UIC vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dong 0730

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys I need help to choose between UIC and NYU. I'm in state of UIC. Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Guys I need help to choose between UIC and NYU. I'm in state of UIC. Thank you so much.

Why would you be considering NYU if you've been accepted into your state school? Your state school would be far less expensive. NYU is typically reserved for those without any other options.

Reactions: 4 users
Why would you be considering NYU if you've been accepted into your state school? Your state school would be far less expensive. NYU is typically reserved for those without any other options.

Based on what? I had acceptances to other schools and still chose NYU

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Based on what? I had acceptances to other schools and still chose NYU

Based on traditionally low average matriculating GPA's < 3.5, being one of the most expensive dental schools to attend in the country, and the extremely large class size (375 students admitted annually). It just makes for an obvious safety net school.

What are you talking about? Im a 4th year dental student at NYU, going into Harvard Orthodontics next year. NYU has opened so many doors for me. Props for NYU

Reactions: 1 user
Based on traditionally low average matriculating GPA's < 3.5, being one of the most expensive dental schools to attend in the country, and the extremely large class size (375 students admitted annually). It just makes for an obvious safety net school.
NYU's stats are actually pretty competitive now (average 3.5 oGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 21AA, 21TS).

The cost of attendance is still obscene though

CHEAPEST ONE. NO if, or, but. You wanna retire early at 47 like me? simply don't dig yourself into unnecessary debt so you can headstart toward financial independence earlier...the power of compound interests.

What are you talking about? Im a 4th year dental student at NYU, going into Harvard Orthodontics next year. NYU has opened so many doors for me. Props for NYU
Harvard orthodontics is ridiculously expensive ($75,000/year at least) and is like 3-4 years long. Dude what is your debt like!?

Go to NYU if you want to start your career on a financial crutch. There's absolutely no reason to pay more for a dental school than you have to. No dental school can adequately pack in everything you need to know about dentistry in 4 years. That would be absurd. Any little difference in terms of clinical competency between dental schools is insignificant. The smartest thing you can do for yourself is to attend the most cost effective dental school. NYU is anything but cost effective.

Beware of unscrupulous people on waitlist at their state schools preying on people with multiple acceptances to sway their decision to favor themselves and harm others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

This guy's full of s**t. Freakin' D2, if even that.
upload_2017-2-25_22-29-20.png

Reactions: 10 users
The my schools better than yours argument always makes me laugh. You are obviously going to be bias towards your program. No abundance of 'opportunities' is worth an additional 200k of debt, and that's not including NYC's cost of living. I'd argue that state schools give you an equal amount of training and experience at half the cost. It's a no brainer to me...cheaper is better.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The concern I would have about UIC is the Illinois budget crisis. Considering that a few decades ago both Northwestern and Loyola dental went under, it isn't inconceivable that UIC could too given their current lack of state funding. As one of the most expensive programs at any school, dentistry could potentially be first on the chopping block. They will never tell you that, and they may not want to admit it themselves.

I would just weigh that into the decision process.

I think you should quit the histrionics, NYU is a better choice than UIC. As an OMFS resident who was also a dental student here, the opportunities at NYU are more abundant that what could be found at any state school.

State schools better than NYU for half the cost.........UCLA UCSF UConnn...the list goes on.

Members don't see this ad :)
The concern I would have about UIC is the Illinois budget crisis. Considering that a few decades ago both Northwestern and Loyola dental went under, it isn't inconceivable that UIC could too given their current lack of state funding. As one of the most expensive programs at any school, dentistry could potentially be first on the chopping block. They will never tell you that, and they may not want to admit it themselves.

I would just weigh that into the decision process.

Think about what happened to MUSC... their instate tuition is private school level tuition because the state cut off all funding.

Harvard orthodontics is ridiculously expensive ($75,000/year at least) and is like 3-4 years long. Dude what is your debt like!?

Go to NYU if you want to start your career on a financial crutch. There's absolutely no reason to pay more for a dental school than you have to. No dental school can adequately pack in everything you need to know about dentistry in 4 years. That would be absurd. Any little difference in terms of clinical competency between dental schools is insignificant. The smartest thing you can do for yourself is to attend the most cost effective dental school. NYU is anything but cost effective.

Beware of unscrupulous people on waitlist at their state schools preying on people with multiple acceptances to sway their decision to favor themselves and harm others.

Are you trying to say I cant get into Harvard Orthodontics from NYU?. You are full of it.

Are you trying to say I cant get into Harvard Orthodontics from NYU?. You are full of it.

They are saying you haven't even finished dental school yet but claim you got into harvard ortho as a D2. Check your post history.

Unless NYU is soooooo good that they let you finish your degree in 2 years. And the super genius you are you matched into Harvard Ortho after only 2 years of dental school. Very impressive.

They are saying you haven't even finished dental school yet but claim you got into harvard ortho as a D2. Check your post history.

Unless NYU is soooooo good that they let you finish your degree in 2 years. And the super genius you are you matched into Harvard Ortho after only 2 years of dental school. Very impressive.
I know the month is still young, but you deserve Savage of the Month.

Yeah bro, NYU is full of geniuses sorry you are not part of it. Thats what happens when you are in the top 1% rank

I see why Stony Brook accepted you. I would commit sudoku with those stats.

Yup the schools looked at my practice scores not my actual scores in their admissions decision.

Reactions: 2 users
I am instate for UIC and i am attending OOS to another school (I'm an alt at UIC). While economically it could be better, I really don't think the school has much to offer besides they are in west side chicago ( not the chicago 90% of people think of). There are really no school resources such as study spaces. Heck their computer lab is just the hall way of the 3rd/4th floor. Their lecture rooms are old. Equipment is supposed to be old, unless you get placed in the new labs. You'll have to collect your teeth and make sure they are good for exams. Like you will pay thousands of dollars and can't have the proper tools provided. Something to really keep in mind. The school is quite dirty, except 2-3 clinics (students for sure are not using these). Like take a step back on interview day, the school is just a massive clinic, with some student hidden away upstairs.

I would say the biggest plus is the patients. I worked in the westside chicago area for dental assisting, and I have seen a lot of cases and helped a lot. I am not really scared to see weird things in people's mouths because of this. This honestly could be the best thing about UIC and probably is one of the top selling point. UIC just has so much to offer in patient care. The networking in the chicagoland area will help too. However, I had my dentist I shadowed who went to UIC recommend I go to my school now. She said the training will be much better, and UIC is just too much practice and too little patient care with equipment set up to fail.

FINANCIALLY THIS IS A GOOD CHOICE, but even then Marquette is the same as UIC since the cost of living and extras off set.

I do not know if this applies to other people, but I find they way an interview process goes and the staff's interactions are the real things to look for in deciding.

UIC DID NOT invest in their future candidates when they interviewed. This is a simple fact. I am not expecting fine dining, top the line snacks, and a butler. However, if UIC can not provide refreshments during interview day, have a proper tour ( our guide was literally going on the fly. rehearse and be professional and have coherent responses what you're responsible for knowing), and they didn't answer questions with bad answers.
I am speaking about the multiple questions about renovations delayed for a year being shrugged of.

If the school cannot keep an attention to detail and proper presentation during interview when they WANT to recruit you, then in my opinion its a red flag.
Plus almost every student that came into our Q&A said they just "go through it" they didnt say they enjoy it, they just said they are stressed, weird curriculum, and constant uncertainty about tuition and budget.
BUDGET PROBLEMS IN ILLINOIS ARE REAL AND ARE DIRECTLY AFFECTING THE COLLEGE OF DENTISTRY.

**I am locked into my school so I am not telling you yo switch, I just gave my plusses and minuses** I did really want to go to UIC, but the more I look into it, it will not be the best for my future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Cause if you had to choose UIC of NYU you would legitimately consider NYU for many reasons. I had a relative choose NYU of UIC for too many reasons NYU was better.

NYU is one of the worst schools to go to because:
1. Has one of the highest tuitions
2. Enormous class size (375) = you're basically another number and low prof/student ratio
3. Cut-edge competitive
4. I heard 10-15 people get kicked out/repeat the year every year
5. They've stopped a student from graduating just because she didn't bring them enough "money" and basically expelled her (proof:http://www.nycourts.gov/reporter/3dseries/2012/2012_06834.htm). It was in the news a few years back, trust me.

NYU is the last school I would attend.

NYU is one of the worst schools to go to because:
1. Has one of the highest tuitions
2. Enormous class size (375) = you're basically another number and low prof/student ratio
3. Cut-edge competitive
4. I heard 10-15 people get kicked out/repeat the year every year
5. They've stopped a student from graduating just because she didn't bring them enough "money" and basically expelled her (proof:http://www.nycourts.gov/reporter/3dseries/2012/2012_06834.htm). It was in the news a few years back, trust me.

NYU is the last school I would attend.

You know after reading this, UIC might be a lot more appealing

You know after reading this, UIC might be a lot more appealing
Yea good luck to anyone who chooses to go there.
NYU also has the lowest chances of specializing from all the other dental schools purely due to its class size.

NYU also has the lowest chances of specializing from all the other dental schools purely due to its class size.

I am pretty level on bias cause I have family that went to Nyu and then my dentist is UIC. But that court document seemed it got messy for both the student and the achool

You seem to know alot about this school. Are these your experiences that you've encountered during your time as a dental student there?

You seem to know alot about this school. Are these your experiences that you've encountered during your time as a dental student there?

Nope, I'm a pre-dent still. I have friends at NYU and they tell me these things all the time.

Sorry this is a really silly question....your debating your STATE SCHOOL vs an expensive private?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does Anyone know if NYU will still have a large waitlist movement post April?

I purposely moved out of New York City to establish residency in Illinois and attend UIC. Even at UIC, tuition is absurd and loan repayment will be painful. Why on earth anyone would choose a 100k+ school (without cost of living) in one of the most expensive cities in the world is beyond me. Horrible financial decision and number one reason not to go to New York.

UIC gets a bad rap for the old building, but all of the clinics and even preclinical have been updated in the past 4 years and are very nice. Our new dean is making every effort for improvements. Unfortunately, UIC does not own the dental building, it's owned by the state, and every decision for remodeling and improvements goes through them. Changes cannot be made quickly or easily.

In terms of computer labs and lecture halls - who cares? I think my first year or so I spent at school the most and we certainly complained about where we sat. After that, I'm never there except for lab or clinic and neither is anyone else and I don't even give the lecture halls a second thought. The amount of time you actually use a study room or computer lab over the course of your education is insignificant and not worth paying thousands more in tuition. There's a library a block away if you really want official study space.

Clinically, we have so many patients with different needs and great access to all the specialties. I hear of a lot of schools struggling to find enough patients for their students to get experience. Dental school sucks in general, but I can't image going to a school where I'm fighting over a single crown or paying for someone's denture because I need one to graduate. I will have plenty of experience when I graduate and am not worried about that.