UIC anyone??

Started by lcallan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yup, same CHS! The admissions counselors are great so emailing them might not be a bad idea. Anyone know somebody who is already there who can give us advice on the programs/recommendations and stuff? Also, does anyone know the tuition and the chances of scholarhsips and stuff?
 
The admission's committee is super nice so prob. sending an email might not be a bad idea. Goodluck guys 🙂

**whoops repeat message. Sorry guys!
 
Alright so here is what I got.

MPH, acceptances and rejections are going out as they process them. Each program is different. For me at least, it is in the final process and so I should hear within a week or two.

DOMERM: MS programs are treated like PhD programs and they take a little longer. Because it is research they need to match student with mentor to make a decision.

In other words, we wait. I however, dont expect to hear until next week earliest.

Good luck folks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright so here is what I got.

MPH, acceptances and rejections are going out as they process them. Each program is different. For me at least, it is in the final process and so I should hear within a week or two.

DOMERM: MS programs are treated like PhD programs and they take a little longer. Because it is research they need to match student with mentor to make a decision.

In other words, we wait. I however, dont expect to hear until next week earliest.

Good luck folks.

Well thanks for checking up on that. Just got to continue playing this waiting game I guess.
 
Recently joined the forum to find other who else got accepted at UIC. I got an e-mail on wednesday about my acceptance into the MPH Community Health Sciences program. SO EXCITED!

I'm from Florida, so if I attend it will be a huge change!
 
Recently joined the forum to find other who else got accepted at UIC. I got an e-mail on wednesday about my acceptance into the MPH Community Health Sciences program. SO EXCITED!

I'm from Florida, so if I attend it will be a huge change!


You are going to love Chicago. Despite the COLD it is such a fun place to live. Good food, interesting people and always lots to do. Congrats on your acceptance.
 
are these recent acceptances for CHS? anyone accepted for HPA at UIC yet?

The CHS acceptances are pretty recent, but I don't think any of us waiting on HPA have heard back yet. At least not according to these forums. Has anyone tried contacting the admissions office for more information?
 
The CHS acceptances are pretty recent, but I don't think any of us waiting on HPA have heard back yet. At least not according to these forums. Has anyone tried contacting the admissions office for more information?

I contacted them about a month ago. They told me decisions would be going out the end of February / beginning of March. I haven't contacted them since then tho.
 
I just got an email acceptance to UIC's MPH HPA program. The email has about 10 attachements, and scholarship information is included in the initial email (wish more schools did this). Good luck to everyone else!
 
Hi Winterfell86....just curious what they listed for scholarship information...haven't gotten my acceptance in the mail yet!
 
I just got an email acceptance to UIC's MPH HPA program. The email has about 10 attachements, and scholarship information is included in the initial email (wish more schools did this). Good luck to everyone else!

Hi Winterfell. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Congrats!!
 
Pillowface - They indicated that I had been awarded a scholarship (albeit a small one) in the body of the acceptance email. One of the attachements was the official scholarship letter informing me about the terms of the scholarship

Here are my stats -
GPA: 3.3
UG Major: Psychology
GRE: V: 165 Q: 161 AW:3.5
Experience: 2 years healthcare improvement research and 1 year coordinating community based public health inititiatives.

Applied (all HPM): UNC MSPH, MN MPH, WI MPA/MPH, Columbia, Harvard (policy), GW (policy), UIC, UMich
Accepted: UNC, MN MPH, WI MPA/MPH, GW, UIC
Rejected: UMich, Columbia
Waiting: Harvard
 
I think I just got accepted to UIC? I applied for the MPH in epi. Didn't receive an email or anything...but online, it says "Admit" in the "Decision" column. I'm scared to start celebrating...it's not "official" for me until I receive an actual decision letter/email, haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I just got accepted to UIC? I applied for the MPH in epi. Didn't receive an email or anything...but online, it says "Admit" in the "Decision" column. I'm scared to start celebrating...it's not "official" for me until I receive an actual decision letter/email, haha.

Actually the web portal is the most accurate measure for acceptance according to Brandon in admissions so commence celebration! Congrats!!

MS peeps: apparently it will be another week at the earliest.
 
Actually the web portal is the most accurate measure for acceptance according to Brandon in admissions so commence celebration! Congrats!!

MS peeps: apparently it will be another week at the earliest.

Oh really? Since the other admits so far have received emails and that the web portal has been last to be updated, there was a doubt in my mind that this wasn't real. But thanks for letting me know, I'm so happy! 😀
 
Hi everyone! To all those admitted...there is also another forum for people who ended up choosing UIC! 🙂
 
The portal still says "referred to college for review" ... People have been getting accepted for a few weeks now. Do you think they're still working through more applications?
 
The portal still says "referred to college for review" ... People have been getting accepted for a few weeks now. Do you think they're still working through more applications?

Hello fellow member of the Official UIC Applicant: Sit-on-your-hands Club!
 
Yeah a few of us have..pretty standard "next few weeks - at least the end of the month" answers. By all means, feel free to call and nudge a little more.
 
I just got an invitation from Brandon to the "Admitted Student Preview Day" on campus on April 5. So I guess I am accepted! 🙂

That being said, I have not receive any official notification email and the portal still says "referred to collee for review". Brandon's email mentions that if we haven't received the official emails yet, we will "soon".

Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting to hear!!
 
I just got an invitation from Brandon to the "Admitted Student Preview Day" on campus on April 5. So I guess I am accepted! 🙂

That being said, I have not receive any official notification email and the portal still says "referred to collee for review". Brandon's email mentions that if we haven't received the official emails yet, we will "soon".

Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting to hear!!

Congratulations!! Hopefully the rest of us will receive something before the end of this week.

UIC's visit day also lands on the same date as BU's. You'd think they might try to coordinate those days a little better 😛

BU does have a later date, but what's the point of a visit day after the April 15th deadline? I guess it's good if you've already decided...
 
Congratulations!! Hopefully the rest of us will receive something before the end of this week.

UIC's visit day also lands on the same date as BU's. You'd think they might try to coordinate those days a little better 😛

BU does have a later date, but what's the point of a visit day after the April 15th deadline? I guess it's good if you've already decided...

You'd think that would be coordinated much better.
UIC's deadline is also April 15.
 
What could be taking so long? I don't understand why they don't send out rejections first and get those out of the way...I realize there are lots of applications and their app deadline was later but couldnt they get out decisions as they come? We have to hear back this week I think.
 
Got my financial aid package today. Offered about 49k in unsubsidized loans, since I will be paying out-of-state tuition. :/
 
Got my financial aid package today. Offered about 49k in unsubsidized loans, since I will be paying out-of-state tuition. :/

Glenvorian, that's a bummer. No alternatives for anything other than loans?

When did you receive your acceptance? I'm just trying to get a handle on UIC's timeline. (I received the invite to the preview day, but haven't received the official acceptance letter yet.)
 
Glenvorian, that's a bummer. No alternatives for anything other than loans?

When did you receive your acceptance? I'm just trying to get a handle on UIC's timeline. (I received the invite to the preview day, but haven't received the official acceptance letter yet.)

Not sure about alternatives. There is something about a funding assistance application on their website so I'm going to ask them about that and see what they say.

My web portal was updated to "Admit" on March 8th. I received an invite to preview day on Tuesday and an email yesterday saying that my FA award letter was online. I still haven't received anything in snail mail though. Their timeline is a bit weird but I think it depends on the department.

If you got an invite to the preview day, you're likely accepted. Congratulations!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Update for those waiting ....

The HPA coordinator is out sick this week, which is likely why most of us haven't gotten official responses.

They are still processing applications, and the student portal updates on Fridays. The letters go out after the portal updates. So Fridays are the day to check the portal.

Good luck to everyone!
 
Update for those waiting ....

The HPA coordinator is out sick this week, which is likely why most of us haven't gotten official responses.

They are still processing applications, and the student portal updates on Fridays. The letters go out after the portal updates. So Fridays are the day to check the portal.

Good luck to everyone!

I'll be refreshing the portal every hour while enjoying free pizza at Mich's visit day tomorrow :laugh:
 
So I've been following this forum for a couple of weeks and starting to panic as I saw everyone getting accepted to UIC SPH....

I have to admit, I was late to the game. I submitted my application right on the deadline 2/1 and I took the GRE 3/1.......and I thought for sure I was not going to get accepted.

Well, I got the good news today! Throughout the application process, I was exchanging a couple of emails with the admissions advisor and I figured I'd give it one more shot today and follow up on the status of my application...and this is the reply:

"Thank you for reaching out to me and I must say your timing is good as we just reached an admissions decision. Congratulations! You were recommended for admission into our MPH program. Expect to receive a congratulatory e-mail and admit letter next week. Hope all is well!" 😀

I am over the moon! I screamed in my office when I read that email. I have to admit, I did get a little emotional. UIC is the only school I applied to and I really did not have a "Plan B" if I did not get accepted. 🙂

Good luck to everyone else waiting!! :luck:
 
Congrats to those being accepted ... and fingers crossed for those who are still waiting.

Even though Brandon confirmed my admission last week, I've been anxiously awaiting the "official" letter. I finally received the admission email today, along with 10 attachments and notification of a small scholarship. (The student portal still says that my status is under review.)

Just thought I'd give an update to anyone who is still waiting.... good luck!
 
Last edited:
How long did you wait to get your email? I emailed the office to follow up on my status, and I got a reply that I had been admitted and my welcome email and letter would follow and I should get it this week. My portal still says I have "items outstanding."
 
I waited a week. I received my invite to the "Admitted Students Preview Day" last Tuesday. I got the official email today.
Which division did you apply to? Brandon said that the coordinator for HPA has been out sick, so I'm sure that caused a delay.
 
I waited a week. I received my invite to the "Admitted Students Preview Day" last Tuesday. I got the official email today.
Which division did you apply to? Brandon said that the coordinator for HPA has been out sick, so I'm sure that caused a delay.

CHS...I initially emailed Brandon back in February, and he referred me to David and he has been great with answering many of my questions. I just happened to email him Friday because it had been a few weeks, and then I got the reply that I had been "recommended for admissions into the MPH program. And that I should be getting the congrats email and admit letter next week." I was just wondering how long it would take to get the letter. My UIC Portal says that I still have items that were outstanding.....more specifically my SOPHAS app. My SOPHAS app was mailed on 3/7.

I am pretty certain I'm in, but it would be nice to get all the "official" stuff. 😛
 
I emailed Brandon yesterday and got the following response:

Your complete/verified SOPHAS application is currently with the program for review. I can only give estimates for decisions, but would expect a decision within 1-2 weeks. For a more exact timeline, you can contact the program directly.

You may receive an email directly from the program, otherwise the fastest way to get the decision is by using the login and pin you created when completing the UIC Supplemental Application. Keep in mind that the UIC application may show as "Incomplete" as it does take the Office of Admissions a few additional weeks to process the SOPHAS documents after they have been mailed.

1-2 weeks?? Ugh...this is frustrating.
 
I emailed the Academic Coordinator for the Epi-Bio department yesterday afternoon, asking for an expected timeline on decisions. I'll update when I get a response back.
 
Thanks for the update. I emailed her a while back and didn't get a response. I hope you have better luck than me. The waiting is killing me!
 
CHS...I initially emailed Brandon back in February, and he referred me to David and he has been great with answering many of my questions. I just happened to email him Friday because it had been a few weeks, and then I got the reply that I had been "recommended for admissions into the MPH program. And that I should be getting the congrats email and admit letter next week." I was just wondering how long it would take to get the letter. My UIC Portal says that I still have items that were outstanding.....more specifically my SOPHAS app. My SOPHAS app was mailed on 3/7.

I am pretty certain I'm in, but it would be nice to get all the "official" stuff. 😛
Same here. I have received an email that I was recommended and have been invited to the New Student Day, but no word on funding or the official letter.
 
Still waiting :-/

Have any M.S. applicants heard back yet??


Congrats to those accepted so far!

I heard back. No work on funding yet. My initial email said that I was was in for MPH not MS. I had to call and double check...err. But, it is a yes for MS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Someone on GradCafe heard back last week and was accepted to the M.S. epi program (They applied to the PhD program but were accepted to the MS program). Starting to wonder if I've been waitlisted 🙁
 
My hope is since it's based on individual professors they really are still trying to match people. :-/ I wish Brandon would just tell us one way or another.
 
My hope is since it's based on individual professors they really are still trying to match people. :-/ I wish Brandon would just tell us one way or another.

So when you say it's based on being matched with a professor, what does that entail? Do you know when we find out the match?
 
Hey Truelotus,

Which program did you apply to?

CHS/MCH EPI
No word on my adviser. I applied to MS and was told that worst case would be that I would get into MPH. I hear that MS it kinda tricky, last year there were no MS students admitted for CHS.
 
My hope is since it's based on individual professors they really are still trying to match people. :-/ I wish Brandon would just tell us one way or another.

That would be my guess. I met profs in person to try and make a connection.