UHS students -- Is this true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone on PR posted this, and it was never really validated one way or another. Any opinions?

Thanks,

mj

"I was also accepted at UHS, and one of the main complaints that I had with that school pertained to their rotation system. Namely, you had to find some of your own, and you weren't guaranteed to be anywhere near your home for several months at a time. Mind you, they produce fine doctors. It's just a real pain to have to look for--and drive a long distance to--your rotations."

Members don't see this ad.

You have definately misunderstood or been mislead by someone elses comments. UHS has a list of roughly 25 locations that you can pick from to do your rotations. It is true that if you are from anywhere out west, there is a very slim chance of getting to go somewhere near home, the only rotation sites out west are in Mesa, AZ, Tuscon, AZ, somewhere in Utah, and possilby Denver, CO (sometime in the future although it wasn't offered for the class of 2002). A majority of the sites are in Missouri, Michigan,Ohio, Florida, and the North East. Some of the strongest rotation sites are in Michigan in my personal oppinion, but several of my classmates are very happy going to the sites they have chosen elsewhere. Once you are assigned to a site, I believe the DME of that area is responsible for setting up your rotations. Currently the policey is that we have to do all our core rotations at that site in our 3rd year, with the option of setting up some of our own elective rotations elsewhere in our 4th year. However if you don't want to set up any of your rotations and want the school to set up your electives at your core site, they said that they would do this (even though I think if anyone actually chose to let the DME make all their electives for them they would be making a huge mistake, you need to see other hospitals before you interview for interships and residencies).

If you want to know if UHS has a rotation somewhere near your home, just call them and ask, or ask them for a list of their current rotation sites. Just keep in mind that they do change a little bit from year to year.

Hope this helped.

I am a 4th year at UHS-COM and I am finishing my very last rotation
biggrin.gif

I chose to go to to MidAmerica for my core rotation (i.e. third year required rotations: IM, PED, Surg, Ped, OB/Gyn, Fam Med, Psych, and ER). Although we chose the region there was lottery system for the actual hospitals within each region. We had a wish list for the hospitals we wanted and UHS used this list in assigning our core rotations. After you are assigned a hospital or group of hospitals within a region, UHS will set up and coordinate all of your core rotations. You will not have a choice in this process?UHS does it for you. I was assigned to the Michigan group (POH, Henry Ford, St. Joseph, BiCounty, Botsford, Oakland, and Riverside).. I did get couple of my cores changed to other affiliates but it was not an easy process to do this. For my fourth year, I had three core rotations (psych, ER, and Rural) and the rest were all elective rotations. I set up my own elective rotations and I should tell you that UHS was most helpful in getting my paperwork to the elective sites in a very timely manner. The rotation office was also excellent in assisting me in any way they could during my residency/ERAS process. When we started third year there were some concerns about our rotations being disorganized but I can tell you that school has done really well in making our rotations organized and coordinated. You will now have to take shelf exams at the end of each of your core rotations. I think this is great in making you ready for COMLEX II. If you are interested in Michigan for your core rotations you can email me and I will tell you which hospitals to include in wish list.

UHS now assignes most people to a core hospital rather than a core region. For instance if you want to go to MI, or OH, then you would pick a particular hospital like Botsford, Pontiac, or Genesys (and others) as a choice rather than just selecting to go to the Mid-America region. This may be considered a downfall to some who want to do cores at several hospitals, but may be a positive thing for others who do not wish to drive all over a city to do their rotations.
Keep in mind that things are constantly changing at UHS as they try to improve their clinical rotations site choices, and they could be different whey the class of 2003 starts their rotations a year from now.