UIC Status page changed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodboyof19

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My UIC status page has changed to " A final decision has been made......" Does anyone know what this means?

Members don't see this ad.

i received an acceptance package in the mail shortly after seeing that

goodboyof19 said:
My UIC status page has changed to " A final decision has been made......" Does anyone know what this means?

i got my acceptance the day after seeing that. so if you've already interviewed, it means your decision is in the mail. if you haven't already interviewed, that's probably bad news coming in the mail. Good luck to you...hope it's the big fat packet! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
jbrice1639 said:
i got my acceptance the day after seeing that. so if you've already interviewed, it means your decision is in the mail. if you haven't already interviewed, that's probably bad news coming in the mail. Good luck to you...hope it's the big fat packet! :luck:

i interviewed there last month. Do you know if it could still be bad news :confused: ???? Has anyone got a rejection/waitlist after seeing that status change?

goodboyof19 said:

It means a final decision has been made.

I just got the same status change message. Yea does any one know if anyone has gotten waitlisted/rejected upon receiving this update?

HOLY CRAP i got the same message!!! I have the same question.......has anyone been rejected after getting that??

good eye, goodboy. good eye.

according to the "wall of shame" nobody has been rejected yet. but i guess that doesn't mean much.

SpeedRacer said:
according to the "wall of shame" nobody has been rejected yet. but i guess that doesn't mean much.

My frustration and anxiety has been multiplying :confused:

i painstakingly looked through all of the mdapplicants pages of people who interviewed in 2006 at uic and nobody has been rejected yet.

omigod. i'm a loser.

by the way, when did you ppl interview? I was at Chicago campus nov 29 AM.

This is kinda scary. And to think I was just writing up my thank you card (I just got back from my second batch of interviews). I'm still going to do it, I just would hate to write it then get a rejection. But hopefully its good news!!

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
SpeedRacer said:
i painstakingly looked through all of the mdapplicants pages of people who interviewed in 2006 at uic and nobody has been rejected yet.

omigod. i'm a loser.

youre not a loser. quite understandably your frustration and anxiety are growing, just as i mentioned earlier.

goodboyof19 said:
by the way, when did you ppl interview? I was at Chicago campus nov 29 AM.

dec 7 pm (and I got the notice too)

"A final decision was made on your application on 12-19-05. Please allow two-weeks to receive the correspondence in the mail. If you do not receive this correspondence in two-weeks, please contact the Admissions Office. No decision will be given over the telephone."

I just wish they just rendered the decision on-line or through email. It seems like its either an acceptance or rejection, as being on the waitlist is not really final.

BerkeleyMD said:
...... as being on the waitlist is not really final.

I totally agree.

I can really use an acceptance now. It will be the best thing for this holiday season!

goodboyof19 said:
I totally agree.

I can really use an acceptance now. It will be the best thing for this holiday season!

Man, it would be the best thing that has ever happened- ever!

But we shouldn't get our hopes up, geez I am so anxious :scared:

:luck:

goodboyof19 said:
I totally agree.

Best of luck to you guys. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. I only have two on my left hand, so they serve this purpose well.

SpeedRacer said:
i don't know why i'm freaking out honestly, i'm gonna go to loyola either way i think.

thoughts? loyola v. uic?

I got that status update on the wed. before Thanksgiving and the acceptance letter was at my house on Saturday...so hopefully it'll be the same for all of you and you'll hear by Wed! Good luck :)

where does everyone live? who's gonna get it first? i'm a good 700some miles away

SpeedRacer said:
where does everyone live? who's gonna get it first? i'm a good 700some miles away

me in chicago suburbs. :scared:

SpeedRacer said:
ooooooo it's close!

i know. i hope all goes well at the mailbox tomorrow!! waiting for a big fat yellow manilla(?) envelope.

goodboyof19 said:
i know. i hope all goes well at the mailbox tomorrow!! waiting for a big fat yellow manilla(?) envelope.

white envelope!

I'm still waiting for the envelope like the rest of you. But I had a strange interview experience at UIC. Well I'm sitting in the reception area waiting for my third interviewer, and when it's my turn to go he directs me to his office and has me waiting. There's some newspaper on the table so I proceed to read them and when he comes in he tells me that i'm the only one that's actually read the paper from his desk. I'm scratching my head as he tells me than he tells me to unbutton my suit jacket because that makes him uncomfortable. We than start talking a little bit about healthcare and than says to me, "you have some pretty interesting experiences." Now i'm thinking all right lets talk about them, but than he goes to me, "all right just go and meet with the other interviewees your done with me." Totally dumbfounded, my shortest 15 minute interview. I don't know what to make out of this. So now i'm just sitting here like the rest of you waiting to see for the envelope. Just thought i should share.

busthwt said:
I'm still waiting for the envelope like the rest of you. But I had a strange interview experience at UIC. Well I'm sitting in the reception area waiting for my third interviewer, and when it's my turn to go he directs me to his office and has me waiting. There's some newspaper on the table so I proceed to read them and when he comes in he tells me that i'm the only one that's actually read the paper from his desk. I'm scratching my head as he tells me than he tells me to unbutton my suit jacket because that makes him uncomfortable. We than start talking a little bit about healthcare and than says to me, "you have some pretty interesting experiences." Now i'm thinking all right lets talk about them, but than he goes to me, "all right just go and meet with the other interviewees your done with me." Totally dumbfounded, my shortest 15 minute interview. I don't know what to make out of this. So now i'm just sitting here like the rest of you waiting to see for the envelope. Just thought i should share.

this is just being picky, but was it a table or his desk? because from what i've heard, you are never supposed to touch anything on the interviewer's desk (or put anything on the desk).

but that's a completely different subject. how did the other 2 go? i think if you got a weird vibe from one interviewer it's not going to hurt at all. i mean what is he going to say, "we shouldn't take this kid because he kept his suit buttoned when sitting down and read a newspaper." the other people on the committee will probably through out his opinion as though it were an aberration and move on. i think they realize that interviewers can be weird too. you'll be fine i'm sure.

oh and did your status page change?

SpeedRacer said:
but that's a completely different subject. how did the other 2 go? i think if you got a weird vibe from one interviewer it's not going to hurt at all. i mean what is he going to say, "we shouldn't take this kid because he kept his suit buttoned when sitting down and read a newspaper." the other people on the committee will probably through out his opinion as though it were an aberration and move on. i think they realize that interviewers can be weird too. you'll be fine i'm sure.

oh and did your status page change?

The other two went pretty good, the one with the student went pretty smooth and the one with the PHD went pretty good also. Yea I got the same status check and i'm in the same boat as everyone else, just waiting to see weather we get a big fat envelope or the skinny envelope.

busthwt said:
The other two went pretty good, the one with the student went pretty smooth and the one with the PHD went pretty good also. Yea I got the same status check and i'm in the same boat as everyone else, just waiting to see weather we get a big fat envelope or the skinny envelope.

you're totally in. weee!

I was actually pretty disapointed with my UIC interview experience. My invitation letter got lost in the mail, so by the time I checked my status page two weeks later and found out about the interview, the only sites left were in Peoria and Rockford. I ended up heading down to Peoria for the interview...and my first thought on seening UIC COM Peoria was 'oh my god...what a dump.' Honestly, my jr. high was in a larger, more modern, better maintained building than this place. The students looked depressed (then again theyre stuck in Peoria, so you can hardly blame them), and the faculty were less than enthusiastic (when we were touring the tiny library, the librarians urged us to come to UIC Peoria, become rich doctors, and donate tons of money so they could 'fix up this dump').

The interview was a three on one setup...2 part time faculty members and 1 M4 conducting 30-40 minute panel interviews. The two faculty members were constantly getting sidetracked...when I mentioned having volunteered at a particular hospital, one of them mentioned that his daughter was an attending there, and then he and the other professor went into a 5 minute discussion of what she was up to these days and what grade her kids were in. The worst part was when I mentioned which university I currently attend, on of the faculty interviewers went into a 5 minute spiel about how the medical school at my current university was so vastly superior to UIC's. It was so laughably unprofessional overall...hardly any way to try and convince anyone to go there.

I'm guessing the Chicago interviews were at least marginally better managed?

bon_vivant said:
I was actually pretty disapointed with my UIC interview experience. My invitation letter got lost in the mail, so by the time I checked my status page two weeks later and found out about the interview, the only sites left were in Peoria and Rockford. I ended up heading down to Peoria for the interview...and my first thought on seening UIC COM Peoria was 'oh my god...what a dump.' Honestly, my jr. high was in a larger, more modern, better maintained building than this place. The students looked depressed (then again theyre stuck in Peoria, so you can hardly blame them), and the faculty were less than enthusiastic (when we were touring the tiny library, the librarians urged us to come to UIC Peoria, become rich doctors, and donate tons of money so they could 'fix up this dump').

The interview was a three on one setup...2 part time faculty members and 1 M4 conducting 30-40 minute panel interviews. The two faculty members were constantly getting sidetracked...when I mentioned having volunteered at a particular hospital, one of them mentioned that his daughter was an attending there, and then he and the other professor went into a 5 minute discussion of what she was up to these days and what grade her kids were in. The worst part was when I mentioned which university I currently attend, on of the faculty interviewers went into a 5 minute spiel about how the medical school at my current university was so vastly superior to UIC's. It was so laughably unprofessional overall...hardly any way to try and convince anyone to go there.

I had a great experience at my Rockford interview and everything in the town seemed really cool. I totally wouldn't mind a year in Urbana (which I have yet to visit) and the remaining three years in Rockford. I can literally buy a house and mortgage it for less than what I paid for my 1-bdrm apt in Berkeley.

The site in Rockford was actually really nice and I drove through Chicago and visited that site and it was even better.

The best part of rockford is that it is in a small setting where even the students have the opportunity to diagnose and treat the patients(obviously after getting approval from an MD). They have much better contact with their professors and colleagues and this will help in getting good LOR for residency apps. Rockford has a wonderful matchlist. Ever wonder why doctors from third world country like India are one of the best. This is because of the training they go thru, treating people from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds learning different things from every patient. Patients from rural communities like rockford offer this level of diversity.
If you are into primary care then rockford is the place to be. PLus, as berkeleyMD said you would also enjoy cheap housing/living expenses.
My two $0.02

bon_vivant said:

interviews at chicago campus were one on one. two with faculty/adcom and one with student. I am surprised the rockford interviews were 3 on one. did you interview for md/phd or md?i think md/phd interviews are 3 on one at uic, or atleast they were until recently.

another empty day at the mailbox. This doesnt make sense..... i am like less than 20 miles away from UIC and my additional correspondence date is 12/19.
Did anyone else hear from uic...acceptance/rejection/waitlist???

nothing yet.

goodboyof19 said:
another empty day at the mailbox. This doesnt make sense..... i am like less than 20 miles away from UIC and my additional correspondence date is 12/19.
Did anyone else hear from uic...acceptance/rejection/waitlist???

Still nothing, give it a few more days. No more than a week. I am not even giving it much thought at this point. Waitlist it is!! :smuggrin:

obviously you guys have all interviewed there already, but i had a pre-interview question if you don't mind :)

how long did it take after you were complete for the interview invite to be made? i was complete 09/09 and i am growing quite sad :(

thanks!
good luck to those waiting to hear and congrats to those who have heard!
merry christmas!

Hahahah I bet we're all getting rejected :laugh:

Oh wait..... :(

goodboyof19 said:
interviews at chicago campus were one on one. two with faculty/adcom and one with student. I am surprised the rockford interviews were 3 on one. did you interview for md/phd or md?i think md/phd interviews are 3 on one at uic, or atleast they were until recently.

I dont know about Rockford, but Peoria definitely does three on one. I was interviewing for the regular MD program...and I remember back when I was interviewing for UIC GPPA in Chicago (when I was applying to college in '02), it was the exact same three on one set up. I assumed it was like a universal set up for UIC COM.

Who had Dr. Vary for their chicago interview. Man did he butcher me today about questions. Some were like...what else would you do? Also he put me to shame on teh topic of stem cell research. Man teh other two interviews went good, this guy killed me... I hope 2/3 won't cost me that much. How did you feel about Dr. Vary

TimmyTheWonderD said:
obviously you guys have all interviewed there already, but i had a pre-interview question if you don't mind :)

how long did it take after you were complete for the interview invite to be made? i was complete 09/09 and i am growing quite sad :(

thanks!
good luck to those waiting to hear and congrats to those who have heard!
merry christmas!

This may not help you, but I was not complete until Sept/Oct (for some reason the secondary was hard to complete). I got the invite in Nov and interviewed early in Dec.

Good Luck, hopefully you will hear from UIC soon. :luck:

Guys, I hate to burst your bubble but I got a rejection letter via snail mail from UIC, and my status page still says "application is in progress." =P

Pewl said:
Guys, I hate to burst your bubble but I got a rejection letter via snail mail from UIC, and my status page still says "application is in progress." =P

Pewl, was that post-interview?? If so, how soon after the interview did you get the letter?

hey guys, i got in!! just got the big thing in the mail today (i'm on the east coast)

BerkeleyMD said:
Pewl, was that post-interview?? If so, how soon after the interview did you get the letter?

pre-interview

SpeedRacer said:
hey guys, i got in!! just got the big thing in the mail today (i'm on the east coast)

No way!!! Awesome and Congrats!! :D

:luck: Come on big envelope :luck:

This is odd. I got an interview at Rush but I got rejected from UIC pre-interview. Both have similar numbers! Bah! They're right next to each other, too, heh.

Pewl said:
This is odd. I got an interview at Rush but I got rejected from UIC pre-interview. Both have similar numbers! Bah! They're right next to each other, too, heh.

this process makes no sense. i would rather go to rush than uic but they never interviewed me. i haven't heard a thing from them actually.