UIC Peoria Campus - Any insight appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdfaithful

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was recently assigned the Peoria campus (second preference) over my first preference (Chicago).
I am an OOS student (Souther California) and am pretty used to the big city environment (e.g., Los Angeles, San Diego). I interviewed at Chicago, so I am in a state of confusion by my campus assignment.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Would I need a car as MS1?
What kind of housings do MS1/MS2 live? (Apartments?)
What kind of neighborhoods surround the campus? (Safe? Dangerous? Meh?)
What kind of facilities are offered at the Peoria campus? (Is there a gym? cafeteria?)
Will my chances of matching into surgical residencies be lower compared to the Chicago campus?
How are the demographics of the student body and the area at Peoria?
Are there grocery stores, shopping malls, postal office, etc. nearby for convenience?

hmo please T_T

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry about your tuition, but congrats!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Oh boy, ummm, Peoria.

1. CONGRATS on acceptance, focus on that :) (really, focus on that)
2. Peoria is really small and considering LA, very safe; it's a midwestern smallish city in the middle of nowhere in IL
3. Peoria is going to offer you the same conveniences of a larger city just not as many of them (for instance, in NY, there's a 7-11 every 2 blocks or a CVS; in Peoria there won't be as many)
4. People will be pretty dang nice - not just nice polite, but nice...

For getting to a big city and getting back to what feels normal? You'll have to get a car and drive into the Chicago. Bloomington is not far away either (Big 10 school there) but it is not a big city either.

Again, CONGRATS on acceptance :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
FYIBloomington in IL does not have a Big 10 school. It does have two universities( Illinois State and Illinois Wesleyan). Actually Bloomington -Normal is a great place. Bloomington in IN does have a Big 10 school. Of course there is Champaign East of Bloomington with U of I.

Now back to Peoria.

FYIBloomington in IL does not have a Big 10 school. It does have two universities( Illinois State and Illinois Wesleyan). Actually Bloomington -Normal is a great place. Bloomington in IN does have a Big 10 school. Of course there is Champaign East of Bloomington with U of I.

Now back to Peoria.
Where is UI? oooooooh nvm, Champaign-Urbana, right?

Reactions: 1 users
Peoria isn’t horribly small. I think there are over 100k residents. It has a zoo, botanical gardens, lots of opportunities for residents. I’ve been to Peoria and it seemed like an okay place. I suggest you call them and make a plan to visit. You’ll need to anyway to secure housing. But wait a couple of weeks(weather issues come and go). UofI in Chicago is In a pretty bad area , especially compared to Peoria. I know you are disappointed but that’s life. You get to be a doctor. And in the past I think students were able to transfer to Chicago for 3-4 year. I think Peoria has several residency programs so that’s good. And I’m pretty sure they have public transportation. Peoria used to be a pretty big manufacturing city. Not sure what that status is now.

@candbgirl I had friends who lived there and went there; it's small compared to LA or San Diego; my friends were from major metro in midwest and it was a bit painful for them at first but the friendliness of the people/community and safety >> than big city

In the spring, summer, fall it's a really pretty, small town but like anywhere in the MW, hunker down for winter :)

Exactly. OPs choice was Chicago. Weather can be horrible here but it is what it is. I’ve spent lots of time in southern Wisconsin in and around small towns -like 5k-50k. I don’t think 100k is awful. I think It’s a nice size.

omg are you me? we gotta talk mdfaithful...

LOL just LOL if you think UIC is in a "bad" area. If you think that's bad you either don't know bad or have never been to the area.
I’ve been there dozens and dozens of times. And it isn’t in the best of areas. It has gentrified east of the med center but it still isn’t great. In fact I was at the Bulls game last night and going to Vernon Tap tomorrow. So yeah, I’m very familiar with the area.

I've spent a lot of time in Peoria. It's not the most exciting place in the world but it's big enough that it has the major stores and restaurants. I found that there was enough to do, but I was coming from a small town so it was a step up. Going the other way you will probably find it a little cramped.

Hi! I’m in Peoria now for undergrad at Bradley and would love to give you advice or input if you would like! You can message me if you like!

Hi! I’m in Peoria now for undergrad at Bradley and would love to give you advice or input if you would like! You can message me if you like!

Thanks! I will brew up some questions and will PM! Appreciate it :)

Tried to PM you but wouldn't allow. You can try a conversation with me! I got some questions! :))