Ughh..looks like US med schools are increasing seats this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PKP719

Operation starts after 12
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
LOL , looks like my probability to get an resident back in the U.S has just decreased if I go to carib med school.

Anyone disagree ?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's insignificant decrease in chances obtaining a residency spot. Currently, only 64% of MDs entering practice are U.S. grads, throw in 11% DO grads, and you still have 25% of slots still waiting to be filled by an IMG. And only 5% of those are U.S. IMG's.

I agree with awdc. Add to that the fact that residency programs have consistenly added to the number of PGY spots each year over the past 15-20 years and you have nothing to worry about... for now.

I think in the next 20 years, though, there will be a major shake-out in offshore medical education. The reason why all these schools are popping up left-and-right is because there is a demand for more physicians in the U.S. What I think is going to happen is that some grads from certain schools just will not be able to get a residency position, as happens already now. The field will continue to get "tighter" as more osteopathic grads enter ACGME residencies and the U.S. allo schools increase their spots.

Will the Carib schools ever completely go away? I doubt it. They will always exist to cater to students who couldn't make "the dream" come true following traditional routes. However, students will have to become much wiser in their choice of offshore schools, and these schools will also get more competitive in their admissions. As it is now, an admission is no guarantee of graduation. And graduation is no guarantee of getting a residency and subsequent licensure (although, as it is now, some fields are so wide open, like FP, that you can get something coming out of the big, well-established Carib schools even with mediocre board scores).

The real group of people who are going to feel the squeeze are the true IMGs, which are those who are not U.S. citizens and have graduated from a European or Indian (etc.) school. There just won't be as much of a need for them to fill positions, and J-1 sponsorship will drop drastically.

Currently, roughly 25% of practicing physicians in the U.S. are foreign-trained. I could only guess, but I don't imagine that this number will ever drop below 15%. Even with the added spots at U.S. allo schools and the new D.O. schools adding more U.S.-trained physicians to the workforce, it'll still be hard to make up that 200,000 physician deficit that's predicted by the year 2020.

If you go offshore for school, just be wise in your decision on where to go, put your nose to the grindstone, and work work work. If you do well, there will be a spot waiting for you when you get back to the U.S.

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
skip thanks for the heads up info .. :thumbup:

This is excellent advice!

Skip Intro said:
Do your own homework. Use the Internet as a resource, but don't trust, believe, or take at face-value anything you read on a forum. Independently verify everything.