Uh oh....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MahlerROCKS said:
Not to burst your bubble, but if you can only get a 3.2 at a cc, I wouldn't bank on being able to raise your gpa

YOUCH! though i don't have any experience with cc and their reflection on adcoms, i don't see a problem with it. as others have said, keep on crankin'. all previous transcripts are required by adcoms, and i would strongly discourage lying or trying to avoid it. take advantage of the opportunity to show how you have matured.

the premed community (and med...but most of them mature by this point) has the tendency to be harsh and, i think, extremely narrow-minded. they say hindsight is always 20/20, and it sounds like you realize the mistakes you made. be prepared to give a good explanation as well as an upward trend in gpa and you will make it far.

Members don't see this ad.

MahlerROCKS said:
Not to burst your bubble, but if you can only get a 3.2 at a cc, I wouldn't bank on being able to raise your gpa

Wow. Your an a**.

To the op: keep on working hard and be honest about your past. If you do that you should be fine. Also talk to the university you dropped out of. Im not entirely familiar with the process but ive heard that sometimes you can get academic records expunged if you withdrew depending on the circumstances. Just a thought, so dont take my advice as absolute fact, but maybe someone else knows more about that.

univscience said:
YOUCH! though i don't have any experience with cc and their reflection on adcoms, i don't see a problem with it. as others have said, keep on crankin'. all previous transcripts are required by adcoms, and i would strongly discourage lying or trying to avoid it. take advantage of the opportunity to show how you have matured.

the premed community (and med...but most of them mature by this point) has the tendency to be harsh and, i think, extremely narrow-minded. they say hindsight is always 20/20, and it sounds like you realize the mistakes you made. be prepared to give a good explanation as well as an upward trend in gpa and you will make it far.

I don't think anyone's trying to be mean. (Nor is anyone trying to be particularly nice, either, but I digress. :smuggrin: ) It's just that a 3.2 is well below the average GPA of accepted students at US medical schools, and below many of the automatic cutoff points schools use to screen applicants. It's not impossible, of course, but with that GPA one faces a steep uphill climb to gain admission. Especially with a number of Fs lurking in the background that have yet to be factored in; remember that the 3.2 is the OP's GPA only including his most recent college work.

I have no problem with CCs, but IME they are considerably easier than 4-year schools. Anyone and everyone can make excuses up the wazoo for their GPA, but the fact remains: if the best one can do is a 3.2 at a CC, adcoms will be hard-pressed to believe he can handle the rigors of a medical school curriculum. If the OP does show an upward trend, and perhaps adds in some A's in upper-level sciences at a 4-year school, it's certainly not out of the question for him to gain admission. He just has a very tough road ahead of him, and patting him on the back and telling him it's okay dearie isn't going to be much help.