Uic or UTmemphis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sera85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to both Univ of Tenn Memphis and Univ of Illinois Chicago pharmacy schools, but I am having trouble deciding. I've been searching online about the different programs, but I feel so limited in information. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted to both Univ of Tenn Memphis and Univ of Illinois Chicago pharmacy schools, but I am having trouble deciding. I've been searching online about the different programs, but I feel so limited in information. Any advice?

I'd pick UIC because they are a ranked program... not that ranking matters now at least, but figure in four years if you'd like to further your pharmacy education and continue on into other subsections you'll have a pretty well respected school's name to fall back on...

Draw a pro/con list out, no one can really answer this question for you but YOU.You don't want to be unhappy for four important years of your life. :cool:

I'd pick UIC because they are a ranked program...

UT is also ranked (in the top 20), so I don't really see that being an issue between these 2 schools.

To the OP, are you a resident of either state? Both are state schools, so you will obviously see a significant savings if you attend your state school, versus paying out-of-state tuition.

Another thing I'd consider would be location. There is a pretty big difference between these 2 locations, both with weather and culture.

Also, it looks like UT has a new building opening up this year, so that might be nice going to school in a brand new facility.

If it was me, and I was a resident for one of the schools, I would go to that school just for all the money I'd save. If you are out-of-state for both, you'll have to dig deeper and figure out what it is you're really looking for in a school as far as curriculum, opportunities, location, etc.

Good luck and congrats on your acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at the affiliations each school has with the surrounding medical centers/hospitals. Look up what your rotation options are.

Disclaimer: I attend UT... I am biased.

UT is a wonderful school. Top 10? Top 20? I don't think there's enough of a gap to use that as a deciding factor.

The previous posters had great advice. Go to whatever school is in-state. If they're both out-of-state then go to UT (there's that bias thing). If you think about it, your decision should come down to whether you want good barbecue or good deep dish pizza.

While I have no idea what Chicago's curriculum is like I am familiar with UT.

Here's a few things that I like about our program:

-UT has only 2.5 years of classwork and 1.5 years of rotations.

-We have a new building that is supposed to be ready in August for the class of 2014 to be the first P1's to use it.

-UT has an elective for Nuclear Pharmacy where you can be certified as a nuclear pharmacist and ready to practice upon graduation.

-UT has affiliations with most of the hospitals in the Memphis area including St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and LeBonheur Children's Hospital.

I was skeptical about living in Memphis at first but it's really grown on me. I love living near the Mississippi and being able to walk 1 block and see it. The food is amazing. The Memphis Zoo is fantastic. There's more but I won't bore you with all of it.

thank you guys for all your advice. :)

I'm a TN resident, so it woud be a huge plus if I went to UT memphis bc of the amount I would save on tuition. However, a part of me wants to leave TN since I have been here my whole life, but I don't want to be that much more in debt unless UIC offered more benefits in the long run.

I am highly considering a residency in psychiatry pharmacy, and i was wondering if one school would put me in advantage over the other. I'm guessing it would be the same,but honestly..I have no idea about any of this. >.<

UIC is in a much larger city which means much MORE opportunities (whether it be jobs, rotations, internships, or just fun!). UIC is also more well-known than UT, IMO.

Having lived in both Memphis and Chicago, I'd definitely recommend getting out of your comfort zone and making the move. I think it teaches you a lot about yourself as a person and lets you expand your network.

People bag on me for this, but I believe come 4 years from now, where you went to school and what you did while you went there will be VERY VERY important for residency (which you will need for psych). Also, take a gander at the residency forum. 1100 people didn't match into residencies this year...what does that tell you? Good luck!

Since both schools are similar in terms of academics, I would say save money whenever you can! UIC is a great school in a great city, but is it worth moonlighting 16 hours a week after graduation to pay of your student loans? I work with a guy who just graduated from UIC with $160,000 in loans after undergrad/pharm school, and he had to finance a wedding, and just bought a condo. He has to work A LOT, in multiple jobs, just to make good on his payments. He was also an in-state student. I would go to the best school you can afford, doing well at either would put you in line for a residency upon graduation.

He must have had undergrad loans or took out all that UIC financial aid offered. Tuition/fees for an in-state student for a year are less than $20k. They add on about another $10k for living expenses.