UHS-COM or DMU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnyOne

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those of you who have experience with the pros and cons of these two schools, which one do you think does a better job training doctors? Why?

I'm really seeking candid information, and if you have a thought but wish it to be confidential, please e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As a UHS student, I will attest to the quality of our education by saying this. I have only been on rotations for two months, and I have been keeping up very well with third years from other schools who have been on rotations a few months longer than I. I have even made good impressions on some fourth years and interns, and I think my UHS education helped me to do so. So I would tell you that UHS does a very good job in training us to be doctors.

As for DMU, all I can say is that anyone I know who interviewed there has been thoroughly impressed with their visit. Personally, I have never been to the campus, but I trust the people who told me it seems like they have a great program.

As for getting "candid", I will only say this. I'm pretty sure that DMU isn't perfect, and I know for a fact that UHS isn't perfect. Every school has its faults. To me, getting accepted to medical school is an opportunity, and it is up to you to make the most of that opportunity, wherever you decide to attend. I think you will have the final say in what kind of doctor you become, not your school.

However, if all you're really looking for is "dirt" on UHS, I'm afraid you won't get that from me. Sorry.

Wow! I'm impressed. That was a great post!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Evil

Where are you doing your rotations at? There has been some talk on this board before about a lack of quality in third year rotations at UHS (the same at DMU to be fair). What's your opinion about that?

Thanks for your thoughts,
mj

Actually, no, I'm not looking for dirt, just honest input. Your positive comments are appreciated. I would love to hear more. You are correct also that medical students likely get from their education what they invest in effort. However, I see nothing wrong with gathering as much information as possible from those with experience, and if this happens to be something that an individual doesn't want to share with the entire free world, good or bad, I want them to know that i welcome it privately. The whole purpose of this forum is for individuals in our community to help one another, and I'm sorry if you interpreted my request for such facts as "digging for dirt".

Hi,
I am a UHSer, and I like it. I think that the teachers are excellent, and most of us are happy. (Although tired of school) I, like Dr Evil, have only heard good things about DMU. I am not sure of the rotation sites, but I don't hear any huge complaints. Anyway you go is a good choice. Go where you feel comfortable. I turned down other DO and MD schools to come here because it just felt right. I am friends with an ortho resident and he thought the rotations were fine. Just an opinion.

Hello all! I thought I would throw a word in for DMU. As a first year, I'm only just getting my feet wet in the school. There are positives and negatives but most of my classmates (and 2nd yrs on) seem happy with where they are. I have heard nothing but praise for UHS from students and professors at DMU. If there is any complaint about DMU, some people aren't happy with how our rotations are set up b/c it more dependent on the student to arrange them (that could be the 4th year more so than 3rd year rotations). Both schools have strong OMM programs if that peaks your interest and both schools are doing OMM research from what I understand. I have noticed that students don't really seem interested in comparing their program with thate of other schools. Most will tell you that during your visit and interview, you get a feeling. You like the place or you don't and one school seems to fit more than any other. Good luck!

Oh Sunny one,

I don't think you can go wrong with either program. I think it will come down to your personal preference.

Kansas City- the New York of the midwest and Arthur Bryant's BBQ to die for down the street...I would live next door, if I could.

Des Moines- big city with a small town feeling. Pretty quiet, it's a family place. There is a cafe near the school that is very religous about their coffee...very key.

Either way...yer probably going to spend most of the time in the library your first year. I would add comfortable study hall chairs to your criteria. When you are in super study mode you won't want to mess around.

Good luck on both interviews.

-dieselkid

PS. We have adjustable lumbar support chairs at DMU in our lecture halls, so comfy. Hee hee.

:cool:

I absolutely LOVE DMU!! I'm a first year, and so far everything is awesome. They have great profs that go any distance to help you understand and succeed in your courses. Des Moines is a large town, but you wont see much of anything regardless of where you decide to go to school. Since I've been to school, all I know is the library and my apt. Havent had a chance to get out much, but I will when I get a break. People at DMU are so friendly and eager to get to know you and give you advice, old textbooks, test, labcoats, etc. After my first day at DMU, 2nd yr students were already offering me anything that I needed and they have. There is nothing that I dont like about DMU, except the gym is smaller than an elementry school gym, but it's functional. I also was posed with the option of DMU vs UHS. I chose DMU b/c it's a little bit closer to home.