UHS/COM interviews for August MCAT takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaulB

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who sat for the August MCAT been invited to UHS/COM for an interview?

Just getting a bit nervous.

Paul

Members don't see this ad.

...or for that matter, has ANYONE that took the August MCAT (first time) received an interview offer ANYWHERE???

Yes, not me but a girl I met at my AZCOM interview. She took the Aug MCAT and got two interview offers before they even received her score. The AZCOM interview was on Oct. 20 her other interview was very soon following that.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have already taken the MCAT, and take the August MCAT (thus your second MCAT) AND get your secondaries in early (July/early August), you should hear from schools, regardless of the August MCAT. If you are taking the MCAT for the first time in August the school will receive your scores in mid Oct.by then most schools have close to 2000 applications so the process takes a lot longer. All is indicative of when your secondary application was received. Don't give up. Keep a positive outlook. You may need to apply next year if you do not get accepted, but do not fret.

Recipe for success: Send AACOMAS your transcripts by March/April. Make sure your letters from your pre-med advisor are no more than 2 years old, you may need to re-interview w/the committee to have them see your dedication to pursuing a career in medicine. Start volunteering now to get really good DO letters that give a personal insight into your desire for Osteopathic medicine. Have the DO write the letter by June 15th and hold it. As soon as you start receiving secondaries put all other projects on HOLD. Have the DO send the letter to the schools. I actually joined a DO state organization (see AOA professional page for listings) and volunteered with several members (this gave me a strong DO letter). Fill out the secondaries with the schools mission statement in mind and how you can be their best candidate. Take no more than 6 days to complete the secondary (this impresses schools). Make sure to
call AACOMAS June 5th to make sure they HAVE your application,
transcripts, and check. (send a cashiers check it will process your application
much faster as it takes less time to process).

It is a long process and it is difficult to get in the first try especially when you take the August MCAT.

I hope this helps
Diane

Hey Paul, don't sweat it. UHS is strange in that they like to save openings so that people that interview as late as May for that fall'entering class have a chance at getting in. Lots of school's 'rolling admission' policies end up being completely full by Jan. or Feb and most times miss out on some highly qualified applicants (these people just took their sweet time that's all, belive me, I write from experience
smile.gif
Anyway, UHS has (I'm pretty sure) the largest entering classes of all the DO schools (239 in my class), so there are plenty of chances for you to get a slot, especially with you having your materials in so early.
Best of luck with everything and if you have any questions let me know. [email protected].

Al

[This message has been edited by Allison (edited 11-27-98).]

Just a note to all you UHS applicants. Have you considered letting the military pay for your medical education? It's a great deal, but if you want in, (especially for expensive private schools like this one
smile.gif
, start applying NOW. If you have everything taken care of before you get accepted to school, all you have to do is send them a copy of your acceptance letter and that's that...hassle is over. Just thought I would share, let me know if anyone has any questions.

Al

[This message has been edited by Allison (edited 11-27-98).]