Uh Oh! Financial Aid Package Came in the Mail Today

• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

ZekeMD

15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I received my Financial Aid Package from Rochester today. So I opened it up to see that I had received ~10K in scholarships :thumbup:. I was very excited about that, until I looked at the rest. I'll be taking about 40K in loans this year alone :scared: ! Is anyone else feeling a bit overwhelmed by this? I felt like I was signing my life away when I was filling out the promissary note. Please tell me I'm not alone in this and some of you are also taking out lots and lots of loans!

ice_23

Economics Monster
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
NYC
Visit site
Status
Damn I feel for you. I don't know what my aid packages are going to be, but I'm sure that other people are in a similar situation.

-Ice

About the Ads

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
outside of the rich kids and the merit kids....

most of us will take everything out via loans. so you have a 40K head start on the rest of us. lucky you.

:)

josehernandez94

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
ZekeMD said:
I received my Financial Aid Package from Rochester today. So I opened it up to see that I had received ~10K in scholarships :thumbup:. I was very excited about that, until I looked at the rest. I'll be taking about 40K in loans this year alone :scared: ! Is anyone else feeling a bit overwhelmed by this? I felt like I was signing my life away when I was filling out the promissary note. Please tell me I'm not alone in this and some of you are also taking out lots and lots of loans!
Zeke,

When did you submit your financial aid application to Rochester (i.e., how long did it take you to hear from them with their decision?). I only submitted mine last week, so I was wondering how long I should expect to wait. Also, do they give you a breakdown for how much they allocate for housing, transportation, food, etc or do they just give you a lump sum? I'm most curious about the housing allocation (it was $600 last year for rent+utilities) and I'm curious if it's going up at all for this upcoming year.

joker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
Status
$40,000 is loans is not THAT bad. im going to be borrowing around $59,000 to go to UPENN next year (assuming they don't give me any need based scholarships). Which brings me to another point...I know I will get the $38,500 in govt loans, but where should I go to get the private loans which will cover my living expenses and stuff? I'm new to this, so any help would be appreciated!

About the Ads