UHS 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Okie Sooner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You may be able to add a couple of students from Oklahoma to the class of 2004!!! I was accepted in October and my roomate, through college, was accepted in December. We both have visited several other schools and UHS has been one of the better visits. My wife and I were very impressed with the spouse program. Are there any other 2004 students that are married with their wife anxiously awaiting the spouse program? If so email me ASAP!!

Members don't see this ad.

Please tell me about the spouse program at UHSCOM. I've been accepted there and at two other schools. My wife favors Kansas City but I feel that Kirksville has a stronger program. Also UHS is moving to a new curriculum and has not yet finalized the course of study which leaves me a little uneasy. Tell me what impressed you about UHS over other schools you have visited and why you would choose it.

Thanks and congrats on your acceptance.

I can't tell you about the curriculum, but I've heard it is going to be pretty cool. All the teachers are working real hard on it (they have been for awhile now.) I'm sure if you call the school, (800) 234-4UHS, they will connect you to someone who knows some details about the new curriculum. My understanding is that it will be more problem-based. Their current curriculum is real challenging and I have no doubts the new one will be even better..unfortunately I'm stuck in the old one next year too. I have heard that the new curriculum will involve less class time, which is a good thing since our days now are typically 8-4:30 or later almost every day. WE get an early day on Fridays. On a personal note, my wife loves KC. She found a job before we even moved here and we love it. If you have any questions about it, I'll be happy to help if I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Researcher,

The new curriculum at UHS is going to by kind of a mix of problem based and systems based. They would approach a certain problem like Congestive Heart Failure and teach you all the anatomy, physio, biochem, Pharmacology, ect. that comes into play. I was told that there will be case examples worked into the mix too. What they are striving to do is address medicine with a much more clinical approach starting off in the first year. I am a second year student, and the only clinical experience we got last year was with our physical diagnosis classes and all the opportunities that the student clubs had to offer. I would suggest that you call the school if you have more questions, they will be very happy to answer them, and probably better than I could.

Hey guys,
I will be interviewing at UHS this friday and I was curious if there is anything special that I should know before I head over there this week?

And one more thing for the Oklahoma students that will be attending UHS next fall, I was just curious if you had applied to OSU-COM? Is there any particular reason for you not attending OSU-COM and choosing UHS?? I interviewed at OSU-COM about two weeks ago and still waiting for a reply.

paq

I interviewed with OSUCOM on the 18th and I am still waiting for a response. If I am accepted it will a tough decision between UHS and OSU.

The interview process is completely different and probably more professional at UHS. It starts off with videotape and a speaker. Next you tour the campus. During the tour you will get to witness OMT. The instructor will take someone from the group and demonstrate. You then will have lunch and wait then wait in a lounge for the interview. The interview consisted of two people asking questions at the same time. I prefer this to the way OSU chose to interview with two separate interviews with one individual. This caused me to repeat the same thing. You may be asked scenario type questions during your interview at UHS. My question was a pretty tough one, but I managed - with a short prayer before my response. I also feel they are looking for a more all around individual whose goals are focused to help others and not self-righteousness.

If you are married I suggest you take your spouse. The spouse group will meet with the two of you the day before and introduce your wife to the campus and to the tightly nit spouse group.

Make sure you visit the Plaza area and eat at the ?CheeseCake Factory? before you leave. The both of you can share the same meal, due to the _"Huge portions" and make sure you try the cheesecake.

Write back and tell how you compared your experience between OSU and UHS. To me UHS is more traditional and maybe a better school. My dilemma is that I am from Oklahoma so it would be a great deal cheaper to attend OSU and I would also prefer the class size. I feel that OSU tries to compete with OU so much that they may overlook the necessary qualities of being an osteopathic physician. I have also interviewed with OU, which is an allopathic school, but I will not attend there because I am committed to Osteopathy. I just wanted to be able to say I turned it down. Good luck and if you have any questions about UHS email me and I will be happy to answers them.

Phillipians 4:13

[This message has been edited by Okie Sooner (edited 01-31-2000).]