather doesn't hurt either!

Has anyone else definitely decided on Miami for next year?

Originally posted by SachinG
For those of you who interviewed at Miami, what was your impression of the school? What draws you to the program there? I myself am seriously considering attending Miami...

Sachin

I was very impressed by UM.

The students seem very happy and not too stressed out. They are very enthusiastic about their school and the clinical opportunities available. They also seem to have more life experience than students at other schools. (I think that is a factor that carries a lot of weight in admissions.)

There seem to be unlimited clinical opportunities from the very beginning of med school (as opposed to starting in 3rd year at many schools). The students told us that it isn't uncommon for a second-year student to be explaining things to a new resident because the Miami students have seen so much!

There are several outreach opportunities in rural Florida and other countries. I like the fact that these programs are encouraged and that most of the students participate.

The curriculum is systems-based and all of the classes from the current year and previous years are online to watch.

The faculty and students seem to have great relationships and the school seems to be pretty flexible to accommodate whatever students want to get out of their education.

Jackson-Memorial has a diverse patient population and you get to see a lot there.

The disadvantages:

$$$

I'm not sure if I would like living in Miami.

"The disadvantages:

$$$"

Actually, if you're out of state, they give a scholarship to cut down tuition and make it equal or lower to in-state tuition. What was your impression of how well students do on the boards and in the Match?

Originally posted by SachinG
"The disadvantages:

$$$"

Actually, if you're out of state, they give a scholarship to cut down tuition and make it equal or lower to in-state tuition. What was your impression of how well students do on the boards and in the Match?

They didn't say what the average board scores are or give any specific numbers about matching. Dr. Hinkley mentioned that residency programs have looked favorably upon the grading system (number grades rather than letters or P/F).

The literature they gave us says the tuition is ~$28,000 for in-state and ~$36,000 for out-of-state.

If U of Miami would change to P/F or H/P/F they would seriously attract more students, I know a lot of people do not want to receive a "top 2%" and "top 10%" for every class they take...if you like that then go for it, but rankings and numbers are very high school-ish and detract from team building and true cooperation.

By the way, if you do good on Step I and manage to take on good extracurriculars/research you can match almost anywhere, Miami is not an unknown medical school either...I just have a gripe with their grading system.:cool: