UF Pharmacy Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jitaka

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was recently granted conditional acceptance to UF-COP and I have a couple of questions:

1) what are your thoughts on the program?
2) Do you feel as though you are treated like a number or as a person?
3) how are the professors?
4) currently, I live in a very loud housing complex (campus lodge). What would any of you suggest for grad student living.

Thanks guys.

-Jitaka

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I was recently granted conditional acceptance to UF-COP and I have a couple of questions:

1) what are your thoughts on the program?
2) Do you feel as though you are treated like a number or as a person?
3) how are the professors?
4) currently, I live in a very loud housing complex (campus lodge). What would any of you suggest for grad student living.

Thanks guys.

-Jitaka

First of all I'm a 4th year student at the Orlando campus so I can give you my perspective as far as distance sites goes.

1. I love the program and feel that it prepared me well for rotations. I've also been on rotations with students from other programs and they said that they feel like we're better prepared clinically for rotations. Also, since UF is well established, we have a big selection of electives when it comes to rotations. (this is especially helpful if you're planning on doing a residency)

2. I've not felt like a number at the distance site, we're a smaller group (~50students per class)and are a close-knit bunch. Also we get a really good opportunity to learn from practicing pharmacists (they are facilitators in some courses- this may be different in Gainesville).

3. I thought the professors were great, many are experts in their field and are well-established. Also I think it's important that some of the same professors have been teaching at UF for a while, I think this says alot about the quality of the faculty (versus a school that may have new professors each year).

4. As far as housing goes I would try and find something quiet, this is actually one of the reasons I'm very happy that I wasn't in Gainesville. I personally am not a big fan of the college town kind of atmosphere anymore as I lived that in undergrad. You'll need to study a lot and if you're going to be watching lectures from home I'd say that you're going to want someplace quiet, although you can always go the library. Hopefully someone else can offer some good advice on places to live in Gainesville.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all I'm a 4th year student at the Orlando campus so I can give you my perspective as far as distance sites goes.

1. I love the program and feel that it prepared me well for rotations. I've also been on rotations with students from other programs and they said that they feel like we're better prepared clinically for rotations. Also, since UF is well established, we have a big selection of electives when it comes to rotations. (this is especially helpful if you're planning on doing a residency)

2. I've not felt like a number at the distance site, we're a smaller group (~50students per class)and are a close-knit bunch. Also we get a really good opportunity to learn from practicing pharmacists (they are facilitators in some courses- this may be different in Gainesville).

3. I thought the professors were great, many are experts in their field and are well-established. Also I think it's important that some of the same professors have been teaching at UF for a while, I think this says alot about the quality of the faculty (versus a school that may have new professors each year).

4. As far as housing goes I would try and find something quiet, this is actually one of the reasons I'm very happy that I wasn't in Gainesville. I personally am not a big fan of the college town kind of atmosphere anymore as I lived that in undergrad. You'll need to study a lot and if you're going to be watching lectures from home I'd say that you're going to want someplace quiet, although you can always go the library. Hopefully someone else can offer some good advice on places to live in Gainesville.

Thank you Trancelucent1 for your input :)

I intend to do a residency in the future. Is it difficult to match for a residency out-of-state???

Thank you Trancelucent1 for your input :)

I intend to do a residency in the future. Is it difficult to match for a residency out-of-state???

No, not if you're good.