UHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peachy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking example fom the COMP people I thought we should start a UHS page. I sent in my money last week, and I just wanted to know of other people who chose the school -- it would be great to know others before we actually get there.
Olga

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Olga it's Nathan from your interview group(s). I decided on UHS and I believe that Adam did too. I can't wait to get there. I will e-mail you soon.

hey Nathan and Olga, its Adam from the interview circuit...So far its UHS for me too, feel free to drop me a line. [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Nathan and Adam,
I am glad that we all decided on UHS. When are you guys thinking of going down there? I was planning on going during spring break to find a place to live and such...I cant wait. By the way, do they have a summer program (like PCOM had a biochem thing)?

Hey Natan and Adam,

It's Robert from your interview group at UHS and Touro. I got into UHS as well, and the school's awesome. But I've decided to go to COMP since I live only minutes away from the school. Congrats to you guys both. Hopefully we'll run into each other in the future during rotations or residency. Good luck at UHS.

Hi Guys!
I'm not from your interview group, but I'm really excited about meeting you next fall. Aren't you stoked to finally know where you're going to be moving? Can't say I'm too thrilled about the weather prospects, but Kansas City seems like a cute and quiet place to set up camp for a few years. Hmmm... not too much else to say right now, but just keep us all posted if you hear any interesting tidbits about the school or the city. Bye for now.
-Kate

Hey,

Olga and Adam, can't wait to see you guys. I'm headed out there probably the second week of March to look for an apartment. I've been serching the internet (www.aptsforrent.com) for some cool places. unfortunately I have no idea what the surrounding areas are like so I don't know where to look. I'm talking with a few UHS 1st years and they are gonna let me know where to look.

Robert, congrats on your acceptance. Best of luck. I look forward to running into you in the future.

Everyone and Cheekster: Got any good leads on scholarship type of info? Also, Does anybody understand exactly how the rotations schedule works as far as choosing and changing. Any input would be helpful.

Take care.

NATHAN

hey all its Adam...
Olga and Kate, I just got accepted to PCOM today and Im curious how you decided UHS over PCOM? I was totally set, buy now have some more thinking to do...any help would be rad. Happy Holidays!! Graci.

Hey Adam,
I was accepted to PCOM also just recently, and actually my deposit is due on the 28th. I am not sure what to do still...I am leaning towards UHS for several reasons: 1)The competition is not as high at UHS (there are 5 medical schools in Philadelphia, so rotations and residencies are going to be extremelly competitive) 2)I am not sure that I want to live in such a huge city and 3)i felt more comfortable at UHS. On the other hand, I want to practice ER medicine in an inner city, and Philadelphia is the better choice for that...Thus I am still not sure and will probably send my deposit to both and decide by March. Let me know what you are thinking about the two, feel free to email me ([email protected])
-Olga

Hey Olga and Adam

I was accepted to PCOM and made the UHS decision even though I really liked PCOM. I picked UHS for several reasons:
1. I liked the anatomy lab at UHS much more and the library is also better in my opinion. In addition, there were computers for the internet and medical databases everywhere at UHS and OMM tables everywhere.

2. Although the OMM room at PCOM was better, I have asked around and got the low down from a few people that say that PCOM's OMM program is pretty weak...therefore I decided against go sitting in a nice room and learn less than I would in a more than adequate place learning a lot (of course, OMM was important in my decision and may not be that important for you).

3. Then there is the intangible factor of the gut feeling. PCOM had an incredibly positive feeling for me (incidentally I had that interview before my UHS interview, however, UHS had such an overwhelming affect on me that I could not see myself going elsewhere. For me I just had to look inside and think back to how I felt at each place. They are both comparable to one another, but for me the choice was easy.

I hope you both make the right decision for yourselves. Let me know. Look forward to hearing from you both.

NATHAN

Olga and Nate,

Thanks for the replies. In my opinion, both schools are great. I did hear the word that there are less hours spent on OMM at PCOM than UHS, but I believe the quality of the instruction is comprable at the two. As with any education, I think what one will get out what one puts in. From talking with students at PCOM, there are lots of OMM opportunities outside of scheduled class time. The discrepancy in this regard was one of my concerns, and on this note I agree with you Nathan.
Olga- You and I seem to be in similar boats. I was not aware that we are able to send in deposits at both schools, is this true? If so, I'm going to do it and give myself a bit of time. I don't know if I truly agree with your statement that residency/rotation will be more competitive at PCOM. Obtaining a residency is competitive regardless. After some consideration, I do think that PCOM has better clinical affiliations, and more established rotations than UHS. I moseyed around the UHS website and it seems that they have relatively few rotations in KC area (even though they have affliations all over the US).But then again, I must go back to my gut, I did get a great feeling at UHS, something which is somewhat intangible. So I am torn, logic seems to tell me that PCOM is very strong. Emotion points me towards UHS. The debate continues, even though I may be leaning a bit towards PCOM. I'd love to hear your rationale. Happy holidays! Sorry for the long winded reply, attribute that to too much egg nog. Graci.
-Adam

Hey Kate,

I was wondering if you had heard anything about places to live in KC. I've been looking at a few internet resources, but they don't tell you anything about the neighborhoods. I've heard that most students live about 6-7 miles away to the north. Let me know if you hear anything. Thanks.

Hi Everyone,
Hope all of your holidays were fun. Thought I would just check in and reply to a few of your posts. Nathan, my interviewers told me that it is possible to do all rotations in the Kansas City area, but I have also discoverd that rotations are doled out through a lottery system, so my guess is that you have to have a little luck to get all of them close to home. As far as scholarships go, I must admit that I haven't done enough research yet. I'll let you know if I find anything of interest. I agree that it's going to be hard to research apartment without knowing anything about the areas in question. My father-in-law knows someone who lives over there, and he says he'll ask him which places are good possiblities, so I'll pass that on when I hear from him. Adam, as far as PCOM goes, I decided not to send back my secondary. A few factors went into that decision, but the biggest was the distance from my family, which is all here in California. Sorry I can't be much help there. I'm sure you'll pick the school that's best for you. Everyone else, take it easy, and have a great week!

Being a third year at UHS, I may offer some advice.
Regarding places to live...yeah, some people live in North KC, but I found it dull and lacking in neighborhoods. And, it was rather far from the typical watering holes and gathering places that we ended up (velvet dog, lava room, westport, plaza etc). I chose to live in Westport my first year and Brookside my second. Brookside was by far the better of the two, and was in a GREAT area just south of the plaza, near UMKC.

Regarding your core rotations: well, UHS changes policies like they change socks, so who knows what will be in store for you guys. From what I understand, the rotations in KC aren't the strongest regarding didactics and are lacking in hospital experience (alot of IM is done in clinics vs. hospitals). Plus MCI is not a true academic hospital, it has only a year of experience with handling students.
My advice would be to head out of town for years 3 and 4 to areas where students, interns, residents, and didactics are strong. I am in St. Louis, and I am trying to take advantage of the hospitals around here and working with St. Louis University students and seeing what there didactics are like is helpful.

Although I agree with many of the things EWAGNER mentions in his post, I want to put in a good word for the rotations in KC.

I have been very happy, so far, with my rotations in KC. The initial schedule assigned to me didn't thrill me much, as indeed there was an excess of clinic vs. hospital time. The school was willing to work with me on that and my "new and improved" schedule has been great. Some people actually prefer a lot of clinic/office rotations at first, but I wasn't one of them.

I talked to several of my classmates who are (or already have) rotating through MCI and there is LOTS of didactics, not to mention a very busy clinic+inpatient service. There are some other great rotations sites in KC, which are avaliable to UHS students, such as Children's Mercy, St.Lukes, Trinity, Baptist, Truman, and two VA hospitals. St Louis is an excellent option if one wants to stay in MO but doesn't like KC. So are Columbia and Springfield.

As you can see, opinions differ...I was only presenting the opinions offered by many fourth year students that I know, and some of my friends still in KC. Personally, I enjoy daily didactics, pimp sessions, and busy hospitals with many residents. Good luck in your endeavors, and I am sure your paths will lead to a good education.

Oh yes, the notorious EWAGNER enlightning us with his 2 cents on UHS! Hey Ethan this is Liljoe(you know who I am) just killing time here on the winter break. Hope St.Lewey is treating you well. I agree with Ethan totally on the point about doing your 3rd and 4th years somewhere other than KC.....now if your married with children or can get free housing in KC than this is a different story. If your single move on!!!! I can only speak on the Michigan sites since I up in good ol Detroit(St. John's-Riverview Hosp.) Were an inner city hospital where your in the hospital more than you are out at the clinics. They let you do alot(central lines,etc..) and didadtics are fair-morning and noon report. I think the important thing is to choose a rotation where there are interns and residents because 1) this could be where you do your internship and res. 2)they teach alot. Now there is the argument that there will be a large pecking order at such places but for the most part it's not like that, at least not at an inner city or county hospital. Hope this helps. Oh yea, sometimes I do kick myself for not choosing somewhere fun and warm such as Florida sites. Take care and Happy New Year!

Liljoe 2002

I luv you liljoe! I may go up there next year by the way (for EM). Yeah, I'm killin time in the snow in indy. Happy holidays.