UH books help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,
I was wondering if any previous or current UH students know the ISBN number for the required books ( calculation book, organic book, and anyother required books). greatly appreciate your help. thanks:)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, please let us know! What's the isbn, title, author, edition, etc....?
It'd be really helpful because I plan on looking for books this summer. Any good suggestions to find them? THANKS everyone!
.....................................geeeesh, i'm gonna be so broke!

Same here, any help on books would be great. Do we even need the books, can we just check em out from the library?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know what books will be needed? if you are a 2nd year student, what books did you use last year? Is anyone interested in selling their books? anything would be a great help. Thanks!

I go to UH, but I'll be a 4th year this fall so I'm not sure my books will be up to date.... but if you ever think you're interested in an older edition for cheaper than the newest, shoot me an email.

and if you really want to know (of course take this w/ a grain of salt bc I'm not sure how much things have changed) the calculations book was sort of helpful sometimes, but if the program is the same as it was when I took it 2.5 years ago, they give you notes to print out for each lesson that will help you just as well as the book will. And I read 4 pages of the Medicinal Chemistry (pharmacodynamics) book & never opened it again. The organic chemistry (functional groups analysis) was helpful but I heard they've remove it from the curriculum or incorporated it into another class, so you may or may not need that book anymore. When they tell you to buy the Goodman & Gilman whatever book, it's worthless, just buy DiPiro's Pharmacotherapy. (most of my friends found DiPiro helpful, but I have read only 1-2 chapters from it).

So don't stress too much, wish I could help more w/ the isbn numbers.

And to answer PharmEm's question, they have all the textbooks in the library & you can only check them out to use in the library, you cannot remove them from the library. (& the pharmacy library really sucks so you'll either be one of those people who studies in there all the time bc there's no place else as quiet or you never will study there).

thank you Julia! any help is good at this point! I think I'm going to play it by ear and wait until I REALLY need the books to buy them, because I have heard that most of them might not be that necessary....

what's the name of the calculations book that we need and the name of the course we'll be using it? I've tried searching it through the UH bookstore website but its not clear....i'm confused...THank you!!

Did you guys put your parking permit on your fee statement or are you going to buy it at orientation?

What is the approx cost for books per yr?

I added mine to the bill on peoplesoft. The lady in the parking office told me that they'd mail it to people ordering and paying for the permits online so they'd have these permits on time for the Fall. The old permit for Summer only runs until 8/30. After that we need the new one. The Rx librarian tells me that usually if we don't have a permit, we'll run into a lot of problems parking. Maybe it's just me worrying too much a head of time LOL :):(
Did you guys put your parking permit on your fee statement or are you going to buy it at orientation?

I'm either buying it at orientation...or later. My friend (going to be 3rd yr UHPharm) said parking's free the first 2 weeks of school.

How do you guys know which one to get anyway? THere's garage, studnet, economy......

I'm gonan hold off to see which is the best both location-wise and price-wise.

I just got the regular student permit. It seems like that is the best option. That way you can park almost anywhere (besides faculty, garage, etc.).

When it says that we should wear professional dress the first day of orientation, that means wear a suit right?

I just got the regular student permit. It seems like that is the best option. That way you can park almost anywhere (besides faculty, garage, etc.).

When it says that we should wear professional dress the first day of orientation, that means wear a suit right?

I think so too... but that's gonna be not nice as the weather is like cooking in the oven here :D I'll call and ask them directly this Monday though. I hope it's gonna be only a formal dress shirt with a tie.
REgarding the parking, I got the Student one (it's 133$ for the entire year). I think it'll be worth it as you don't have to worry about parking (there are so many other stuffs to worry about already LOL). I don't think the first 2 weeks are free for parking though-that was what the people in the parking office told me. It'd be painful to get a big fat ticket the first day of school, don't you think?

Let us know what they say about the suit. It is going to be SO hot if we have to wear one! I just hope they have the AC on high that whole day if we do have to wear them. At least its just for the first day of orientation.

Angel, the orientation coordinator answer in response to my questiosn regarding what should be worn on the first day as "most people will wear a suit and tie on the first day of orientation". I guess they'll have a very high AC on that day also :)

congrats on getting in guys/gals :)

Thanks! Are you a UH pharmacy student?

Thanks! Are you a UH pharmacy student?

I'm actually on my P3 year at TSU, right around the corner from you guys. We are pretty active with your SNPhA chapter, so if you join SNPhA maybe I"ll be able to meet some of you :) The current Regional Facilitator is also from your school!