Uh Oh. Just Got My MCAT scores! Have a question:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UserNameNeeded

SOS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I re-take it?

I was away on summer vacation and I just got my results: 28Q, which to my knowledge is like 6 points below UTSouthwestern's acceptance average.

Should I retake the test? The deadline to sign up is in like 3 days. I have plenty of time to study and practice (8+ hours a day for 30 days), since school will be starting after the August test date. But I don't know if it's worth it to re-take it-- I really don't want to spend another $200 unless a few higher points on the MCAT can really make a difference in acceptance-- and I'm about to send in my application this week, with my current MCAT results. Do you think a possible higher MCAT score will help me in this admissions cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your other numbers? Were you counting on the MCAT to get you in? Is UTSW your dream school? To what extent? Did you apply to other TX schools? As a resident?

GENDER -
43% women
57% men

AGE-
14% - 21 years old or younger
63% - 22 to 23 years old
13% - 24 to 25 years old
7% - 26 to 28 years old
3% - 29 years old or older

ETHNICITY-
1% - American Indian
6% - African American
32% - Asian/Pacific Islander
11% - Hispanic
3% - Other/Unreported
47% - White

MCAT-
Average MCAT score: 32.5
MCAT Score Range: 22 to 41

GPA-
Average Undergraduate GPA: 3.80
Average Science GPA: 3.76
GPA Range: 3.00 to 4.00

COLLEGE MAJOR-
A wide variety of college majors are represented in the entering class:
43% - Biological Sciences
14% - Biochemistry
12% - Engineering
10% - Social Sciences
9% - Humanities
7% - Business
6% - Chemistry
6% - Other Sciences
5% - Honors Programs
3% - Mathematics
3% - Other Majors
3% - Other Health Fields
2% - Computer Science

76% - Science/Engineering Majors
24% - Non-Science Majors
23% - Double Majors

What are your other numbers?

3.5 GPA. Would be higher if we neglect last year and half of my math/science classes. :laugh: I'm a Bio major, but I've never really been a math/science person. Probably explains why I got 11V, 9P and 8B, but makes me even more embarassed that I did so badly in the section of the MCAT that I'm majoring in. :(

Were you counting on the MCAT to get you in?

Yeah, sort of. Not necessarily get me in, but give *me* the confidence to be less panicky and freaked out about my chances.

Is UTSW your dream school?

Yes. Not the school itself, but the fact that it'll cost less and I'll be able to stay close to family/friends.

To what extent?

If I have no other choice, then I can handle going elsewhere. The ultimate goal is to become a great doctor, after all. But if that's the only choice I have, I'm wondering how hard/hassle-free it would be to transfer to UTS after a year at another med school (provided my grades are outstanding that first year).

Did you apply to other TX schools? As a resident?

Yes and Yes, I applied everywhere in TX. I really don't want to go to San Antonio, Galveston or the one in West Texas just because how far they are and all the added expenses that will go with it.

Anyway, thanks for listening and giving any input. I really appreciate it. You SDNers are the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on what you think you can get. A 28 isn't that good and it isn't that bad. If you think you can get a 30+, retake it. If you don't think you can do any better than 28, why waste the time? Did you study really hard for the last MCAT?

UserNameNeeded said:
3.5 GPA. Would be higher if we neglect last year and half of my math/science classes. :laugh: I'm a Bio major, but I've never really been a math/science person. Probably explains why I got 11V, 9P and 8B, but makes me even more embarassed that I did so badly in the section of the MCAT that I'm majoring in. :(

Yeah, sort of. Not necessarily get me in, but give *me* the confidence to be less panicky and freaked out about my chances.

Yes. Not the school itself, but the fact that it'll cost less and I'll be able to stay close to family/friends.

If I have no other choice, then I can handle going elsewhere. The ultimate goal is to become a great doctor, after all. But if that's the only choice I have, I'm wondering how hard/hassle-free it would be to transfer to UTS after a year at another med school (provided my grades are outstanding that first year).

Yes and Yes, I applied everywhere in TX. I really don't want to go to San Antonio, Galveston or the one in West Texas just because how far they are and all the added expenses that will go with it.

Anyway, thanks for listening and giving any input. I really appreciate it. You SDNers are the best!

Sorry to say this but I do not believe that your MCAT score will be competitive at Southwestern which is perhaps the biggest numbers ***** in Texas. :( Its a toss up between Baylor and Southwestern for that honor. :) I know people with a 3.5/36 and a 3.6/34 who did not make the waitlist in the last cycle. If Southwestern is a critical choice for you, I would register for the MCAT and start studying 24/7 as of yesterday. :( You will need at least a 30 to get their attention unless you have amazing ECs and letters. A 32 would be better still. :luck:

3.5/28 will put you in thick of it at most TX schools but Baylor and UTSW (unless you are a URM). I would apply AND retake knowing that those numbers are competitive but put you below the avg for all TX schools and probably give you about a 30% chance of getting in at all unless there is something else wonderful on your resume not yet shared with the forum.

Good luck and keep trying..... even people with 35's and 3.8's sometimes don't get in on the first try (I know 2).

i say take it again. what do you have to lose? $200 and a month of time? if its your dream school i say go for it.

gujuDoc said:
If you want to go to a top tier school like UTSW, I'd concentrate on bringing up your score.

Since it was your sciences, the good knews is that is easier to bring up then the verbal. If you can maintain the verbal you got and bring up the sciences by doing more practice through EK's 16 mini MCAT book, practice tests, and either TPR's science workbook/in class compendium or Kaplan topical tests, you'll be ok.

Well, if gujuDoc feels strongly enough to make the same exact post twice, then I would heed what she says!! :rolleyes:

I took the MCATs twice and scored a 22 on both tests, with the same breakdown... 9V, 6P, 7B. I know it is a pitiful score. But I am still going to go for the 3rd test in August and kick.ass. I just need some help in figuring out what I have been doing wrong both times. The first 22 was founded bc I had not touched a science book in 2 years and crammed everything into a month.

The second 22 was a shock bc this was after a year of sciences and feeling much better with content. I was taking twenty credits and doing some volunteer work that took about 15 hours a week of my time.

I know that I can bring my score up 5 points between the verbal and physical sciences if I can just finish the sections. I am always 2 passages behind on time every single time.

Verbal score was a shock both times bc I got 12s and 13s on Kaplan tests. I now know Kaplan sucks which is why I prepared with ExamKrackers the second time but not comprehensively.

Can someone out there help me out. I dont know what I am doing wrong. I know that I can review my material comprehensively but how to pick up on time. I feel that there are some key strategies that I am just not applying bc I know I am not as dumb as my MCAT score may make it seem.

HELP!!!

rozi99 said:
I took the MCATs twice and scored a 22 on both tests, with the same breakdown... 9V, 6P, 7B. I know it is a pitiful score. But I am still going to go for the 3rd test in August and kick.ass. I just need some help in figuring out what I have been doing wrong both times. The first 22 was founded bc I had not touched a science book in 2 years and crammed everything into a month.

The second 22 was a shock bc this was after a year of sciences and feeling much better with content. I was taking twenty credits and doing some volunteer work that took about 15 hours a week of my time.

I know that I can bring my score up 5 points between the verbal and physical sciences if I can just finish the sections. I am always 2 passages behind on time every single time.

Verbal score was a shock both times bc I got 12s and 13s on Kaplan tests. I now know Kaplan sucks which is why I prepared with ExamKrackers the second time but not comprehensively.

Can someone out there help me out. I dont know what I am doing wrong. I know that I can review my material comprehensively but how to pick up on time. I feel that there are some key strategies that I am just not applying bc I know I am not as dumb as my MCAT score may make it seem.

HELP!!!

Hey .. I am like you .. am taking the MCAT for the 3rd time this aug.. did not study for the first: score 24; studied for spring :21! but i improved my verbal from9-10... personally i think that TPr is better with their material .. I was scoring 14's on kaplan Verbal practices.. here is what i have realized the last few weeks.. I like EK a lot.. i was listening to their CDs( by the way if you can still get them.. they are mraculous) and they said how the average words and time alotted for VB section is ample for the slowest readers of a high school reading level.. and assured that all college grads read faster than that... it asked you just to READ .. do not worry about maping, marking, annotating...and then try to answer the questions.. i found out that i had aobut 10 minutes LEFT at the end of each test and my score has improved drastically.. i was not scoring higer than a 7-8( i was using all the marking/annotating crap they taught us) on TPR and just got my first 14 on it today.. and the score has gone up at a good pace.. you must know that TIME is not your problem in VB and believe it... it will help.. i was doing atleast 4 psgs at a time to simulate atleast half a test.... i will let you digest this... let me know if i can explain anthing further.. i hope this helps! all the best

gujuDoc said:
28 is a decent score. Actually 27 and above would get you somewhere, maybe not UTSW, but somewhere decent in the US yes.

:( i wish it was the same in canada... (maybe it is and i am just a noob)

Nekbat said:
:( i wish it was the same in canada... (maybe it is an i am just a noob)

Hehe, me too. A friend of mine just got rejected from McGill and she asked them why she wasn't accepted and they replied that her MCAT score of 32 for an out-of-province student "wasn't competitive enough". :eek: There are some Canadian schools that are MCAT lenient, but it seems for UofT, UBC, Mcgill, Queen's and the other top schools MCAT scores are a HUGE factor. It doesn't help that there's only 16 Canadian medical schools.

hey bmbwish,

it was so nice to get your response. thank you! so my understanding from you response is just to actually read the verbal passages and then hit the questions. pretty straightforward. i think i have been doing that for the most part but i really slow down when answering questions b/c i allow those testmakers to fool me. a friend of mine has the EK CDs so i'll get them and go over some content.

are you just practicing, practicing, practicing, now?

thanks,
rozi

bmbwish said:
Hey .. I am like you .. am taking the MCAT for the 3rd time this aug.. did not study for the first: score 24; studied for spring :21! but i improved my verbal from9-10... personally i think that TPr is better with their material .. I was scoring 14's on kaplan Verbal practices.. here is what i have realized the last few weeks.. I like EK a lot.. i was listening to their CDs( by the way if you can still get them.. they are mraculous) and they said how the average words and time alotted for VB section is ample for the slowest readers of a high school reading level.. and assured that all college grads read faster than that... it asked you just to READ .. do not worry about maping, marking, annotating...and then try to answer the questions.. i found out that i had aobut 10 minutes LEFT at the end of each test and my score has improved drastically.. i was not scoring higer than a 7-8( i was using all the marking/annotating crap they taught us) on TPR and just got my first 14 on it today.. and the score has gone up at a good pace.. you must know that TIME is not your problem in VB and believe it... it will help.. i was doing atleast 4 psgs at a time to simulate atleast half a test.... i will let you digest this... let me know if i can explain anthing further.. i hope this helps! all the best