uh oh, problem..help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainJack02

let's stir and shake
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've got a question about something...

i applied edp to a school, submitted my amcas, and mentioned the school's name in the ps. if i don't get in, i realize i can apply to other schools. but what am i to do about mentioning the school's name specifically in the PS? can i call amcas and ask to change it? or am i fcuked?

thanks for your time, folks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cross your fingers for that EDP. If you don't get in, call AMCAS crying and see if they'll give cut you some slack and fix it.

Wow, that sucks. Which school is it? Did you mention it in a way like, "This is the only med school I want to go to?" Hey maybe they will notice that you are fcuked and accept you. Then, you won't be fcuked anymore. :)

ummm....yeah.

You're **** outta luck. Bummer.

To ask the obvious, what, umm, were you thinking?

dc

maybe you can apply to non-amcas schools. but don't use that same PS from before.

i honestly doubt amcas would cut you some slack, but who knows you gotta try and plead with them. wow....

PublicEnemy said:
maybe you can apply to non-amcas schools. but don't use that same PS from before.

Yeah, good luck applying out-of-state to all those Texas schools.

But if you think about it....if that adcom sees that you were balsy enough to clearly say that you want to go to that school in the PS, then they might favor you if everything else is good (gpa, mcat...). Also, if you don't get in through edp, then your application is recyceld and you are entered into the regular applicant pool, so it will help there too. But as for getting into other schools.. I think you are pretty much out of the running, unless an adcom is really sympathetic and willing to overlook your mistake.

GOBUCKY!

1-- call AMCAS and try to change it
2-- if 1 fails, and your edp school fails, then send out a blanket letter to all the other schools you're applying to explaining this. No big deal really, they realize you're human. They'll see you applied EDP anyway, and having done that helps explain your late app also. Get to work now on a blanket letter explaining the problem if you end up needing to.

People get in with grammatical errors, so no worries and good luck.

the magnitude of the *****itude of this situation befuddles me.

it's mercer, btw. they accept a good # of ppl edp. my gpa is below their avg but mcat is well, well above their avg.

oh, god help me.

Members don't see this ad :)
franklinthedog said:
2-- if 1 fails, and your edp school fails, then send out a blanket letter to all the other schools you're applying to explaining this. No big deal really, they realize you're human. They'll see you applied EDP anyway, and having done that helps explain your late app also. Get to work now on a blanket letter explaining the problem if you end up needing to.

i agree with franklin.

franklinthedog said:

I really doubt AMCAS will let you change it. I just called them (five minutes ago) to ask to change something on a transcript (I took a summer course in HS that I didn't think counted for credit, but just found out it did). And they said there is no way to change it once it's already been submitted and I should call all my med schools and explain to them the situation a little later in the application process. I think that's what you're going to have to end up doing if EDP doesn't work out. Good luck with it all.

If you don't get in edp at Mercer, where else might you apply? I would guess that MCG would be one of the schools you'd be interested in. They are extremely forgiving and kind in the application process and I think they would help you out. If it comes time to apply to other schools, contact Linda DeVaughn at MCG and she'll help you out. I think the blanket letter mentioned by another poster would go a long way with the adcom at MCG. Good luck!

not to be mean, but does it strike anyone else as funny that this mess happened to someone with the phrase "the Man with the Plan" above their avatar? a lack of proper planning, maybe? :D

sorry, i know i'm an ass, so don't bother pointing it out :cool:

anyway, yea, i think i'd just keep my fingers crossed and then use the "blanket letter" method if that doesn't work out.

much luck
sd

superdevil said:
not to be mean, but does it strike anyone else as funny that this mess happened to someone with the phrase "the Man with the Plan" under their avatar? a lack of proper planning, maybe? :D

sorry, i know i'm an ass, so don't bother pointing it out :cool:

anyway, yea, i think i'd just keep my fingers crossed and then use the "blanket letter" method if that doesn't work out.

much luck
sd

fine, i changed it.

*edit* thanks all for the help, pity, and cruel mocking.

if edp doesn't work out, blanket letter and tearful call to aamc it is.

VFrank said:
Yeah, good luck applying out-of-state to all those Texas schools.
I think NYU does not participate in amcas.

jpro said:
I think NYU does not participate in amcas.
Columbia and Brown also don't use AMCAS

i thought columbia jumped on the AMCAS bandwagon?

superdevil said:
i thought columbia jumped on the AMCAS bandwagon?

They did...check out their app

CaptainJack02 said:
i've got a question about something...

i applied edp to a school, submitted my amcas, and mentioned the school's name in the ps. if i don't get in, i realize i can apply to other schools. but what am i to do about mentioning the school's name specifically in the PS? can i call amcas and ask to change it? or am i fcuked?

thanks for your time, folks
I had a similar situation, but with a LOR. The person writing my LOR said that I "would be an excellent candidate at UT Houston" or something along those lines. One of my interviewers told me this at one of my later interviews, and I was not interviewing at UT Houston at the time. :scared: . He said the LOR was good though besides that. BTW, I'll be attending UT Houston in the fall so I?m not sure if it helped me or hurt me.

Just pray that you get into mercer and that the other schools skim over your PS. Did you happen to write the schools name at the end/beginning or in the middle? If you ended the PS with something like "...and I would like to continue my studies at Mercer.." then the adcom will definitely notice. If it is in the middle somewhere, then I am sure that they will look it over.

I had a similar problem but not of that magnitude. I had a grammatical error that resulted from me cutting and pasting my PS from Word. I called AMCAS and they flat out said NO. I called the schools to explain what happened and they told me that they filter the essays for formatting errors that result from cutting and pasting. I don't know if they were lying to me to make me feel better.

I guess I'll be the first one to say that I don't think this is such a big deal. These schools will all know that you applied EDP anyway. Every school knows that they are not the first choice for every applicant (well, almost every school). This sort of thing happens and will be noticed, no doubt. The reader will go "hmm" and then three seconds later forget about it. Moreover, I feel that only the interviewers actually read the PS. At most schools, after the interview, the interviewer either take your side (or doesn't) in person during a meeting of the ADCOM or submits a written evaluation which is reviewed by the ADCOM. In either case, the ADCOM would actually have to be TOLD by the interviewer that your PS contained this sort of language - and then even THEY would have to hold it against you, which I doubt they would.

My advice is to try to put it behind you.

Judd