UHS vs. KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaulB

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there had to choose between UHS and KCOM? I love both schools and would be extremely interested in your reasons for choosing one over the other. Thanks!

Paul
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

PaulB,

I went last spring as a guest at one of UHS's interview days. (I did not interview I just participated in all of the activities except the interview.) This is something that I strongly recomend. When I left that day I was really interested in the school and was really hoping to go there. Later on, over spring break, I went and visited at KCOM. I fell in love with KCOM and the experience I had in the town over the two day period I had there. During the summer I participated in a premed primary care summer mentor program and ended up getting to do some work with a few graduates from UHS that were in their residency. They said that they would not recomend UHS from their experience because they felt that the class size was getting to big for the faculty and facilities. UHS may have changed a lot since then I don't know. I do know a few people who are either going there and they like it. I chose KCOM because I feel a lot more comfortable in a small town than I did in Kansas City. UHS would have been a lot more convenient since I am from Kansas and it is a lot closer to home but KCOM is the best school for me. Good Luck in your searching.

Carrie

I've heard some bad things about where you get placed for clinicals at UHS. (or if you get placed at all.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical placement at UHS is not a problem (no one is left to fend for themselves).
However, because of the increasing class size, some of us will not get our "site
of choice". Our rotation sites include Kansas City, various locations in Kansas
and Missouri, Florida, Colorado, NJ/NY, Texas, Ohio, Penn., and Michigan. The
biggest problem involves those of us that wish to stay in KC. We currently have
50 positions, but 80 students have indicated that they want to stay here (our class
size is 208). Our administration has stated that they are actively trying to
increase the number of KC positions, but I doubt that will happen in time for my
class (2001). The positions will be distributed by lottery (next fri.). Also, it
goes without saying that some sites are better than others, but after doing a little
research I'm comfortable with both my 2nd and 3rd choices. Finally, except for the
parking problem (which really isn't a problem if you come to class on time), I've
been very satisfied with my education so far.

Gotta agree with Deb. As a first year student, class size only becomes a problem in Histology, when computers are desperately needed by all. Other than that you get used to it. Classes also have that "thinning out" quality to them, people either drop out or go only to selected classes. That is just life in med school. UHS is well aware of student needs and adapt to them when appropriate. Personally, I wish the school itself had a few more thousand people on campus (along with a larger campus) so there were more people to meet. Even in a class of 230, you wish you could meet different people.
By the way, don't worry about rotations, you aren't even in school yet...calm down doc.

peace

e

Well, I was just interviewed at UHS and was most impressed---that translates to: I'd go there, no problem! But, I just got notified that KCOM wants to interview me. I have to admit, there is considerable mystique in studying where DO started. Any feedback would be most welcome!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'

Dave,
Both are excellent schools, and KCOM certainly has the added bonus of being the roots of osteopathy. When you interview there you will be greeted by the first Osteopathic school and the birthplace of Still right there in the lobby. Quite unique and fascinating. I was accepted to KCOM but chose UHS, so that tells which I preferred, but you have to go with your gut feeling after you interview. Keep in mind though that if your wife works, she will have a much easier time finding a job in Kansas City than in Kirksville (generally speaking).