UIC prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milhouse Van Houten

Reaction score
what falls under social science/ behavioral sciences? they want 3 semesters in this category. i'm on the quarter system, so one class in a subject doesn't qualify for a semester. would any of these qualify for behavioral sciences?
-education
-linguistics
-economics
-any kind of history

i know i may be stretching it a bit. could something like this really prevent me from sending in the secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

None of these is strictly behavioral science. They are all humanities. However, they might be if you were applying to chiropractic school! (Seriously, I once asked NYCC if they would take my philosophy class called biomedical ethics as psychology. After much consulting, they decided they would!)

if u go to UCLA.....which you may or may not go ;)

econ and history and linguistics ALL are considered social sciences at UCLA...

dont u have any psychology classes? :D

put those....

Members don't see this ad :)
I called UIC today and asked them about these "requirements".

She told me that History could fall under a social science.
I have 2 semesters of history..but then I don't know what to put on the other one. I took a class called "fairy tales" which was a mix between Child Psychology and Reading and Comp (but called German)...So I think I will put that.

I then asked her, well I don't really have these req's done, so should I just not apply.
She then told me that the so called social science "prereqs" are actually just "RECOMMENDED" and are "NOT REQUIRED"...go figure...She told me just to put whatever down for the social science fields and it won't matter.

If someone else could call tomorrow and find out more...please post what they tell you.

As I said elsewhere, take all these "requirements" with a grain of salt.

I would say history, economics and lingusitics would definitely qualify.

When all else fails, try asking, if you have one, your premedical advisor who should know from experience which courses at YOUR college qualify for inclusion in whatever category you have questions about.

It is actual course content, not title nor subject matter department, that determines category. Content is often enough not discernable from titles.

Social sciences and behavioral sciences are not the same thing. The strict definition of behavioral sciences (which are all also social sciences)is psychology, sociology, and anthropology. Social sciences which aren't behavioral sciences include history, economics, poli sci, etc.

I called two days ago because I don't have any psych classes or anything that would qualify (though if history really counts, then at least I have that). They told me the classes just have to be taken before matriculation, so they could be taken next summer after I graduate. If I end up going to UIC then I will probably take them at the community college (they even said they would take corespondence courses). Basically, the message is that they don't care yet. The admissions counselor said they would start verifying requirements for admitted students in June.

when i applied the first time to UIC i counted courses in the poli sci/philosophy/ethics vein as my 'behavioral science' courses. no one complained. but i also wasn't accepted so draw your own conclusions. :D i'm using the exact same courses to fulfill these requirements this time around too.

i can't remember if i actually called UIC to find out if these courses were applicable, but what i do remember is getting my hands on a copy of the UIC course catalog. if i remember correctly, 'behavioral sciences' are a gen ed requirements for undergrads, so i believe there was a list of courses and depts that, according to UIC, fell under 'behavioral science', and that was how i justified using the courses that i did.

i really wouldn't worry too much about these courses. like gower notes, adcoms won't be able to tell for sure what the course content was based on the course title that you list on the application anyway. i would especially not worry based on what scooby was told, that these requirements are not set in stone anyway.

where is rxfudd? he's the resident UIC student on this board....

I attended UIC as an undergrad and I applied there last year for med school. Here is what they IDEALLY want according to my pre-med advisor:

2 Behavioral Science
1 Social science

UIC prefers that 2 of the 3 social science/behaivioral science courses are psychology courses. They prefer that two of the courses are taken under the same department or field of study i.e.- PSYCH100 and PSYCH213.

As far as a I know, behavioral science courses are generally limited to psychology.

You could also do a two course sequence with a social science course as well but they strongly recommend you do it with a psych courses. The third course can be a choice among just about any social science course. When I applied I put down Intro to Psych, Child Psych, and a Geography course on international conflicts which counts as a social science.

Econ is definitely a social science but I am not sure about linguistics since I have never taken a course in that area. Education and History might count but it depends on what the courses were specifically about. If the history course was general American history in the 19th century I'd probably say no, but a course that documents the history of medicine or some other issue and how it evolved to the present day might count.

What about thier advanced-level bio course requirement? this have a small list, but I'm wondering if that list is all-inclusive. I have Cell Biology 380 with lab, and Genetics with Lab--anyone if either of these satisfy thier req? Also, I'm in the quarter system: do I include two classes as opposed one?

Any bio course that is 200 level or above will suffice for the advanced bio requirement.

i don't even think my school has classes numbered over 200. i think they're reserved for graduate students maybe. 100 and up is upper division over here.

Any course that does not involve introductory biology should count as advanced level biology. Most courses that list introductory biology sequences as prerequisites are usually considered advanced level bio. If you are still not sure, check the graduation requirements for biology majors at your school and you will see all the advanced level courses that bio majors must take. Select one of them to fulfill the requirement.

I talked to Keith Williams in UIC's office of admissions and he made it clear to me that two courses from a behavioral science dept. (usually psych) are a REQUIREMENT. The third course may be a social science.
Looks like I gotta go take another psych course!

I have talked to three of my friends who interviewed there last year...two were put on the waitlist.

All them said they just put whatever for this requirement. My one friend put two history classes and one sociology. My other friend didn't really have very much so she put some random humanities courses. the one with the two history classes had a great shot at the school this year but I guess he was just a little too far down on the waitlist.

So, basically I am super confused about whether or not to apply.

Since this behavioral science prereq is quite new (within the last couple years or so), it's hard to say what they will and will not accept. I've never had to actually ask about this because I'm a psych minor and have taken 5 or 6 behavioral science courses. On the one hand, I would imagine that they would be somewhat lenient about this, since many people applying have likely not met requirement. On the other hand, they take is seriously enough to specifically ask you to list behavioral science courses you have taken. If pandabear called the admissions office and was told that it is a requirement, then I would assume that they mean business. Still, I would send in the secondary - you can always take the courses before you actually begin med school there (i.e. in the summer).

Regarding the advanced bio course, petros is correct - anything that requires general bio 1 and 2 (or requires a class that itself requires them) is considered advanced. The reason for this requirement is that UIC considers biology the most important part of the application. Even on the MCAT, they give most importance to bio, then physical, then verbal. According to UIC, they find that people who do poorly in bio (specifically) do poorly in their program.

wow, you really have the inside scoop, rxfudd. any other tips you can offer? i did set up a meeting with some guy in the admissions office when i wasn't admitted the first time around, but he wasn't very helpful at all.

i have to agree with rxfudd, scooby--i really consider the specific course requirements to be secondary at this point, since you can just take them sometime in the next year, if and when you're admitted. you might as well send in the secondary. i took zero psych courses in college but LOTS of humanities so i realize that i'm stretching it a bit with what i'm designating 'behavioral science', but i know that i'm certainly not the first person to do this and i'm not going to worry about it unless i'm admitted and choose to go to UIC. don't sweat it!

can the 200 level bio course req. be satisfied by a 200 level seminar? or does it have to be a legit 4 unit course?