UIC (IS) vs. SIU (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roblesc182

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

I’m looking at making a deposit for one of my state schools. I was wondering if I could get anyone’s opinion on what school to attend. Feedback on you’re opinion of location, tuition, and education would be appreciated if you have any insight!

UIC is giving me about 30K in scholarships for all 4 years and I’m stuck between the schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! First off, congrats on the acceptances!!

I am a D1 at UIC right now and also had to make a choice between UIC and SIU last year. Here are some reasons why I chose UIC:

1. I really liked the idea of SGL (small group learning). Twice a week (3 hours each session), we have to meet in a group of around 7-10 other students and talk about different cases. We also have assignments that we have to do for each day of the case (We spend around 3 days per case) Personally I like it because I don't like learning by just going to lectures, but I know classmates who are not a fan of this. It really depends on your learning style.
2. Diversity. UIC has a diverse group of patients and faculty/students. I wanted to be able to learn how to work with people of all types of cultures.
3. Large patient pool. UIC has a lot of patients and students NEVER have an issue finding patients from what I heard from upperclassmen.
4. City life. I have always wanted to live in the city because there are endless of things to do and restaurants to try. Dental school keeps you busy, but if you are good at managing your time, you will certainly have time on weekends to explore the city!

Regardless of what school you choose, both schools are great and you will be a dentist at the end. Just make sure you pick the one that you feel like best suits you! Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi! First off, congrats on the acceptances!!

I am a D1 at UIC right now and also had to make a choice between UIC and SIU last year. Here are some reasons why I chose UIC:

1. I really liked the idea of SGL (small group learning). Twice a week (3 hours each session), we have to meet in a group of around 7-10 other students and talk about different cases. We also have assignments that we have to due for each day of the case (We spend around 3 days per case) Personally I like it because I don't like learning by just going to lectures, but I know classmates who are not a fan of this. It really depends on your learning style.
2. Diversity. UIC has a diverse group of patients and faculty/students. I wanted to be able to learn how to work with people of all types of cultures.
3. Large patient pool. UIC has a lot of patients and students NEVER have an issue finding patients from what I heard from upperclassmen.
4. City life. I have always wanted to live in the city because there are endless of things to do and restaurants to try. Dental school keeps you busy, but if you are good at managing your time, you will certainly have time on weekends to explore the city!

Regardless of what school you choose, both schools are great and you will be a dentist at the end. Just make sure you pick the one that you feel like best suits you! Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you so much for the reply!
I know those are all very solid pros of the school. UIC is also closer to home.

Reactions: 1 user