UHS vs DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmaha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have currently been accepted at UHS and DMU and I am having a difficult time deciding between the two! I find both programs equally impressive, the only thing I am hesitant about with UHS is the new curriculum, which sounds great, although I am not sure I want to be only the second class to go through this curriculum. One thing I am skeptical about with DMU are the 3rd and 4th years, where the rotations seem a little unstructured. If anyone else has had to choose between the two I'd love to hear your imput, and what other factors, if any, influenced your decision!

Thanks
kmaha

Members don't see this ad.

Not much difference between the two schools. UHS has more hospital affiliations but this is realy a sham. Ask the school to provide a list of clinical faculty! I graduated from DMU, the first two years were excellent and are improving. The second two years totally sucked and I would recomend attending another school. The thing is UHS, I am sad to say, has the same strategy for its clinical years as DMU. If you decide to attend UHS please email this to the dean of DMU. I figure they owe me about 40,000 in tuition. Maybe I can deswade a few people and get their attention.

kmaha
Just my two cents, since I just graduated from DMU in June 2000. First let me ask you a question. If you were to do a rotation in cardiology, would you like the opportunity to do the best cardiology rotation out there? The answer, obviously, is yes!! I also was skeptical about the last two years of my medical education until I realized that I could do rotations anywhere in the US(case western, albert einstein, OHSU, etc)in rotations that were considered excellent for teaching. Also, wouldn't it be nice to rotate at an institution you are interested in doing your residency at, months before interviews start! You can with the way the last two years are structured. Here's another question....if you are interested in pediatrics, wouldn't it be nice to start your pediatric education before internship/residency (giving you an edge in educational experience-NICU, PEDS ER, etc)or would you rather go to a school that has a curriculum all set up with few elective choices. Let me tell you....I liked the fact that I could tailor my own education, rather than having others tailor it for me. I did trauma at one of the best trauma centers on the east coast, the best pediatrics rotation possible,.....get the idea, and I got into a great residency, all because I had the opportunity to choose what rotations I did and where to do them. If I had a complaint about DMU, it would be that I felt the school had very little scholastic interest in us while we were out on rotations. I would have prefered to have tests after ob/gyn, peds, IM, etc. Then I would have felt my money would have been earned by the school. I believe that this problem is being changed, but only students at the school can answer that. I see the last two years education at DMU as a strength, not a weakness. Yes, it can be a pain having to set up the rotations. Yes it can be a pain having to move, but that can be prevented by getting to a large city. At the end of the day, you have had the opportunity to make it the best education you can. Other interns in my class from other schools had very few electives, no time off for boards, and although they felt their education was good, they would have liked more elective time like me. Kent may feel that he is owed money for his last two years of education, and that is his opinion. I have always said that medical school is what you make out of it. DMU offers you the opportunity to make your own education and it got me offers from two great ER residencies because I had been given that opportunity. Again, just my two cents!