UHS Interview Tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctortobee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI all!

I have an interview at UHS on October 7th. Any tips for me? This will be my first interview so bring em' on! So far, I'm not really nervous...just very excited. Honestly, I didn't expect an interview with my low, horrible MCAT. Obviously this is a school that looks past the numbers.

I have my interview outfit already planned...In fact, it's one of my FAVORITE suits. It's a black skirt suit (the skirt hits the middle of my knee, so it's an appropriate length :oops:)) with a longish jacket (a.ka. it covers my butt) with black panty hose and sensible black shoes. Oh and there's a powder blue to charcol gray varagated shell that goes under the jacket.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Doctortobee,
Congrats on getting the interview! :clap:
Those that are offered an interview are through the most difficult part of the interview process. In fact, UHS accepts about 90% of those that are interviewed. So, relax and take a good look at the school/program. The interview group was very large, in fact the largest that I had ever seen or heard of. I think there were like 20-30 people in my interview group. Their reasoning is that they want you to get to know your future classmates in the group. It was a panel interview and it was pretty relaxed. Some of the questions that they asked me were: Why osteopathic medicine? What do you see yourself doing 20 years from now? What do you do in order to relieve stress? What is your opinion about stem cell research and human cloning? How would you deal with a patient that is terminally ill and wants to die? An adolescent girl comes to your clinic and wants contraceptives. How do you deal with this? For some reason, they gave me alot of situational questions, but I heard that for some of the interview, this was not the case. Be sure to ask the interviewers questions also, particularly about the new curriculum. I think that the school's pretty confident about it especially since the first class to go through the curriculum did very well on the comlex (97%). Ok, hope that this helps you. Again, just relax, answer truthfully, and enjoy the day.

Doctortobe--

I have sent you an email that I typed up for interested UHS applicants. Hope it helps. I definitely agree with Old Yeller on all of his advice. It's your chance to look at the school and see if it's the place for you. Enjoy the day!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone!!!!!!

For those of you who interviewed today (Sept. 23)....how did it go? Tell us all about it. Remember that you can expect word at the end of this week, early next week at the latest probably.

I saw your group on campus, but unfortunately had too full of a day to come find you individually.

Doesn't it feel great to have it over?

Yeah I would love to know how the interviews were!

i took the interview last year...it was kinda a panel interview...it was two profs..and myself in one of their office...very relax...we ended talking about nice places to live and traffic and things like that..just know your application and prepare to answer things about yourself...it's a nice schoool...just enjoy the experience...and have fun...the profs just want to know who you are...and again you've made it this far...congrats.
always,

I have an interview the 14th! Just wondering-I've heard that they tend to accept ~90% of those interviewed. Does anyone know if they waitlist a lot of people first before accepting? Thanks!

Hey everybody,
I interviewed on the 23rd, and it went terrific!! The day was so relaxed that by the time of the interview, I wasn't nervous anymore. My interviewers were Dr. Agee(alumn) and Dr. McWhorter(faculty sorry if I spelled his name wrong). They were great and Dr. McWhorter and I really hit it off, as a matter of fact the only questions they asked, were: Why DO? What criteria will I use if I get into all the schools I applied? what will I do if I don't get in? and what kind of doctor do I think I will be? I pretty much made sure that I kept the interview in my court by introducing new aspects about myself that would make them want to ask about my personal life and not those stupid Q's like what would you do if...? I am really excited about the school, and look forward to hearing from them. Good luck!!!

Vanessa

Hey Vanessa,

I had the same interviewers as you did! (I interviewed on the 25th). The prof and the doctor were so nice and laid back. I got the same questions that you did and they really made me feel comfortable. Did they tell you when you will hear by? Dr. McWhorter told me Oct 4th.

To all those interviewing at UHS, it is a pretty relaxed day. Most of the people who were in my interview group had good and laid back interviews. Some applicants got hit with ethical questions and hypothetical situations, but a lot did not. If any of you have Dr. McWhorter, you will get ONLY "get to know you" questions.

Have fun with the day and try not to worry too much! ;)

I was so glad to come back here and read that you'd had such good experiences at your interviews! Dr. McWhorter was our first section director and he is a definitely a great professor and person. He made the transition to medical school a very smooth one. We were very lucky!

Let us know what you find out. I'm going to go keep studying for our Foundations of Medicine Section Final.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.... those were the good old days. I remember when the nerves were jumpy and the gut a little queasy. Im a graduating 4th year from UHS and let me toss in my piece of advice. The interview really is overrated. I know there is nothing I can say to convince you to relax, but in all reality they just want to make sure youre not some axe killer. I had a discussion with one of the professors who is at the university now about 2 years ago. He and I had become somewhat close in that we did research together and he played on my basketball team. A mentor you might say. He told me of all the interviews that he had done, he could count on both hands the number he had recommended not to be accepted. It is cliche how we hear that "if you get an interview, youre in". Ordinarily I shun cliche but in this case, it really has some merit to it (unless of course you really are an axe killer).
So bottom line....Relax. Nothing I say will be able to convince you, but hopefully something i have said has given some insight.
BTW, get used to that feeling in the pit of your stomach. Im interviewing starting next month for residency. It never goes away!!

Any question for an old man (at least in medical school terms)? Ask away, Ill try to check this thread from time to time.

Thank you everyone!!! I'm really looking forward to this interview!!

Quick question....Are you given any type of information packet that you have to lug around all day?

You are given two packets to lug around, not just one. ;) UHS really likes to provide their applicants with info. But it's really useful information! One packet is about financial aid stuff and the other packet is filled with brochures about kansas city and what there is to do there. Good luck at the interview!