UCF vs Miami

Started by warmsoup
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

X v Y

  • Miami

    Votes: 8 88.9%
  • UCF

    Votes: 1 11.1%

  • Total voters
    9
  • Poll closed .

warmsoup

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm deciding between UCF and U Miami and would love to hear your input.
Miami Pros:
  • 14-month Phase 1 pre-clinical curriculum (not sure if this is good or bad)
  • P/F preclinical *** (w/ rank, see cons)
  • Awesome match list!
  • Lots of research opportunities especially in my interest areas
  • Exams every 2 weeks (I don’t think I would mind this as each exam would be lower stakes I think?)
  • Higher in rank (#44)
  • Close to the water/ tons of fun things to do outside of medicine (but also costly $$$ in Miami)
Miami Cons:
  • Step 1 and 2 are both taken in 3rd year within a 3 months time frame (students seem to not mind but this scares me)
  • Ranked (quartiles) pre-clinicals
  • Required 8am-12pm classes every day
  • Exams on Monday morning at 8 am every other week - weekends will be stressful
  • older facilities
  • Total COA would be about $450k after all 4 years
  • 8 hr drive from home
UCF Pros:
  • Solid match list for a newer school
  • FIRE program guides you through a research project
  • 6 weeks for dedicated Step 1 studying / and I think 4 weeks of dedicated step 2 studying
  • Total COA would be around $300k after all 4 years
  • 4 hr drive from home
  • newer facilities
UCF Cons:
  • 2 year graded pre-clinical curriculum - ABCDF (was told that about 70% of the class makes A’s on exams - this graded preclinical curriculum is one of the biggest cons in my opinion)
  • Lower in rank (#98)
  • Sorted into percentiles for clerkship
  • Rotations with HCA and not with Orlando Health or Advent
  • M3/M4 rotations are all over the state = moving around a lot
I am interested in a few competitive (ortho, anesthesia, rads) and also some less competitive specialties (PM&R, Sports Med). Overall, I think I am leaning towards Miami, but I am worried that I will regret taking out more loans for school. TYIA.