uh, anybody have to retake because of writing sample?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardyharhar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Uh, yeah. Anybody? My situation is that while I can't remember and have any opinion on my performance on the science sections, I remember sucking a** on both writing samples and am thinking, uh, L, M, N, and O if I am lucky. I already read a post by someone in another forum with a 37L who was advised not to retake despite his low writing score.
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If your other scores are good, I wouldn't worry about it. It's kind of a mystery that the section is included on the MCAT. I think that it's just there as kind of a tie breaker/can this guy communicate above a third grade level quality control mechanism.

You probably did better than you think. My writing isn't even worth the ink, and I did OK on the section considering that I spent zero time studying for it. The actual value of the section is the cause of some speculation and debate, but I think that there is a common feeling that the other sections are much more important. Just don't stress about it. If it's really low (like <30th percentile) you might consider taking it again, but if it's halfway decent, go with it rather than delaying your app. Just my two pennies...........good luck.

I think it's only to drain people before the Bio section... and nothing more. So don't worry about your score unless you got a J or K.

I got an L, but I'm not going to retake. I'm not a terrible writer and I do well in English classes, I think the MCAT writing sample's grading is somewhat arbitrary. I'm just going to focus on writing a good personal statement. I think medical schools will trust that more than the opinion of whatever readers the AAMC paid to read MCAT essays.

The fact is that the writing sample is not heavily emphasized in admissions and most people don't bother studying for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pinkertinkle said:
The fact is that the writing sample is not heavily emphasized in admissions and most people don't bother studying for it.

Unless you're in Ontario.
To get an interview at Western Ontario this year you needed at least: PS9 VR10 BS9 and WS --> A freakin Q!

0T6 said:
Unless you're in Ontario.
To get an interview at Western Ontario this year you needed at least: PS9 VR10 BS9 and WS --> A freakin Q!
I'm glad I have no interest in Ontario schools. I think they're only hurting themselves in putting so much emphasis on such an arbitrary portion of the test.

Pinkertinkle said:
I'm glad I have no interest in Ontario schools. I think they're only hurting themselves in putting so much emphasis on such an arbitrary portion of the test.

Yah it does seem sort of silly but that's how it works :rolleyes:
The two other Ontario schools that require the MCAT (Toronto and Queens) need WS score of O+
That's what happens when you have so many qualified applicants and such limited number of spots.

That's my biggest fear! I totally clam up, can't come up with a good example, counterexample, etc. It's reassuring that I'm not alone, and it doesn't appear to be THAT big of a deal, anyway

dude, i really think the writing sample means absolutely nothing. maybe the only time it could play a factor is if you got the lowest score, a J?, and your personal statement is Pulitzer Prize worthy. Then maybe some bells would go off.

I got a T on writing, and my friend got an L (we had the same score on the MCAT give or take a point), and we both interviewed at the same places pretty much. In fact, she might have interviewed at 1 or 2 more places than me. These ran the gamut from top-tier to state school. She's going to a great medical school, so I doubt the L dampened her chances.

In sum, writing sample does not matter one bit, and if you retake b/c of the writing sample, then you are NUTS!! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
In sum, writing sample does not matter one bit, and if you retake b/c of the writing sample, then you are NUTS!!

you truly are if you do

I agree, don't retake because of writing sample. I got an M, and I'm an English major! One interviewer even commented on it, asking me what happened? I told him that I honestly didn't know, as I had confidence in my writing skills. I had an issue with one of my promps as well, I thought it was a little inflammatory. Anyway, the interviewer said he liked my personal statement, so he just chalked it up to test day craziness.
I got four interviews and was accepted at all four schools, and M is 14-30th percentile, so take from that what you will.

Xandie, not to be rude, but I think you should change your font to something darker. The pink is annoyingly hard to read. At least for me it is.

Xandie, You didn't write on the MCAT in pink did you? :) My visual acuity just dropped off after reading your post. Maybe the test grader was angry because you gave him a migraine.

Yeah, I wrote in pink highlighter. Do you think that affected my score?

*Ask sarcastic questions, get sarcastic answers*

Xandie said:
Yeah, I wrote in pink highlighter. Do you think that affected my score?

*Ask sarcastic questions, get sarcastic answers*

Purple is only slightly better than pink. I didn't even bother reading the faint pink since it wasn't in Braille and otherwise illegible.

no one really cares about the writing score ;o
com'on, you are applying to med schools.....this means you did well in college (or anything after college) ;)