UGA Pharm Students...help needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reclusive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Can any UGA pharm students post their stats if possible? I searched through the forums and found some good information. I just want to see what some people here needed to get in as a sort of survey. I also read UGA places no emphasis on degree holders and might be biased towards non-traditional students so any feedback on that would be appreciated.
Finally after reading on the whole Mercer vs UGA vs South debates here, I came to realize I will most likely need to apply to all three for the best chance to attend pharm school in GA (I am already a resident). I have taken no A&P classes yet so my South application will have to wait another year. UGA is my preferred choice (for obvious reasons..its cheap).
Currently here are my limited stats. Science GPA 3.6 (taking org II and phys I this semester). Undergrad GPA 3.1 The Ohio State Univ - BSBA completed '99 (yeah we blew that bowl game). Graduate GPA 3.5 - Shorter College - MBA done '03. Taking PCAT hopefully in August.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
Can any UGA pharm students post their stats if possible? I searched through the forums and found some good information. I just want to see what some people here needed to get in as a sort of survey. I also read UGA places no emphasis on degree holders and might be biased towards non-traditional students so any feedback on that would be appreciated.
Finally after reading on the whole Mercer vs UGA vs South debates here, I came to realize I will most likely need to apply to all three for the best chance to attend pharm school in GA (I am already a resident). I have taken no A&P classes yet so my South application will have to wait another year. UGA is my preferred choice (for obvious reasons..its cheap).
Currently here are my limited stats. Science GPA 3.6 (taking org II and phys I this semester). Undergrad GPA 3.1 The Ohio State Univ - BSBA completed '99 (yeah we blew that bowl game). Graduate GPA 3.5 - Shorter College - MBA done '03. Taking PCAT hopefully in August.

Well - you can look at UGA's website if you haven't already - basically you need a very high GPA and a very high PCAT. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by non-traditional students. Typically I think people think of that meaning students who didn't take a direct path from undergrad to pharmacy school - maybe they are older, had a different career first, etc. I don't have any firsthand knowledge of their student body (although I've met quite a few grads), but I am an non-traditional student and I did not even apply to UGA in part because I did not get a good feeling from the website and other materials I read on the web about their interest in accomodating applicants who hadn't gone through their standard pre-reqs. Not that I had a problem with meeting pre-reqs (everybody expects you to do that) but the format seemed very oriented towards people who were already at UGA or in the Georgia state system somewhere and who had known in advance that they were applying to GA. You are correct that they place no emphasis on degree holders - my understanding from their admission materials was that they only consider GPA from their exact list of prereqs.

I know a few people who got in there, and they were all UGA students except for one. The other guy had almost a 4.0 b/c he went to a community college, and he made around a 70 on the PCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to UGA, but never went there for undergrad (went to Georgia Tech :D). I can be considered a "non-trad" since I have an engineering degree and worked as an engineer for a few years until I decided to change careers. Yes, it's true they place a lot of emphasis on high scores and they don't especially favor degree students like most other schools. However, I would have to disagree about them not accommodating students not initially at UGA; it may seem like that up front, but I didn't have any problems getting classes approved, of course I had taken more than was necessary through my undergrad already! I had a 3.2 GPA overall at Georgia Tech and scored in the 90s on the PCAT. Oh, they only consider prereq GPA (and PCAT of course).

i just got accepted, pcats 84% and pre-pharm gpa was a 3.88..i didn't have much experience, just shadowed a couple of pharmacists. i went to a different school for my pre-pharm courses and then transferred here junior year and worked toward a science degree, but thankfully i got accepted. good luck! just take the pcats as many times as you can, they like that a lot, and i think it helps if you have a few upper level science courses.

Just do really well on your PCAT. That's the first thing they mention in my interview, but I scored a 99%.