UIC COP or Midwestern CCP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmady

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Putting cost and location aside, my situation allows for them to be approximately equal due to many reasons, which school would you go to and why? I have recently been admitted to Midwestern and am anxiously waiting to hear back from UIC.

I have been impressed by both schools in different ways and am hoping to hear what current and former students have to say. I feel that my personality would fit in well at Midwestern; however, I am strongly attracted to the clinical aspect that UIC seemed to put more emphasis on.

Does anybody have any input? Please back your reasoning up. I do not want to turn this into a school bashing thread, like some of the other threads.

Members don't see this ad.

I have talked with a few pharmacists that work in hospital settings in Chicago, and they have indicated that they think that students from UIC seem to be better prepared than CCP students. Keep in mind, this is the feedback from only a few pharmacists and could very well be biased by a few bad students.

Absolutely. I have heard the same about UIC students too so I am taking everything with a grain of salt, especially since I heard it from Midwestern students on rotation after their 3rd round. (That may have been comparing a first round rotation with the third, but I don't know)

Thanks for the honest input. Keep them coming.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar situation: I got into CCP, but I got into Wayne State (it's no U of M, but it's still a top program).

I'd have more opportunities as a graduate from Wayne, but I have a friend from CCP and i've went around the area during the week and I absolutely LOVE it there. It doesn't help that i'd be able to get out of a 3 year long distance relationship and finally be within the same vicinity as my boyfriend. :(

In the end, I looked at two things:

Where do the opportunities lie?
Will you be able to afford the cost of tuition at CCP?

In the end I (and my boyfriend pushed me) told myself to choose the better school that looks good on paper.

The cost of living is negated by the fact that I am able to live nearby at little to no cost where I would live in Chicago were I to go to UIC.

But I definitely understand the pressure to go to the school that looks better on paper. I was thinking that UIC may be a slightly better route to go based on the amount of alumni that are in the position to be in upper management where Midwestern alumni are still making their way up. Although it shouldn't be an issue, some people do look out for their fellow alumni (Midwestern does graduate more per year though).

Thanks for your input. I will add it to my list of considerations!

I have talked with a few pharmacists that work in hospital settings in Chicago, and they have indicated that they think that students from UIC seem to be better prepared than CCP students. Keep in mind, this is the feedback from only a few pharmacists and could very well be biased by a few bad students.

The pharmacists that I work with also said the exact same thing.

Thanks for the input. If anyone has a more candid story they would rather not share publicly feel free to PM it to me.

Anyone have any suggestions based on something other than level of preparedness? Level of Midwestern's clinical programs vs UIC's? A major difference that I may be missing?

Thanks for the input. If anyone has a more candid story they would rather not share publicly feel free to PM it to me.

Anyone have any suggestions based on something other than level of preparedness? Level of Midwestern's clinical programs vs UIC's? A major difference that I may be missing?
My friend is a p1 at Midwestern and told me that the hospital nearby stopped letting students do rotations there. I don't remember the name exactly, but it was on the main road and I asked about it.

Hey there, I am having the exact same dilemma. I have been accepted at Midwestern CCP and waiting to hear back from UIC. Of course, if UIC doesn't accpet me - there is no decision to make, off to Midwestern I go! Funny, a lot of people seem to not like Midwestern. The cost is a big turn off which is completely understandable - especially when you are comparing it to UIC. For me, I think I am actually leaning toward Midwestern even though I hear that UIC is a "better" school. The main reason for me is by far the location. I live about a 15-20 minute drive from Midwestern in comparison to over an hour commute to UIC. I know I'm in store for long days of class and long nights of studying... so the easier and more comfortable I can make it for myself the better. Bottom line is, when I ask myself where I will be more comfortable and where I will be able to be a better student - it's Midwestern. It's definately a tough decision though - the tuition savings at UIC is hard to pass up. UIC also does appear to offer more avenues of study as far as clinical specialties and research options. They are both good schools. I guess I'm just going to hold off making a decision until I hear back from UIC! Keep the post updated, I'd love to hear what you end up deciding... and perhaps I'll see you in class :)

My friend is a p1 at Midwestern and told me that the hospital nearby stopped letting students do rotations there. I don't remember the name exactly, but it was on the main road and I asked about it.

If it the one I know it's probably Good Smaritan Hosptial off of Highland ave., By the way I am limited to Staying in the Chicago area (thus leaving Midwestern and U.I,C), So I will go with who ever accepts me. I hope to start a spin off of ben10's thread "2 apps. 2 interviews. 2 acceptances" thread in 2 years ;)

Last edited:
The Prepharm Club at UIUC is hosting an info night which will include UIC and Midwestern. I've been putting together some basic info for club members, and you might be interested to know:

UIC
145 in state/160 total students. Rockford campus will be adding 50 spots.
PharmD/PhD and PharmD/MSHI joint degrees offered
Graduates: 65% community pharmacy, 25% residencies, 10% hospital

Midwestern
133 in state/208 total students
No joint degrees
Graduates: 65% community, 29% hospital, 6% other/residencies

Wow, that's something that I did not know. Thanks!