UIC vs SLU vs NSUMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The.Process.76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
UIC

Pros
  • Mainly lecture-based curriculum, which fits my learning style
  • P/F the first two years with no internal rankings
  • Closest to home/support network
  • Best match list out of all my choices
  • IS tuition

Cons
  • Administration seems to be slow and unorganized (still don't have a campus assignment)
  • Not sure how much I would like the location -- I feel I might get overwhelmed living in Chicago, but Peoria/Rockford might be too small
  • Weather sucks

SLU

Pros
  • Lecture-based curriculum
  • P/F the first two years
  • Emphasis on community service
  • Student wellness

Cons
  • Don't really like St. Louis
  • Weather sucks
  • On probation
  • Most expensive

NSUMD

Pros
  • Full tuition scholarship
  • Nice weather
  • Small class size
  • P/F the first two years
  • Research included with the curriculum

Cons
  • Brand new school
  • Still figuring things out
  • Far away from home
  • PBL curriculum might be stressful for me
  • Might have to travel for rotations
  • May not be competitive enough for certain specialties

I am leaning strongly towards NSU because of the scholarship, but I am worried I may end up struggling with matching into the specialty (right now, I have no preference) I choose down the road.

Members don't see this ad.

From your lists, it seems like UIC is the winner in my eyes. It's a great and well-known institution with an amazing match list. Also, I really wouldn't underestimate the ability to have a support system nearby. If the in-state tuition isn't too bad, I'd say go for it - you could maybe even use your NSU scholarship as leverage to receive one from UIC?

That being said, I do agree a full scholarship is hard to pass up. But if you fear you'll have trouble matching into a preferred specialty, I'd really consider that in your final decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How would the COA over 4 years compare for UIC and NSU?

I haven't done all the math, but I'd guess it would end up being at least $150k cheaper to attend NSU.

That's odd that you don't have your UIC campus placement yet. When were you admitted?

I was admitted last month. I've called the office a few times, but they've given me no update

I’d decide between UIC and NSU because debt is an important factor and the schools you’re deciding on are comparable. I’m leaning towards UIC because it’s established and close to home. Having a support system nearby is huge when things get stressful.

I am leaning strongly towards NSU because of the scholarship, but I am worried I may end up struggling with matching into the specialty (right now, I have no preference) I choose down the road.

What are your career goals? Primary care in the southeast? Or ortho at HSS? Something in the Midwest?

Sounds like you could easily trim your debt burden at UIC and pay it off in 3-4 years.

I ended up getting Peoria. Not gonna lie, as time’s gone on, I’m regretting my decision. I know it would be ridiculous, but part of me wants to withdraw and reapply next cycle. I hope this just ends up being a case of grass is greener.

I ended up getting Peoria. Not gonna lie, as time’s gone on, I’m regretting my decision. I know it would be ridiculous, but part of me wants to withdraw and reapply next cycle. I hope this just ends up being a case of grass is greener.

The UIC name is impressive, no matter which campus you are on, so please don't reapply.

We will miss you at NSUMD!

Good luck.

That would be be stupidest decision you could ever make lol. Be grateful you’ll be fine.