UIC anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxomegss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone interviewed at UIC? I am scheduled for March 8. Any advice on traveling/hotels? Thanks guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

My only advice would be to give yourself a LOT of extra time if you are unfamiliar with the area and/or planning on driving yourself. The school is not very hard to find, but morning traffic is pretty bad.

Good luck, both of my tour guides were accepted with post-february interviews.

Congrats on the interview. I still can't believe that I haven't heard one single thing from UIC. I'm from Chicago, been offered 8 interviews, 2 acceptances..and NOTHING from them :laugh: ...i think that is proof how crazy the whole application cycle is. ah well, no need to care anymore, best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well at least you heard from other schools Shamrock! Thanks and good luck!

Just wondering if anyone interviewed at UIC? I am scheduled for March 8. Any advice on traveling/hotels? Thanks guys :)

hi,
when did they call you to schedule for an interview? can i ask what your stats were? i also applied..but haven't heard anything yet...:(

good luck~

Does anyone have any info on when UIC will release the waitlist rankings? I remember hearing the end of Feb, but I forget.

Thanks

Does anyone have any info on when UIC will release the waitlist rankings? I remember hearing the end of Feb, but I forget.

Thanks

I read somewhere that the committee will meet tomorrow to rank those who are on the waitlist, but I'm not quite sure. When I spoke to Jill a while back, she mentioned we should know our rankings by the end of Feb. or the beginning of March. Sorry if I didn't help much.

Hey Chrono, congrats on the acceptance...I'll see u next semester :) Did you go to UIC? By the way, Megs, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. How far are you from Chicago?

Hey Chrono, congrats on the acceptance...I'll see u next semester :) Did you go to UIC? By the way, Megs, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. How far are you from Chicago?

I'll be seeing you both in the fall. I'm very excited. Also any questions anyone might have would be welcomed. I'm not sure if the board is meeting tomorrow or not, but good luck to everyone. Make sure you keep us all updated.

Hi Purdue, I'm pretty excited too. During the summer, we should all try and get people in our class together for some drinks. I know two other people (both my classmates) who are attending.

Didn't go to UIC for undergrad, but glad to see some more UIC 2011 students on SDN (I feel we are rather underrepresented).

You go to UIC undergrad etan? I'm from the western suburbs, but I don't really know all the in's and out's of living in Chicago. Looking forward to figuring it out though!

I'm up for drinks anytime (I'm sure even more so after the first wave of tests next fall :D ). I don't know anyone going to UIC, but hope to make some new friends in the coming years.

Good luck to all the UIC-hopefuls as well!

Chrono, I'm from the west suburbs too...waaay west (Carpentersville). I'm sure making friends is gonna be easy. The people I know personally are really nice and laid back. When are you planning on moving downtown? I think I'm gonna start looking for apts at the beginning of May.

:) I am from PA, about 8 hours away or so... Don't really know how good my chances are, being an out of stater... Anyone know if I should get a room by the airport or downtown? How easy/accesible is the chicago transportation? Thanks guys! Cannot wait to visit CHICAGO!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow ur all the way from PA? You must have really good stats to have gotten an out of state interview! Congrats. I think you should get a room downtown, it will be alot easier on you the morning of your interview. I will be at school that day (UIC), so if you need any help or have any questions, just let me know.

:) I am from PA, about 8 hours away or so... Don't really know how good my chances are, being an out of stater... Anyone know if I should get a room by the airport or downtown? How easy/accesible is the chicago transportation? Thanks guys! Cannot wait to visit CHICAGO!

Advice, leave super early as traffic going into the city is TERRIBLE!!!! (espeically in the morning)

But make sure you go down Michigan Ave. and pay a visit to Navy Pier :)

Good luck :D

the "el" is the best way to go (unless ur flying into midway in which case you have to go Orange line) Blue line starts at o'hare and can take you down to the medical district. Just be sure to get on the right one as there are 2 to choose from, but it's not hard to figure out and someone at the station will definitely help you if you konw where you're going. this is a good idea...take it from someone who has used chicago public transportation almost everyday for the past 8 years.

I havent heard a thing from UIC yet.. I dont know if it is a good or bad thing at this point.. aarrgghh!!! This is so frustrating!!

danbee, if you don't mind, what are your stats?

Could you please tell me when your apps were sent out by ADDSAS? Mine went out to UIC on Aug 29th. I still haven't heard a thing from them. I know they're behind due to the accreditation visit, but I'm trying to get a feel if they've gotten to my app and don't want me or if they just haven't gotten to me yet. Also, those of you who have been accepted, do you know how many spots are left? Did they tell you when you accepted the position?

has anyone from out of state heard good news from UIC this cycle....or are they sticking to their "66-instate....0-out of state" policy??

Could you please tell me when your apps were sent out by ADDSAS? Mine went out to UIC on Aug 29th. I still haven't heard a thing from them. I know they're behind due to the accreditation visit, but I'm trying to get a feel if they've gotten to my app and don't want me or if they just haven't gotten to me yet. Also, those of you who have been accepted, do you know how many spots are left? Did they tell you when you accepted the position?

My app went out on Aug 4th, I interviewed in october. I asked Ann how many seats were offered/filled when I turned in my deposit. She told me 42 were offered and 30 had sent in deposits. This was in early January, and only applicable to the dec. 1st batch, I know more have gone out, but am not sure of any numbers.

Based on pure speculation, I'd say there are spots left to get. I would recommend calling or emailing about your status so you can get some sort of idea.

Good luck.

When I had my interview, the dental students that were talking to us said that quite a few of their classmates were interviewed and accepted in march. So if you haven't heard anything or haven't been accepted yet, I would say there's still a legit chance. This is just what I've heard and what I've deduced.

Also, did any of you guys/gals go to UIUC? I checked out the UIC facebook group and there were no UIUC students and most of the one's I've talked to have been waitlisted or have been accepted and will be attending SIUE. Just curious...I had a very positive interview and both interviewers made it a point to talk about going to UIUC. I was hoping that would've gotten a foot in the door, haha.

Thanks for the info Chrono1984 & Joe70h8. I'm curious about two things ..... Chrono you said that you interviewed in Oct, I was told that they didn't even start interviewing until after Thanksgiving. How'd you get one so early? And second, did anyone ever actually call the admissions office to get an update? The website says specifically NOT to call for an update and to just watch the AADSAS website. I don't want to tick them off, but I'm dying to know where I stand!! And one more question (ok, so that's 3), Joe when did your app go out, when was your interview and did you get accepted?

When I had my interview, the dental students that were talking to us said that quite a few of their classmates were interviewed and accepted in march. So if you haven't heard anything or haven't been accepted yet, I would say there's still a legit chance. This is just what I've heard and what I've deduced.

Also, did any of you guys/gals go to UIUC? I checked out the UIC facebook group and there were no UIUC students and most of the one's I've talked to have been waitlisted or have been accepted and will be attending SIUE. Just curious...I had a very positive interview and both interviewers made it a point to talk about going to UIUC. I was hoping that would've gotten a foot in the door, haha.

My app went out July 9th, but I retook my DAT in October, so there was some lag time. I didn't interview at UIC until Jan 4th, and was accepted Jan 22. I believe second rounds have been sent out already. However, I haven't spoken to Ann about how many spots have been taken, or how many are still available. Regardless, I also was told by dental students that several of their classmates interviewed and were accepted in March, so don't anyone give up hope.

There is a UIC facebook group? I'm assuming you're talking about the dental school? Is there a link?

My app. went out sometime late august. I interviewed on Nov. 28th and I was waitlisted on Jan 22nd.

Here's the UIC Dental Facebook group. I've been jobless for the last month and a half, so I've WASTED PLENTY of time on the internet. Luckily, I return to work this week:

http://uillinois.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2220359316

Thanks for the info Chrono1984 & Joe70h8. I'm curious about two things ..... Chrono you said that you interviewed in Oct, I was told that they didn't even start interviewing until after Thanksgiving. How'd you get one so early? And second, did anyone ever actually call the admissions office to get an update? The website says specifically NOT to call for an update and to just watch the AADSAS website. I don't want to tick them off, but I'm dying to know where I stand!! And one more question (ok, so that's 3), Joe when did your app go out, when was your interview and did you get accepted?

You must have been misinformed. I interviewed in mid october and I'm pretty sure there was at least one group that interviewed before mine. Yea I suppose they don't want everyone calling for updates, but if you haven't been formally declined, I wouldn't toss in the towel.

Ann is really friendly and fairly punctual with responding to emails. If anything, ask her if/when more interviews are going out or when the committee is meeting again. This will hopefully give you some idea.

Sorry I don't have any better information. Good luck!

XOXO - I would suggest the Marriott on the corner of Harrison and Ashland. Literally 1 block from the school. This way you wouldn't have to fight traffic. Looks like a nice place, I don't know what you're willing to spend, but it would take the stress of traffic off your shoulders. The hotel is also just off the blue line, (runs from ohare) and would simplify travel. Let me know if you have specific questions.

For those looking for places to live, I currently live in a studio and am also looking to move to a one bedroom before school starts. If I find one, I am sure my place would be available, if you don't mind a small place. It is in a great neighborhood and 10 min. walk to D school. I am actually trying to move right next door if the person decides to move out.

I second the idea of getting together sometime this summer for drinks (or shots) ... whatever the preference. lol Congrats to those that got in and good luck to those that are still waiting or have yet to interview.

Rohlcall, I got dibs on ur studio! No seriously, I am looking for a studio close to the school. Keep me posted and let me know, thnx.

Has anyone found out where they're ranked on the waitlist yet?

how easy is it to find a studio near the school? i'm looking for a studio as well. can you find one around 600ish?

I was at UIC today...not for an interview or anything, but b/c I was doing my commissioned at the d-school. I was tempted to walk into the admissions and be like "what's the deal?!"...but no dice. Oh well.

Sorry if I'm overlooking something obvious here, but what does "doing your commissioned" mean?

oh, sorry...i meant "commissioning"...I live in Chicago and am going on the Air Force Scholarship. My recruiter works by UIC and I was sworn in today by an officer at UIC Dental...being sworn in = commissioning. Has nothing to do w/ UIC really...I just decided to mention the fact that it's weird I was sworn into the military at the school 20 minutes from my house, but have yet to hear ANYTHING from

Shamrock,

How did you get an Air Force scholarship when you haven't been accepted yet? I'm considering a Navy scholarship but you can't even apply until you get a letter of acceptance.

Sorry, I just saw that at the bottom of your post you've been accepted to two schools, congrats! What is the AF scholarship like and what's your commitment? What rank do you begin as? O-1 or O-3?

im from out of state.. all the way from the "durrty south" and i just found out i got in today :). i really liked the school and esp the city, but the tuition for out of state is kinda high so im not sure yet. who knows, maybe ill see you guys in the fall.

wow I'm really surprised UIC is taking out-of-staters...I've seen acceptance data from the last 4 years, and they havn't taken anyone outside IL. This year might be different for some reason. Congrats!

wow I'm really surprised UIC is taking out-of-staters...I've seen acceptance data from the last 4 years, and they havn't taken anyone outside IL. This year might be different for some reason. Congrats!

I think they have added some stretch this last year. The website FAQ says they accept approx. 10% non-residents now. Which still is only a meager 6 or 7 spots.

That non-resident tuition is huge though. Tack on the fact that Chicago isn't exactly the cheapest place to live and you got yourself a mountain of debt.

Congrats though twiz, good luck with your decision. Even if I was not a resident, I would have trouble turning this school down.

Congrats though twiz, good luck with your decision. Even if I was not a resident, I would have trouble turning this school down.

Just wondering if you would want to share some pros about the school. I think i heard somewhere that they have problems with the patient pool? I'm still considering all my options so any +'s (and -'s) about UIC would be appreciated.

Even if I was not a resident, I would have trouble turning this school down.

Agree completely. It's a great school all-round with tons of opportunity!

Meanwhile, this thread has been dominating lately. Good to see UIC and all the Chicagoans representing (even the outta-staters!). I'm voting this thread carries its momentum regarding any topics; interviews, acceptances, living arrangements, the city, etc., etc. Keep the ball rolling ya'll. And congrats Twiz, that's pretty awesome we've got a potential derrty souf representer.

Forget drinks downtown, we're all crashing Twiz's place! Never been to Florida hehe...seriously though, are you also debating whether to go to ur state school?

im on the waiting list for UF, but right now its between UIC, u pitt, and buffalo. maybe i shud be hardcore and do the PhD thing so they waive the tuition at UIC? haha

Just wondering if you would want to share some pros about the school. I think i heard somewhere that they have problems with the patient pool? I'm still considering all my options so any +'s (and -'s) about UIC would be appreciated.

I haven't started, nor do I have any numbers to refute what you have heard. But I would find it hard to believe that the only dental school located in a city as enormous as Chicago, would have trouble finding plenty of patients. The clinics seemed pretty full on both of my visits.

Pros for me: Perfect class size. Every specialty represented in the building. Plenty of research opportunities. Patient pool. CHICAGO.

Cons: Clinics need some restoration. Chicago traffic/weather can really suck. Throwing dental school cost out of the way, simply living in the city is pricey.

North Ave. Beach...Summer...gotta love it!

Didn't the county just close several non profit dental centers? I thought I heard something about it. It is the only D school in chicago and the EL stops a 1/2 block from the front entrance. I don't see UIC ever having a problem getting patients.

Here are some of my pros and cons:

Pros: In state tuition ( if out of state, establish residency during first year), large patient pool, good area (within a few blocks), professional sports (bears and bulls), night life, brand new workout facilities, lake in the summer, entertainment, plenty of job opportunities for a spouse, and oh yea, it's CHICAGO!

Cons: older school, most specialty cases will get sent to residents, winter, and winter combined with 40mph wind gusts.

I am sure there are more in each category that I am forgetting, but these are the ones I got off the top of my head. Hope it helps.

professional sports (bears and bulls)

Don't forget about Blackhawk hockey and the Crosstown Classic (Cubs and White Socks baseball)

More Pros: other than the city being incredibly tight, I know this was touched on about the specialties, but UIC also offers a mentor program. Say you're interested in ortho, UIC will hook you up with an orthodontist to allow you to "test the waters." There are tons and tons of research opportunities for all years I believe. Living in the West Loop is several blocks from campus (5 min L ride, or 10 min walk); and the west loop is a really cool area.

More Cons: the weather is obvious in the winter, but if you're used to the cold it shouldn't be a big deal (it'll make you study more in the winter anyway), prices of misc. living expenses and the city life in general.

I'm sure there is more of each, but I think we've all covered the most important. Overall, it's truly an awesome city!

Cons - I've heard it's very hard to get accepted unless you're an in state resident. Their website says that they only take 10% from out of state (they only accept 66 total . . . so go figure) Oh and yes, it is the Midwest so it does get cold in the winter. The weather in general is very sporadic (cold one day, warm the next, ect)

Pros - I don't know the ins and outs of the school since I don't attend. But almost everyone from Chicago or the Chicago land area LOVES it here. And it's a wonderful sports town - Bears, Bulls, Cubs, White Sox.

Pros: In state tuition ( if out of state, establish residency during first year),

Are you sure about that, the establishing residency during first year? They didnt mention that at all during the interview (maybe because I was the only out of stater). But if thats true, then thats awesome!