UF vs UCF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnalwoh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviewed and was accepted to UF earlier this cycle-- interviewed at UCF more recently and ended up liking UCF a lot more than I planned lol

UF
Pros
  • Shands!
  • Amazing community -- felt so welcomed by everyone already
  • Gainesville has been home for the past several years
  • Pass/fail
  • Probably better clinical experiences/better 3rd and 4th year opportunities?
  • Great research opportunities

Cons
  • historically, bad with financial aid // won't know until april
  • I've heard that students feel more stressed when it comes to step studying since the curriculum is less focused on the step

UCF
Pros
  • Amazing step scores/match lists
  • Nemours is awesome- I have pediatric interest
  • Close to home -- my parents live nearby
  • Most likely cheaper, financial aid will come out in march
  • separate campus from undergrad
  • New hospital coming in 2020? 2021?
  • I've heard the first two years are more comprehensive here
  • Dean German is incredible

Cons
  • Clinical sites are more spread out // not teaching hospitals?
  • I guess another con could be that UCF doesn't have the same reputation that UF does

Summary: Feel like I could be successful and happy at both schools, not sure how much reputation matters in the decision/how big of a deal a pass/fail curriculum is

Members don't see this ad.

UCF student here, based on what you've said I'd go to whichever school is cheapest. It sounds like you liked both schools and both are great schools.

As far as the grades go for UCF, the exams are more than fair. I believe the average for our first module exam was a 88%. If there are questions that you feel are poorly written you can write a challenge card and the professors might accept multiple answers or throw out the question all together. One nice thing that I appreciate is that the week of exams we have no classes so you have a solid week of studying before exams. There are also Mock exams (completely optional to take and do not count towards actual grade) which help you get used to the types of questions you should expect on the real exams. I think the only time grades hurt is when you get C's.

And despite having grades everyone in my class is extremely collaborative and share their notes and Anki decks on our Classes Facebook group.

And I felt our course work really followed what we should see on STEP. While studying using First Aid everything pretty much lined up.

Again if you really liked both schools I'd go to whichever one is cheaper.

Oh and don't forget to add Nap Pods to your Pro's list for UCF ;)

Reactions: 1 users
UCF student here, based on what you've said I'd go to whichever school is cheapest. It sounds like you liked both schools and both are great schools.

As far as the grades go for UCF, the exams are more than fair. I believe the average for our first module exam was a 88%. If there are questions that you feel are poorly written you can write a challenge card and the professors might accept multiple answers or throw out the question all together. One nice thing that I appreciate is that the week of exams we have no classes so you have a solid week of studying before exams. There are also Mock exams (completely optional to take and do not count towards actual grade) which help you get used to the types of questions you should expect on the real exams. I think the only time grades hurt is when you get C's.

And despite having grades everyone in my class is extremely collaborative and share their notes and Anki decks on our Classes Facebook group.

And I felt our course work really followed what we should see on STEP. While studying using First Aid everything pretty much lined up.

Again if you really liked both schools I'd go to whichever one is cheaper.

Oh and don't forget to add Nap Pods to your Pro's list for UCF ;)

Thanks so much for your input!