UIC Pharm School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not number 41.00. I apologize for making you worried.

Members don't see this ad.

soooo what's the best way of going about telling other university's that you want to give up your seat? phone call? email? i'm really not sure how to go about this in a professional manner. I would assume sending an email or making a phone call would be ok... just wondering what everyone else was going. anddddd who's callin midwestern soon? haha

Check the information they gave you when you were accepted. If you already signed a letter of intent, I would call and ask how they would prefer you communicate your decision with them. Otherwise, an e-mail will usually suffice, just be sure to ask in the e-mail if they would like you to call or anything in addition (to be polite).

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all of the accepted students. For the accepted students, can you please share your stats? I'm on the alternative list and am ranked very far down at 29th, and I feel that it was the interview that botched me...

Why do they give alternate list numbers with two zeros after the decimal point?

Congrats to all of the accepted students. For the accepted students, can you please share your stats? I'm on the alternative list and am ranked very far down at 29th, and I feel that it was the interview that botched me...

I have a BS in Chemistry (2008) and graduated with a 3.82 GPA. I got an 85 on the PCAT and had a pretty good amount of extra-curriculars. I did not, however, have any pharmacy experience.

I already declined my seat, and I am writing my letter requesting for the $100 refund. I hope this opens a spot for you!

Hi, Are you talking about $1000 non-refundable deposite?
I don't think it is possible to get it back, is it? Did anyone talk to Midwestern about getting $1000 back?

I don't think it is possible to get it back, is it? Did anyone talk to Midwestern about getting $1000 back?

The matriculation agreement states that you can apply for a $100 refund, and Midwestern gets to keep the other $900.

Depending on when you sent it in, you have a potential of getting $100 of it back. There is no way to get the full deposit back.

UIC takes a very holistic approach. If you got an interview, your stats were fine. Tonight I saw Dr. Tenhoeve (dean) and he highly recommends students contact UIC to find out what they can/need to improve. And, hey, you still could get in!

Now that we've been accepted, I would like to ask current and future pharmacy students what options are available in terms of housing or transportation. I am currently living in schaumburg (for those who are familiar with the chicago-suburbs area) which is around 40 mins to UIC w/o traffic (w/ traffic would probably take 60-80 mins). What do you all think is the best option, commute by car or commute by train. If using mass transportation, which line or train and bus should I take. If commuting by car, what are the price associated with school parking and how easy is it to find a parking space on campus. In addition, what dorms are available to UIC pharm students and what would be the approximate price range for dorms.

In addition, I listed on my pharmCAS that I was going to take Cal II and repeat Orgo I. Both of these classes were meant for other school of pharmacy in case I did not get accepted to UIC. Would I still need to take these classes because I listed these classes on pharmCAS as planned courses or am I fine since I have complete all of the required pre-reqs.

Now that we've been accepted, I would like to ask current and future pharmacy students what options are available in terms of housing or transportation. I am currently living in schaumburg (for those who are familiar with the chicago-suburbs area) which is around 40 mins to UIC w/o traffic (w/ traffic would probably take 60-80 mins). What do you all think is the best option, commute by car or commute by train. If using mass transportation, which line or train and bus should I take. If commuting by car, what are the price associated with school parking and how easy is it to find a parking space on campus. In addition, what dorms are available to UIC pharm students and what would be the approximate price range for dorms.

I'm in a similar situation to you. I live just a little SE of Schaumburg as well and will be commuting every day. At this point I think I'm going to drive most of the time. If you are going to use public transportation, it would have to be the Milwaukee District-West line of the metra from (depending on where in Schaumburg you live) either the Medinah, Roselle, or Schaumburg stations in to Union Station (about 45 min). From Union Station I would recommend walking a couple of blocks to the pink line (probably the Quincy stop) and ride that about 7 min or so to Polk (almost right behing the UIC Pharmacy building). If you rather ride a bus than the el, I think you could catch route 126 from just north of Union Station on Adams St and it will take roughly 10 min to get to John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital (Cook County Hospital). The el or bus will be "free" since a CTA Upass comes along with UIC tuition, but I remember looking at the metra price, which for my stop would be $116.10 per month. With the price of gas being fairly low right now, I think it's worth it to be able to leave and come home when I want. If the price of gas shoots back up, however, I will probably end up using public transportation. I also think that public transportation might be nice in that you could study on the metra on your way in to the city. Anyways, I've rambled on long enough . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't take bus 126. You should take bus #7 or #38. You'll pick them up at Clinton and Jackson. They both stop at Polk and Wood. It takes 15-20 minutes to go from Union Station to Polk and Wood.
The cost of a parking pass at UIC is $315 per semester, and since you are new to the school, you'll probably be initially assigned lot W-2. W-2 is located at about Damen and Harrison. After a semester or two, you might be able to be reassigned to Wood St. Parking garage, which is located at Wood and Roosevelt.
http://www.uic.edu/depts/avcad/parking/welcome.html

What about driving to Rosemont from Schaumburg and leaving the car there for $5, then taking a blue line to UIC-Halstead? Is this way or the metra way faster?
If driving, how early does one need to leave from Schaumburg, if the class starts at 8:30am? And how early if taking metra?

Yeah.. basically what Venicat said. I'm hoping to somehow receive $100 of it back.

And, sorry for veering slightly off topic, but I submitted my acceptance letter and deposit Thursday with Delivery Confirmation. My status is currently:

We attempted to deliver your item at 9:09 AM on April 11, 2009 in CHICAGO, IL 60612 and a notice was left. You may pick up the item at the Post Office indicated on the notice, go to www.usps.com/redelivery, or call 800-ASK-USPS to arrange for redelivery. If this item is unclaimed after 15 days then it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.
I'm guessing it's because their office isn't open on Saturday, or someone wasn't in to pick it up.. should I call in, or should I just keep checking for a few days and wait to see if they end up picking it up before calling? Any advice or input would be appreciated!

edit: I figured it out.. I was being silly.

Last edited:
First, don't take the Blue Line to UIC-Halsted because that is the east campus stop. You should get off at Medical Center. From Rosemont to Medical Center, it'll take about 50 minutes. It is an additional 10 minutes or so to walk from the Medical Center stop to COP.

From Union Station to COP, you should give yourself at least 30 minutes.

Yeah.. basically what Venicat said. I'm hoping to somehow receive $100 of it back.

And, sorry for veering slightly off topic, but I submitted my acceptance letter and deposit Thursday with Delivery Confirmation. My status is currently:

I'm guessing it's because their office isn't open on Saturday, or someone wasn't in to pick it up.. should I call in, or should I just keep checking for a few days and wait to see if they end up picking it up before calling? Any advice or input would be appreciated!

edit: I figured it out.. I was being silly.

I checked my delivery confirmation and it said the same thing. I e-mailed Paula Fleming and she said she received mine.

How do you get your $100 refund from Midwestern? I remember there was some sort of directions when you log in, but they changed their site around and that page is no longer there (or at least I can't find it). Please help! I'm already bummed that I lost $900 to their program.

How do you get your $100 refund from Midwestern? I remember there was some sort of directions when you log in, but they changed their site around and that page is no longer there (or at least I can't find it). Please help! I'm already bummed that I lost $900 to their program.

Direct from their website:

REFUND POLICY with written notification of withdrawal more than thirty calendar days before the program begins. After a student has paid his/her entire matriculation deposit, he/she may request a $100 refund by writing to the Director of Admissions and mailed/delivered to the institution at the address stated here within up to 30 calendar days prior to the first date of orientation. Refunds are not given for partial or incremental deposit payments. A Student loses 100% of all deposit money if an official, written notification of withdrawal is received by the Office of Admissions less than one month (30 calendar days) before the date of orientation or if the student fails to matriculate at the orientation program.

Basically I'm just writing a business style letter asking for my money back...

Congrats, Class of 2013! Enjoy your summer vacation! =)

In terms of living arrangements, etc. - I live in the northern suburbs (Glenview) and I commuted my 1st semester. It all depends on you, though, which is better. There's pro's and con's to both. Personally, after I moved into the city for my 2nd semester (and still there), I enjoy having my own space, and having the commutes go from 1.5 hours (bad traffic) to 30 min (max) from Old Town - it has definitely improved my sanity. I hated sitting in traffic and it left me exhausted a lot. I did try going to route of public transportation - I drove to a CTA station and then took the train in, but that took forever, and usually no seats were available. For those taking Metra though, remember, they have their own delays, as well. If you choose the commute, you get used to it so it probably won't be much of a big deal. Plus, you'll be saving a lot on student loans, etc. Ironically, I drive up to the suburbs on the weekends when I want to study - because parking is easier to find up there, rather than Chicago.

In terms of parking at UIC, it does cost approx $316/semester. The lot they may also offer is Lot M, which is just south of Roosevelt and Wood. You just have to walk north to head to the COP. They also have placed parking meters all along the streets south of Roosevelt down Wood and surrounding areas. At this point, it costs 25 cents per hour, but who knows how much it may be next year? The UPass (unlimited CTA pass during semester) is awesome! I love my UPass. It currently costs $98, but there's been some word that the cost of this will go up. It is a mandatory fee that you cannot opt out of.

Sorry my post is all over the place. Let me know if you have questions.

I got my Acceptance letter also today:thumbup:.... Congratulations to all of you who got accepted... Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!!!! Anyone got any ideas where they are gonna live or who their room mates are gonna be?

Some areas you could go to are Pilsen (but I hear some areas can be sketchy?). A tip though is to stay EAST of Damen & Ogden. Anything west of it is, sketchy.

There are a bunch of apartments and such just east of Ashland. Maybe go for a walk in the neighborhood, and you can write down some numbers if you see a place you like. Lately, I've seen a lot of "For Rent" signs up there. The area east of Ashland (south of Harrison, north of Taylor) is Zone 5 parking. Basically, if parking is not included with your apt, or you don't rent a parking spot, you can park on the streets, but you would have to get a City of Chicago sticker, and a Zone 5 permit. You can also get a Zone 5 guest permit (highly sought after by non-neighborhood people =P), and have friends, guests, etc. park there. However, I've been told that parking can be difficult to find later in the evening - so no late-night runs to get fast food in the car (unless, you have your own parking spot).

Taylor also has restaurants such as Pompei, Francesca's, Potbelly's. There's a Starbucks on Taylor that a lot of students (pharmacy, medicine, dentistry, etc) also frequent. It opens at 5:30am, so it also serves as a nice place to study and do last-minute cramming the morning before an exam. :)

Personally, I have not lived, or live, near UIC. And that is only because my roommate is not a UIC student, and needed to be closer to the northern part of Chicago. I currently live near Old Town, and it takes me about 30 minutes (max) to get to UIC. It's a place called Atrium Village - and they have free parking! And it's near the 24-hour starbucks on North & Wells. They have 2BR and studios available in their mid-rise building. In their low-rise they also have 3BR. They have a long waitlist though.

Another option is Wicker Park. You can take the 9 Ashland bus down to get to school, or the Blue Line - and get off at UIC-Medical District (a slight walk to school, though). You could also do a search along where the CTA lines run. For instance, if you live near the Pink Line - it will be an easy commute to school. The Pink Line goes to Polk, which is literally, the COP's backyard.

I've been waiting 4 years to say this...IM GOING TO UIC PHARM SCHOOL!!!! OMG, I cried when i read my e-mail! Cant wait to meet my fellow P1's!

Your situation sounds similar to mine (waiting 4 years, crying when I found I got in, etc.) :D

For one reason or another I got wait-listed and rejected for 4 application cycles - from Midwestern, UIC, and SIU. (I only applied to IL schools for some reason).

That final try, I was really half-hearted. I didn't think I'd ever get in. But lo and behold, a pretty little email sitting in my inbox towards the end of my workday. I saw it, silently screamed (because I was at work, and my coworkers would think I was nuts =P), told my coworkers I had to leave early and bolted for the door. When I got to my car, I called my Dad first, and started screaming some gibberish, and I managed to say the words "UIC... Pharmacy", and my Dad understood. I started crying. My Dad started crying. And now I am about to finish my second year at UIC COP. :)

It goes by fast. Enjoy every minute of it! (Yes, even when you're up late studying for a quiz, exam, prepping for lab, or memorizing drug names, their MOA, side effects, counseling points, etc.) :)

I have loved my time here so far. And although I'm still 2 years away from graduation, I'm kinda sad that I will be starting my last year of didactics soon.

I have tried calling UIC but never got a straight answer to my questions. Just wondering if someone can help me. First off, in my pharmCAS, I had listed two course (Cal II, and Orgo 1 which was to be a repeat course b/c the 1st time I took it I received a C). Keep in mind, these two planned courses were courses that other schools required. However, I did meet all of the pre-reqs requirement of UIC and was wondering do I still need to take the courses mentioned above for UIC? Second question, for those who are p1, how does your day/week schedule looks like. When will the school supply us with a framework of the classes throughout the day. And would we have to sign up for classes such as electives, or does everyone take a pre-set courses. If we have to sign up for classes, when would we could we start doing it? I am asking this because I will be out of the state after the orientation (~6/15) and not sure if there is anything else I need to attend to besides the orientation.

I have tried calling UIC but never got a straight answer to my questions. Just wondering if someone can help me. First off, in my pharmCAS, I had listed two course (Cal II, and Orgo 1 which was to be a repeat course b/c the 1st time I took it I received a C). Keep in mind, these two planned courses were courses that other schools required. However, I did meet all of the pre-reqs requirement of UIC and was wondering do I still need to take the courses mentioned above for UIC? Second question, for those who are p1, how does your day/week schedule looks like. When will the school supply us with a framework of the classes throughout the day. And would we have to sign up for classes such as electives, or does everyone take a pre-set courses. If we have to sign up for classes, when would we could we start doing it? I am asking this because I will be out of the state after the orientation (~6/15) and not sure if there is anything else I need to attend to besides the orientation.

I'm guessing we will register for our classes during orientation. The link below contains the typical pharmacy curriculum outline. You will need to take ~12 hrs. of electives throughout your first 3 years.

UIC COP Curriculum Outline

Has anyone received a letter or email from UIC confirming that they received your deposit and acceptance letter? Also, has anyone received the matriculation packet yet? I haven't received any correspondance since submitting my deposit a couple of weeks ago.

Has anyone received a letter or email from UIC confirming that they received your deposit and acceptance letter? Also, has anyone received the matriculation packet yet? I haven't received any correspondance since submitting my deposit a couple of weeks ago.

I haven't recieved anything yet... my guess is that nothing will go out until at least next week since everyone's deposit is due this friday.

I dropped off my deposit and I was talking to somebody in the OSA and he said that we would receive some form of confirmation after Friday's deadline. Also, he said that once they get everyone's deposit they send off the list of students to the general UIC admissions office and they will send us a general admission letter which I think will contain stuff like our ID number/email, etc.

If you ever went to the University of Illinois before, your UIN will be the same.
UIC will send you an e-mail on how to activate your web id and how to register for classes. You'll not be registering during orientation.

On a side note, you will receive two immunization forms. One of them is for UIC and the other one is for the COP. The UIC form is a simplistic form while the COP one requires titers. Once accepted into a health care college, you can get your titers done for cheap at the UIC Family Medicine Clinic.

Congrats to every1 that has been accepted to UIC COP c/o 2013!!!

to current pharm students: do you recommend SSR?? i've heard it's more expensive...but i did some research..and it's not that much more expensive...at most it's $1,000 more per year than a regular dorm?
any advice from anyone who lives or knows someone who lives in SSR?

also to c/o 2013: any1 planning on living in SSR?

thanks

:):):):):):)
-accepted pharm student c/0 2013

thanks for the info. i'd imagine that many pharm students choose to live in ssr because of the convenient location. does anyone know what exactly the difference is between the 2-3 person "suites" and the 2-4 person apartments in ssr? It looks like the suites are a little cheaper. Is it simply a difference in size of the rooms?

thanks for the info. i'd imagine that many pharm students choose to live in ssr because of the convenient location. does anyone know what exactly the difference is between the 2-3 person "suites" and the 2-4 person apartments in ssr? It looks like the suites are a little cheaper. Is it simply a difference in size of the rooms?

Yeah, from what I saw it was just a size different.

And we get to keep our same UIN if we're already in the U of I system? Sweet!

The suites are smaller than the apartments. Some of the bedrooms in the suites are very small.

genesis09: you said that ssr contracts are 9 months, if you chose. well, isn't that the same as just a fall and spring semester?

also, is there a reason as to why it's the cheapest?

genesis09: you said that ssr contracts are 9 months, if you chose. well, isn't that the same as just a fall and spring semester?

also, is there a reason as to why it's the cheapest?

It's the cheapest because it doesn't have any meal plan, it's on the west side, and it's the oldest building which hasn't been renovated. SSR is scheduled for a major renovation.

The academic year contracts do not cover winter break. SSR contract does include winter break.

So I thought I'd vent for a minute. This Tuesday I sent my deposit via USPS express, next day GUARANTEED. When Wednesday rolled around, I checked the status online to verify it had arrived in Chicago. Turns out it didn't. I call USPS customer service and they couldn't tell me anything about my package, just saying that it was "in route". So I check Thursday, still hadn't arrived. Check this morning, and it was finally processed in Chicago at 3:00am. So I would imagine it will be there today. Anyways, I am getting 100% refunded, as it was GUARANTEED to be there Wednesday by 12:00. It cost me over $13.00 to ship it too. :mad:
I explained my situation to Paula Fleming too, and she said not to worry if it wasn't there by Friday. Phew.

thanx genesis09, so do you recommend ssr or not? since its really old and all...

check your bank account for the deposit

email paula if she receives ur letter

thanx genesis09, so do you recommend ssr or not? since its really old and all...
SSR was built in about 1979, and so, it is not that old. I personally did not have a bad experience in the building. My room was fine. I've heard that some rooms are better than others. SSR does include all utilities. You'll have to pay extra for cable and/or internet. The kitchen has an oven, stove top, and refrigerator. You'll have to bring a microwave, if you want one. You can call UIC housing and ask for a tour.

is there anyone that got accepted to uic but is giving up/has given up their seat for another school?

is there anyone that got accepted to uic but is giving up/has given up their seat for another school?

I've sent my deposit to UIC, in addition to LECOM-B. I still am not sure which school I want to go to, so my seat is somewhat up in the air.

Wait a minute...I'm on the UIC alternate list and I'm ranked 29th too. Does that mean that there can me more than one person for the same number? Also, I have not seen the alternate list number move past 0. I find it hard to believe that no one denied his or her UIC acceptance. Something is fishy here!

UIC won't move on the alternate list until May.

to current pharm students: do you recommend SSR??

A major steam leak under the sidewalk in the vicinity of Damen and Polk has necessitated evacuation of Polk Street Residence Hall (PSR) and Single Student Residence Hall (SSR). No injuries reported. Avoid this area.

:smuggrin:

That is not the first time something like that has occurred. In 2004, a pipe burst in the East Campus next to one of the lecture halls. They had to turn off the electricity to almost the entire East Campus for a day.

Hi everyone :)
I'm just wondering if UIC still has yet to cash in anybody's checks? I sent my deposit via certified mail, and the status says that it's been delivered on April 17, but they still haven't cashed my check in yet according to my bank account. I called UIC and the lady who answered the phone just said that "they've received everything" without asking my name or getting any information from me:cool:. She also said that it takes awhile for UIC to deposit everyone's checks, but I noticed that some people have already had their checks deposited in April. Anyone else having the same problem:eek:?