UF vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

movingonup

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The cost at UF will be about $32,000
The cost at NYU will be about $52,000

I am sure the education is great at both schools but I will have a lot less debt at UF.

Shands is a good hospital, very state of the art. Bellevue at NYU is not as high tech, but much busier.

But GAINESVILLE over New York... what should I do? This is turning out to be a really tough decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by movingonup
The cost at UF will be about $32,000
The cost at NYU will be about $52,000

I am sure the education is great at both schools but I will have a lot less debt at UF.

Shands is a good hospital, very state of the art. Bellevue at NYU is not as high tech, but much busier.

But GAINESVILLE over New York... what should I do? This is turning out to be a really tough decision.

It's easy: are you more of a beach or a city person?

might wanna take a look at the map. g'ville is north CENTRAL florida. the closest beaches are over an hour away. we do however have a few lakes, or as i like to call them, mosquito orgies.

Originally posted by Newquagmire
It's easy: are you more of a beach or a city person?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey movingonup,

I sent you a PM; but to be brief I may have the same decision to make and whenever I try to get an opinion it is usually very biased (from family and some friends - UF cause I am from south Florida, but to teachers and others from the northeast say NY). Another thing is that my brother is at UF undergrad. Right now I am decided on New York, because I was placed on the hold list at UF, but if I ever get off it then I too will be in your shoes.

Nuff said!:laugh:

movingonup,
if you get off the alternate list at Miami, will this effect your decision?

the debt thing is weighing heavily on me too movingonup. Is it worth it to be an additional 100K in debt?? i dont know man....going to a private school might also restrict our choice of specialty. we might have to go for the bucks instead of the field we love. but NYC would be nuts and much more exciting than gainesville.

Originally posted by avicoo
movingonup,
if you get off the alternate list at Miami, will this effect your decision?

I just figured out how to quote. I've been reading this site for a while, but I just became a member so I may be late in responding to stuff...

How do you respond to a PM

No I don't think a Miami acceptance will weigh that much into my decision. I am not too disappointed with the waitlist, but like anyone else, I would rather have gotten in to keep my options open. If I could get a free ride at Miami, I would definately consider.
I think UF is the better school (thats an opinion) and from me... A huge CANES fan... who bleeds orange and green, that definately shows how impressed I was with how things are run there.

The whole miami thing kinda pissed me off... I guess its because they took so long to review my application after I interviewed, but I kinda lost interest. As my for my undergrad, I still feel very loyal to them and cannot just look lightly at a UM acceptance

I don't plan to stay on the waitlist too long. If I don't get an acceptance I will drop and give someone else a chance... but I want to make sure UF and NYU go smoothly. Miami costs the same as NYU and if I was to go to a private school I think I would rather New York after the past 4 years in miami. Will have to get used to the cold though.

Originally posted by ramster
hey movingonup,

I sent you a PM; but to be brief I may have the same decision to make and whenever I try to get an opinion it is usually very biased (from family and some friends - UF cause I am from south Florida, but to teachers and others from the northeast say NY). Another thing is that my brother is at UF undergrad. Right now I am decided on New York, because I was placed on the hold list at UF, but if I ever get off it then I too will be in your shoes.

This decision is made even harder by the fact that NYU is not looking closely at the EFC and is basically giving only $3000 grant to everyone. I guessed this from reading the NYU tuition threads.

Well I am a Florida resident and think that UF is a very good school as is NYU in both research and education.

However, I think what it boils down to in your situation is looking at curriculum, location, facilities, and the overall impression you got from students at each school and the faculty there.

Oh I wanted to add in regards to location, UF is in the middle of nowhere, whereas NY is in NYC. I would probably pick NYU but mainly because I would like to do residency there at the New York medical center.

i spent 3 years at UF, and all i did was check out girls and play soccer. its a small hick town with little to do but sports.

Originally posted by mlw03
might wanna take a look at the map. g'ville is north CENTRAL florida. the closest beaches are over an hour away. we do however have a few lakes, or as i like to call them, mosquito orgies.

an hour's drive is cakewalk buddy. i'd gladly drive an hour for beach.

i guess us floridians are spoiled in that regard. unless you're from orlando or a farm, you grew up without a stone's throw of the ocean.

Originally posted by Newquagmire
an hour's drive is cakewalk buddy. i'd gladly drive an hour for beach.

I just figured out how to quote. I've been reading this site for a while, but I just became a member so I may be late in responding to stuff...

How do you respond to a PM

No I don't think a Miami acceptance will weigh that much into my decision. I am not too disappointed with the waitlist, but like anyone else, I would rather have gotten in to keep my options open. If I could get a free ride at Miami, I would definately consider.
I think UF is the better school (thats an opinion) and from me... A huge CANES fan... who bleeds orange and green, that definately shows how impressed I was with how things are run there.

The whole miami thing kinda pissed me off... I guess its because they took so long to review my application after I interviewed, but I kinda lost interest. As my for my undergrad, I still feel very loyal to them and cannot just look lightly at a UM acceptance

I don't plan to stay on the waitlist too long. If I don't get an acceptance I will drop and give someone else a chance... but I want to make sure UF and NYU go smoothly. Miami costs the same as NYU and if I was to go to a private school I think I would rather New York after the past 4 years in miami. Will have to get used to the cold though.

Im in the same predicament. I think I can get off the michigan waitlist--but it probably wouldnt be until July. Then Id have a decision--I cant see paying all that extram money for someone else's state school essentially. I liked UF--of all the schools I felt their faculty cared about the students the most and also the students seemed happiest there. But as a big canes fan the mere sight of orange and blue makes me want to puke. I wanted to like UM med school but I didnt and cant see paying the money to go there. UF is cheap and Gville seems pretty cheap too. If its your lifelong dream to live in NY, then i would go there...but I would look into what med school life is like there and if its worth it. An MD is an MD and you have to go where you think you'll do the best i think.