UF vs Brown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UF vs Brown

• UF

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Brown

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters

buddybrown78

Reaction score
Hello again everyone! I have been recently accepted off the waitlist to UF and would like some input on which school is the better choice. I would be out of state for UF but they have waived the difference between OOS and IS. Additionally, UF has essentially matched my financial aid package from Brown relative to their COA estimates. Cost is practically the same at each school. Please let me know what you think about these schools, about things I may not have considered, and/or correct me if I’m wrong. Im open to any speciality but my possible interests are ENT, Anesthesiology, and Derm. Thanks!

Brown

Pros

• P/F preclinical

• Only med school in RI so more opportunities

• Providence is a nice small city and the Brown undergrad campus is beautiful

• Nice selection of programs which allow students to aid the community

• Decent research opportunities

• Slightly higher in residency director rankings

• Good match

Cons

• Higher tuition: around $68,000 offset by need based scholarship

• Upon first impression slightly unimpressed by med school facilities

• Higher COL

UF

Pros

• New medical school building

• P/F preclinical

• Top med school in Florida

• Nicer weather

• Better facilities and health network

• More research opportunities due to funding?

• Good match

• Lower COL

Cons

• Never been to Gainesville not sure what to expect

• Hard to make connections for residency in Gainesville?

• Required rotations in Jacksonville

Members don't see this ad.

Equal reputations (UF might even have a slight edge because it’s a flagship/regional powerhouse) so go where you feel comfortable

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone else said, very comparable reputations in medicine. Career wise, I don’t think one is a better move than the other. So, go by personal factors, which would pretty much be location here. Do you want winters or not? Couldn’t be more different environments as you well know. Obviously Brown gets a +1 for the lay prestige, but I can’t imagine that’s too important for you since it wasn’t mentioned

Since you're more interested in specialties, UF is definitely the better option, as it has more research opportunities and a stronger specialty match list. It seems like Brown's match list is very primary care heavy, with few matches in Derm/ENT. UF having lower cost of living on top of stronger match and research funding is an added bonus.